Other than being an Eva and/or general anime-related geek...

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Other than being an Eva and/or general anime-related geek...

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:11 pm

what other hobbies are you people into...if any?

Me: Cars (Audi)...i.e. tuning, road track events, and drag racing.
Alex D.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:29 pm

Hobby - that means you do it for fun, right...?

That counts out gardening, which is like housework, only outdoors, even though I list it on my CV under "Other interests".

And since I got broadband, the temptation just to veg out chatting has eaten into the coding for fun I used to do, as well as the reading SF, software engineering and all manner of weird stuff...

I'm not sure cycling counts as a hobby either, although it is something I enjoy (because it gives me an endorphin shot) doing in good weather rather than driving to the office, and I do try to take at least one cycling holiday a year. The same can be said for photography, where I just take advantage of the freedom that a digital camera gives (when you've got the equivalent of 5 rolls of reusable film in your hands, you can shoot enough that some of it is bound to come out "just so"!

That just leaves self-publicity... :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, and Cross Country Skiing would be my most common hobbies. Sadly I don’t have enough time to enjoy these as much as I would like to. And CC Skiing has been hard these past few years due to a rather annoying lack of snow.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:43 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Hobby - that means you do it for fun, right...?

That just leaves self-publicity... :D

:lol:

The others count as well...even gardening I suppose. :wink:

Photography is a hobby I want to get into eventually. The flexibility that it provides is definitely desireable. However, it seems that it would get somewhat expensive since I already have friends in that hobby and it becomes quite addictive as far as acquiring the gear.

@Hunter: It's nice to know other people balance out things with nature related hobbies. I do not CC Ski much but am more of an avid Downhill skiier.
Alex D.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:58 pm

Computers, internet addiction, sci-fi, bootleging anime, and trying to kill bill gates.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Humm...
Drawing, reading, surfing the web, Video games, TALKING. GOD. I LOVE TALKING. Cooking. Uhm....

I do a lot of other stuff, too.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:13 pm

I have no hobies because I am not good at anything.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:15 pm

Shnooks wrote:Humm...
Drawing, reading, surfing the web, Video games, TALKING. GOD. I LOVE TALKING. Cooking. Uhm....

So Shnooks, what do you like to cook? I love to eat. In fact, I indulge too much at times.
Alex D.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:24 pm

Digitalex wrote:
Shnooks wrote:Humm...

So Shnooks, what do you like to cook? I love to eat. In fact, I indulge too much at times.

Okay, I love to eat, but I don't eat enough.

What do I cook? Well, I cook a lot of like..ah, I don't know how to generalize it, but Kugel (Potato Kugel, i'm good at) and Matzo ball soup - that kind of stuff that growing up jewish I should know.

I also make Japanese food and interesting stir fry. My sushi is pretty good, concidering i'm an amateur.

I used to bake a lot too - bread, cookies, pasteries. You name it, if I could make it, I would.

I also have a knack for making dog/cat food - Raw ground turkey/beef, carrots, oatmeal, some veggie oil and some vitamins, and you have the cheapest dog/cat food on earth. Also, dog cookies with wheat germ and powdered milk. Haven't tried any of this yet, but the animals love it.

Ohoh, breakfast food, too. Eggs and potatoes. Ah! And baked grapefruit <3

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:05 pm

I draw and tell other people how wrong they are.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:12 pm

Phaze wrote:I draw and tell other people how wrong they are.

You got any works uploaded?

@Shnooks: You got me hungry, especially breakfast because that's my forte, eating and cooking that is...but baked Grapefruit? That's a new one.
Alex D.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:38 pm

Digitalex wrote:
Phaze wrote:I draw and tell other people how wrong they are.

You got any works uploaded?

@Shnooks: You got me hungry, especially breakfast because that's my forte, eating and cooking that is...but baked Grapefruit? That's a new one.

Works, not so much. Sloppy 10 minute mouse-drawn doodles, however. This just sort of spontaneously came into existence, I have no clue what events are actually being depicted in this scene.

And the grapefruit thing, can't say I'd be too eager to try it. Mostly because I can't even stand the bittereness of raw grapefruit, but also because I only like fresh fruit. That freeze-dried stuff that comes with cereal freaks me out.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:10 pm

Phaze wrote:
And the grapefruit thing, can't say I'd be too eager to try it. Mostly because I can't even stand the bittereness of raw grapefruit, but also because I only like fresh fruit. That freeze-dried stuff that comes with cereal freaks me out.

Freeze-dried grapefruit? What?

Well, actually, what you do is you get the red grapefruits, cut them in half so you see it like...er...like this:

and then, each individual "section" you cut out, so you can scoop it out easier. You just put some cinnamin on top and bake it at like, 350 degrees farenheight. You wait till it gets kind of soft and mushy, and its all juicy, so you gotta eat it over a bowl. It's still sour, but I love grapefruits.

Momma used to make them for me for breakfast on the weekends. >_>

Edit: WAITWAIT...ARTWHORING?

http://shnooks.deviantart.com

/end whore

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:20 pm

Shnooks wrote:Freeze-dried grapefruit? What?

[url]http://www.swurls.com/Endorsement.aspx?2005-07-25[/url]

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:01 pm

When not dealing with geeks online or indulging in cartoons from across the Pacific, I make music. Well, make is a strong word. I imagine music. I'm about a course away from being a certified notator (word? it should be), but I'm still not really comfortable with expressing musical ideas through a pen. The big downside, in my case, is that I was a very lazy child, and as of yet have no real abilities as an instrumentalist. I play a little guitar, haphazardly, and play around with synths, occasionally. Much of my music-making abilites comes at the aid of sequencers; occasionally, I'll get lucky and manage to do a concept justice with my own two hands.A lot of times I'll save an idea as a MIDI and then leave it rotting on a floppy disk somewhere. I've produced probably solid days upon solid days of music and yet have not put together a single real song or composition. If only it weren't for that damn anime.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:15 pm

I do a lot of Linux advocacy/support (and maintaining my own Gentoo system takes time as well).

I go running about five days a week.

When the weather's better, I go sailing and work on my boat.

I suppose that being a news/information/politics junkie is also a hobby. RSS has been good to me.

Someday, I might get back into teaching myself Japanese. Or playing video games. Or teaching myself Japanese through a video game.

PieRat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PieRat » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:23 pm

My hobbies?

I every now and then play tennis and when I can I go snowboarding.

And I'm a world of warcraft addict

And Internet is my hobby too i guess, I couldn't live a day without checking some pages every hour.

And I also p4wn people in fps games(Cs source, Hl2 deathmatch are the ones that i play), though I don't play them very much, only when the wow servers are down. Owning is great fun :wink:

Oh, and I really like action movies!
Last edited by PieRat on Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:32 am

drinian wrote:I do a lot of Linux advocacy/support (and maintaining my own Gentoo system takes time as well).

Ahh, I remember that all too well during Otakon. :wink:

PieRat wrote:And I'm a world of warcraft addict

I have a friend who started playing that 6 months ago. I have not heard back from him since. :shock:

Hexon.Arq wrote:I imagine music.

What types of genre do you imagine? I vaguely remember asking you something like this over at AN a while back.
Alex D.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:52 am

Hhmmmmm. Lets see

Drawing...
Eating good food
Racing like a maniac and crashing cars
Living it up on the edge
Partying like a mofo
Drinking Jacks till I drop
Substituting jacks with tequila incase no jacks is available
Swimming
Chatting up and teasing the living shit out of girls and making them think their getting laid, then leave him hanging...
Anything Star Wars related....
List to music.
Indulging in some narcotics....

Can't think of anything else at the mo...
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:00 am

Pleasing myself. (Wanking)
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”