I'm feeling raped by anime. How about you?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:00 pm

Digitalex wrote:I don't know how I feel about the releasing subs only option. For one thing, I feel it gives VAs a job. Jobs are good. However, I feel that the dubs should be held to a higher standard. I know he is anal about preserving originality and all but there are times when it's just more comfortable listening to something spoken vs. reading the words when watching.

I think watching FLCL in English was a much better experience than in Japanese -- in fact, I still haven't finished the series subbed. That was a quality dub.

The problem is, I don't think there's a market big enough for a lot of niche anime to justify the effort and talent required to record a decent dub. It would be nice if the dub wasn't a virtual requirement, at least, for a show to be released in the US.

Anyone want to start an anime distribution company with me to do this? I have a list of about four unlicensed shows I'd like to see come here...

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:21 pm

Titus wrote:Ill leech anime when i want and no1 will tell me otherwise....

Death to the system, helloooooo piracy!

You have certainly changed your opinion about piracy.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:00 am

You say that like it's a bad thing....

I just think of myself as Han Solo, in Anime.....
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:19 am

Titus wrote:You say that like it's a bad thing....

I just think of myself as Han Solo, in Anime.....

Here we go with the Star war analagies :roll:

I feel sorry for anime fans in america seen as somethime the get low disc counts per dvd.

Here in australia its a bit better.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:37 am

Timesplitter 01 wrote:Here in australia its a bit better.

Of course, you guys just license your English dubs from the American companies, right?

/me imagines an Australian dub of Evangelion...

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 am

Higher ep counts per a disc anit bad

I think or Gantz we are getting 4 or 5 eps on a dvd :D .

Compared to the 2 ep per dvd count in america.

I just figure out that by the time america get to see 17 and 18 in november we get eps 13, 14, 15, 16 in december.

And no we dont dub the voices of any of the animes, we get it from america. Only some of the narrations and we fix america's crappy english subtitles :P

Plus some times we better stuff with the Volume 1 + box

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:13 am

drinian wrote:
Timesplitter 01 wrote:Here in australia its a bit better.

Of course, you guys just license your English dubs from the American companies, right?

/me imagines an Australian dub of Evangelion...

LOLOLOLOL!!!! You've got me imagining Gendo or Fuyutski being VAed by Paul Hogan.

However...Misato with Nicole Kidman's voice...yummmm...yeah, I can dig it. :D
Alex D.

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:50 am

sachiel wrote:I'm 14. I have no job during the school year. If I do get a job, it's only gonna pay me $5.15 an hour.

Buying DVDs is expensive, so...I don't own too many. I usually just download stuff, unless I really want DVD-quality, like EM said. I have no way of paying for it! And when I do, something always comes up, and there's gonna be something more important for me to buy (ex. - I have around $100. I'd like to spend it on videogames or anime DVDs, but my drawing tablet broke. So I need to buy a new one. They cost about $100.)

The anime industry is for kids whose parents are loaded. :(

Hehe, indeed... I buy anime/manga as long I have cash though, which I rarely have.
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Heh. That's the advantage of living in Sweden, where very few anime are licensed. Those titles that are licensed are easy to rent, and those who aren't are ripe for the take on the net.

And yes, I downloaded Elfen Lied via BitTorrent as well. It's quite possibly the best decision I've ever made.
Asuka > Rei

Return to “Anime and Manga”