What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm currently watching - among other things - Aoi Bungaku/Blue Literature. I liked the first story well enough, but MY GOD, I totally fell in love with the second one. It was just a bizarre, dazzling experience, and I was totally bummed to find out that the songs from it weren't released separately.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Hourou Musuko 3

THIS SHOW

THEM COLORS

THAT ED ANIMATION/SONG

Seriously, why in the hell didn´t I watch this earlier?
:(

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Because you're daft? :grin:

Chiba and Chi are the best characters, by the way. Especially Chi!

Anna is awesome too

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Anna and Chi are the best characters.

The ED is amazing though. I don't know if the Hourou Musuko or the GoSick is the best of the season... They both have English/Japanese which I like a lot. Wait until you get into the current episodes.. You'll be like he's going out with her!?!
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:32 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Anna and Chi are the best characters.

Chiba is like this somewhat less messed up Asuka with pigtails to me which means she is moe as hell. Like a poor, snarky and clearly intelligent (and at the same time mature and extremely immature) little sister in beginning of puberty. In any case someone who desperately needs a hug. Poor girl, I hope she has "a happy end" :(

Chi and Anna just ooze of awesomeness :lol:

I like that kind, petite twintails loli too. She reminds me of Chiyo-chan :)

Meh, I don't really dislike anyone. Well, that Doi guy is something of a asshole....

Hourou Musuko has best art direction of the season, FWIW

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I don't know if the Hourou Musuko or the GoSick is the best of the season...

I think Hourou wins simply for doing that Japanese/English thing right and not the Engrish way (Not that I think Gosick's OP is bad, it's very good even, but it's rare to see it blend as well as with Hourou's ED)
Last edited by toe mash on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 pm

^
Yeah, Hourou Musuko just looks GORGEOUS, although I was kind of confused at first whenever Chiba untied her pigtails.
She looks like a completely different person with her hair open!
I thought that she was another character in the cast for the first 2 episodes until she started blabbering about hating Takatsuki...

:lol:

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:39 pm

toe mash wrote:I think Hourou wins simply for doing that Japanese/English thing right and not the Engrish way

I downloaded the single of it and she sings two other songs with some English. It sounds like she's fluent in it.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:45 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^
Yeah, Hourou Musuko just looks GORGEOUS

I think ANN's review nailed its greatness in the review for eps 1-5. As of now I'd rate it as third best anime airing right now after Madoka and Star Driver.

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:although I was kind of confused at first whenever Chiba untied her pigtails.
She looks like a completely different person with her hair open!
I thought that she was another character in the cast for the first 2 episodes until she started blabbering about hating Takatsuki...

:lol:

yeah I remember being a bit confused in the beginning :lol:

I love it whenever she pulls one of those "wait what did that first year girl just say that" moves

out of nowhere :lol:

She's little miss snarker alright. :)

As for ED, after Madoka's Magia it's the best of the season. It's just so delicate and beautifully animated - and the character animation is wonder to behold in its minimalism

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:56 pm

I came into the first episode expecting traps, but I got gay kids crossdressing and MIDDLESCHOOL drama.
Heh, maybe I´ll catch up on Star Driver too before the finale if I can make some spare time.

But on a more unrelated note:
Where´s symbv?

edit:too tired to type, coherent sentences impossible
Good night, everyone

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:58 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Image

She and Madoka's mom ought to get together and booze it up :lol:

(also, wtf happened to Madoka's parents? They kind of just vanished from the story. If they don't get eaten by Kyubey or Wallpaper Night I'm going to be pretty disappoint with Butch)

View Original PostXard wrote:As for ED, after Madoka's Magia it's the best of the season.

Doesn't hold a candle to Magia for me...although Magia is best ED in years so that's not an entirely fair comparison.

Actually, have there been any really good EDs these last few years? I seriously can't think of even one I thought was great. Maybe SZS is good, I guess. I seem to remember Black Lagoon had a good one too but I can't recall what it was.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Doesn't hold a candle to Magia for me...although Magia is best ED in years so that's not an entirely fair comparison.

uhh, I did say "after Magia" :P

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Actually, have there been any really good EDs these last few years? I seriously can't think of even one I thought was great. Maybe SZS is good, I guess. I seem to remember Black Lagoon had a good one too but I can't recall what it was.

Sure, plenty of them :uhh:

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:02 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Because you're daft? :grin:

Chiba and Chi are the best characters, by the way. Especially Chi!

Anna is awesome too
I never really cared for Chi. It wasn't until you get to see her at work and find out that there’s a lot more to her then just her load outbursts that my feelings towards her changed. Now she’s one of my favorites.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Xard wrote:I'd rate it as third best anime airing right now after Madoka and Star Driver.
I can't decide between third best or fourth best of the current season, but I'm not making and judgment calls until the season ends and I can post all of my thoughts at once.

I think you're insane for liking the ED though. It's boring melodramatic crap. I WANNAAA CRYYYYYYY FOR YOUUUUUUU christ just shut up

Azathoth wrote:(also, wtf happened to Madoka's parents? They kind of just vanished from the story. If they don't get eaten by Kyubey or Wallpaper Night I'm going to be pretty disappoint with Butch)
Yeah I mentioned that a couple weeks ago; I kept hoping Mom would show up again in some "what a twist!" moment, but that hasn't happened. I don't think it will, either.

Azathoth wrote:Actually, have there been any really good EDs these last few years? I seriously can't think of even one I thought was great. Maybe SZS is good, I guess. I seem to remember Black Lagoon had a good one too but I can't recall what it was.
Tatami Galaxy's ED was fantastic. In fact that was one of the few shows I enjoyed both the OP & ED.

Index II's current ED isn't bad, either.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote: Tatami Galaxy's ED was fantastic. In fact that was one of the few shows I enjoyed both the OP & ED.

This. So Hard.
I love the Tatami Galaxy OP & ED songs, as soon as I became addicted to them in the show I went and got them.

Another series with great OP & ED is Eden of the East, the use of Oasis in the OP was perfect and 'Futuristic Imagination' by School Food Punishment in the ED is just jaw-droppingly.... jaw-droppingly jaw-dropping.
Voluntary Illusion.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:26 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Tatami Galaxy's ED was fantastic. In fact that was one of the few shows I enjoyed both the OP & ED.

Oh shit, I totally forgot that. Yeah, that was quite good actually, kind of mesmerizing. I still really like Magia, though. Kind of handles the "descent into madness" thing better than the show itself IMO
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Woah. Things got real in episode 10, Hourou Musuko. Doi is the equivalent of Ken from Kimi ni Todoke. You just want to hit them. Chi was even more awesome than normal. BUT WHY ANNA!!?! I supposed it was doomed from the start but I like Anna, now she must leave the main story! I didn't know that woman was a transsexual.. was I just not paying attention or was the just recently revealed?

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:25 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote: I didn't know that woman was a transsexual.. was I just not paying attention or was the just recently revealed?
SPOILER: Show
Don't you remember Doi getting hit with a Shock Max in the previous episode? It's the same chick.

On a completely unrelated note, Fractale left a bad taste in my mouth this week.
I am utterly sick and tired of what a completely spineless wimp Phryne is.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:27 am

EvangelionFan wrote:Another series with great OP & ED is Eden of the East, the use of Oasis in the OP was perfect and 'Futuristic Imagination' by School Food Punishment in the ED is just jaw-droppingly.... jaw-droppingly jaw-dropping.
Yeah, as much as I wasn't a fan of their songs, the animation for the OP & ED for Eden was fantastic (I'll take Oasis over whatever Funi replaced the OP with, though). I have to admit that all of Kamiyama's shows have great OPs. The paper cut-out stuff in the ED was cool, too.

Azathoth wrote:I still really like Magia, though. Kind of handles the "descent into madness" thing better than the show itself IMO
I like it to. The lyrics and the imagery of the ending drive home a very nihilistic mood of desperation that the show revolves around, especially the sense of a heroine running toward an indefinable light, only to find that once this light is attained, there is only darkness left to gaze at. The dualism in that show is inescapable, so it makes sense that such a depiction would show up in the credits. Plus, well, Kalafina.

----
Anyway, I'm trying to finish the second season/series of Higurashi that I had dropped more than a year ago, and afterward I'll get to Rei. The only reason I'm making an effort to do such a thing is because more Higurashi OVAs were announced for July, so I might as well use this as an excuse to just finish what I'd started. Plus I was only 8 episodes to the end, anyway...

Also watched the first Di Gi Charat series & a bunch of specials. Holy christ wtf did I just watch--I know it was little more than a vacuous mascot advertising... something... but more than that I feel like Madhouse just raped my poor brain.

Oh yeah, and Garzey's Wing. HAHAHA OH WOW. Absolutely brilliant underrated work from the OVA boom. I finally watched the whole thing last night. Oh god :rofl:

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:37 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:
Don't you remember Doi getting hit with a Shock Max in the previous episode? It's the same chick.

Yes she was there since the beginning of the series. I was just wondering if we recently learned that. I guess so. I watched 9 and 10 together.

Return to “Old Stickies”