EoE the aftermath

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 am

Split from http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10347

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The black moon got yanked out of the Earth right under the city and it's wider by far than Tokyo-3's city limits
13.75km diameter, a footprint which at some point ought to get plotted on one of the Tokyo-3 and environs maps. Never mind the after-effects of opening such a pit close to the ocean and in the middle of a volcanically active region.

The geoengineering aspects of EoE are the most underplayed parts when it comes to after-the-End fics (but that's the other bee in my bonnet, I guess).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:09 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The geoengineering aspects of EoE are the most underplayed parts when it comes to after-the-End fics

At a glance it appears that a hole 13.75 km in diameter, starting around the north end of Ashinoko (which is where Tokyo-3 is, if memory serves; I'm working off a Hakone map here) probably won't touch the sea unless it's gone a substantial amount further inland since Second Impact. Technically speaking, it's barely just big enough to wipe Ashinoko out, but then again Ashinoko itself is pretty fucked up by this point.

Don't know enough about geology to comment at length on the depth, but the crust goes substantially deeper than 13.75 km if memory serves...so at least there's not molten metal flying out or something. Earth's going to be having Rei winter for the next fifty years anyway, it doesn't need that to deal with.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:58 am

According to this study the crust thickness of the Hakone region is about 30km so mantle exposure isn't going to happen. In such a geologically active area, however, it is very reasonable to assume that one or more volcanic magma chambers could be exposed in the process.

This diagram should illustrate why Tokyo-3 isn't going to still exist post-3I, and I'm guessing the circled region on this map is the extent of the geofront (about 6km diamater... less than half of the size of the full black moon) beneath the landscape.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:42 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's not like he didn't foreshadow both charecters' ends well before the time came though (check the Pen^2 scene again), so it's far from just shoehorned in there.

What really does bug me, however (and in most post-3I fics), is the idea that there's still a town left to wander about in. The black moon got yanked out of the Earth right under the city and it's wider by far than Tokyo-3's city limits, so what the hell town is left? It should be just some random debris, and certainly no intact shops full of snacks and whatnot. Even worse are fics where Nerv HQ is somehow still down there... but I digress. Pet peeve.

It's conceivable that at least some of the outskirts are still there, but yeah, pretty unlikely. There are buildings shown in the final scene, though.

Also, it's a modern metropolitan area; 13.75 kilometers is nothing.

If you don't like the person you were, is ending up a different person really such a bad thing though?

No, but I'm not sure that applies in this case.

My favorite part of the fic was not Asuka however (though that wasn't bad), but rather the exploration of how Shinji and Misato dealt with her condition. Lots of stuff there that absolutely rings true, though depressing all the same.

True.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:50 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:There are buildings shown in the final scene, though.

For all we know the final scene doesn't even take place in Japan. I'd guess, though, that it probably occurs somewhere along the Sagami Bay, ~15 km to the east - well outside the area that would have been excavated by the Black Moon, but still suitably devastated by all the ridiculous shit that just went down. In which case the buildings would be from...I don't know, Odawara or something.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Also, it's a modern metropolitan area; 13.75 kilometers is nothing.

No, given what we're shown of Tokyo-3 it'd fit easily into 13.75 km. Hakone is not a big town, and Tokyo-3 is mostly Nerv's associates.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The geoengineering aspects of EoE are the most underplayed parts when it comes to after-the-End fics (but that's the other bee in my bonnet, I guess).

interesting facts. link reminded me again how fucked the world really is after the events. just think about how giant naked Rei is going to smell after a couple of days exposed to the sun. the horror.
Last edited by Fireball on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:56 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:No, given what we're shown of Tokyo-3 it'd fit easily into 13.75 km. Hakone is not a big town, and Tokyo-3 is mostly Nerv's associates.

Even small towns these days are more than 8 miles in diameter. This is especially true when they support a prominent military base (hell, military bases are often more than 8 miles across, to say nothing of the towns around them).

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:probably won't touch the sea unless it's gone a substantial amount further inland since Second Impact.
It's likely that the massive splashes we see happening out in the Pacific will cause significant tsunami events that could go far inland as well.

I need to draw an appropriately sized ring on this http://www.evacommentary.org/images_production/environs-map.jpg but it will clearly encompass all the above-ground developed area shown on that map.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:01 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It's likely that the massive splashes we see happening out in the Pacific will cause significant tsunami events that could go far inland as well.

Ironically, they probably wouldn't be felt much in Japan. Sucks to be in the U.S. though.

y3k
Embryo

Postby y3k » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:19 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Earth's going to be having Rei winter for the next fifty years anyway, it doesn't need that to deal with.

Unless it's caused by a possible bout of super-volcanism, that's doubtful. From where Shinji and Asuka are at the end in reference to Rei, if Rei had shot dust/smoke/dirt/whatever into the air, they'd have seen that and the wonderful Rain of Fire resulting from it rather than a pristine clear sky.

In other words, thank god she landed in the ocean.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:49 pm

This should be pretty close. The darker portion indicates the geofront, the brighter is the full area of the black moon.

Of course, the "pink eye" blast that pulled the moon free probably destroyed the landscape still further out than this, followed by the effects of the surrounding earth collapsing into the crater and accompanied by probable earthquakes and lava discharge from magma chambers, the destruction is going to be very impressive... and that's before GNR comes tumbling down, after which all bets are off.

Also note that this is with current landscapes... the rising ocean level after 2I means the coastline should actually be much closer to Tokyo 3 than this photo indicates.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:04 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This should be pretty close. The darker portion indicates the geofront, the brighter is the full area of the black moon.

What's the scale on that map?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I don't remember exactly... somewhere around 1 3/4 in = 5km, I think.

I used googlemaps zoomed to the point that it showed a 5km scale, used that to measure out the geofront, placed it according to the previous map I linked a few posts ago, then scaled up a copy of that overlay circle for the black moon.
Last edited by NemZ on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:15 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This should be pretty close. The darker portion indicates the geofront, the brighter is the full area of the black moon.

Of course, the "pink eye" blast that pulled the moon free probably destroyed the landscape still further out than this, followed by the effects of the surrounding earth collapsing into the crater and accompanied by probable earthquakes and lava discharge from magma chambers, the destruction is going to be very impressive... and that's before GNR comes tumbling down, after which all bets are off.

Also note that this is with current landscapes... the rising ocean level after 2I means the coastline should actually be much closer to Tokyo 3 than this photo indicates.

Impressive. I'm going to have to remember all this for my next fic. Does anyone have the EoE screenshots to compare?
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:23 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't remember exactly... somewhere around 1 3/4 in = 5km, I think.

I used googlemaps at the scale where it showed 5km as a scale, used that to measure out the geofront, placed it according to the previous map I linked a few posts ago, then scaled up a copy of that overlay circle for the black moon.

That's interesting, then. I have to wonder how much urbanization happened with Tokyo-3's development; there's plenty of city all around that region, but nothing in the actual area of the geofront. The city we actually saw fits the scale of, say Gotenba (which is sitting there on the border of the black moon's egress point, meaning urbanization in post-EoE fanfics is perfectly legit).

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Except all the previously linked references show that Tokyo-3 is not that big at all, it's just very densely packed. Having post-3I adventures in the ruins of Gotenba or another nearby city is a possibility but Tokyo-3 is definately not.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:38 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Except all the previously linked references show that Tokyo-3 is not that big at all, it's just very densely packed. Having post-3I adventures in the ruins of Gotenba or another nearby city is a possibility but Tokyo-3 is definately not.

I really don't think we have enough info on the layout of the city to say that for certain. For all we know Tokyo-3 and Gotemba might amount to a metroplex.

In any event the issue is less "is Tokyo-3 still around?" and more "is it reasonable to have the kids looting around in the ruins of a city?" That latter question merits a definite affirmative, which means the rest is just details.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I really don't think we have enough info on the layout of the city to say that for certain. For all we know Tokyo-3 and Gotemba might amount to a metroplex.

In any event the issue is less "is Tokyo-3 still around?" and more "is it reasonable to have the kids looting around in the ruins of a city?" That latter question merits a definite affirmative, which means the rest is just details.

Agreed. After all, Asuka needs new clothing, and Shinji needs something to cook with. Abandoned and ruined buildings for them at that point will be like Christmas in may.
Interesting Quote:
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Keep in mind the coastlines probably changed a little bit from the sea-level rising.

More on the actual Geofront's rising here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=179105#179105

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:54 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Keep in mind the coastlines probably changed a little bit from the sea-level rising.

More on the actual Geofront's rising here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=179105#179105

Thanks again Ornette, next time you stop by Baltimore I owe you a beer man.
Interesting Quote:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”