Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

EvaGeeks' Favorite Anime in 2010

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:48 am

I was inspired by the Newtype Top 10 lists to come up with the following idea: what if we, the EvaGeeks, compiled our own top lists of this year's anime? With different categories like shows, characters, seiyuus and so forth. If I organized that how many of you would participate? I think it would be reasonable to start voting once the current anime season ends.

If this idea gains enough popularity I would be more than glad to work together with you to make it truly EvaGeeks-esque. I would be willing to take care of counting all the votes and posting the results so that won't be an issue. Here are a few questions for those who would love to do it:

1. Which categories should we include?
Obviously we will have "Best Show of the Year". What about characters and seiyuus? The latter provides us with a problem: should we vote on a single performance or all 2010 performances by the same seiyuu - or both separately? And should we give films and OVAs their own categories? Do you have any other categories in mind?

2. Which shows should we include?
a) Only the ones that both began and ended in 2010
b) Including the ones that only ended or began in 2010

3. How should the voting system work?
I bet most of us agree that it would be unreasonable to vote for only one entry in each category since there were so many great shows this year. At first I thought it would be neat if everyone created a Top 5/10 list with certain position giving certain number of points that would then be counted to create a Top ? list. But that would give us a problem how many titles everyone's list should include since some of us have watched a ton of anime and others only a show or two.

The idea I'm thinking of right now would be a slight variation on this: how about each of us can assign a fixed amount of points to the entries as we please. So basically you can use all points for one entry or divide the points to even 10 different entries. Or do you have a better idea?

4. How would you like to vote?
Via PMs to me or in public by posting your votes in this topic?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 am

I think that we should just have a Top 5 for shows(including OVAs like Gundam Unicorn or Katanagatari), a Top 10 for characters, a Top 3 for Voice Actors and should vote like this:

Shows of 2010:
1.(insert show)
5.(...)

Characters All-Time:
1.(insert character)
10.(...)

Voice Actors All-Time:
1.(Name of the VA, not the character)
3.(...)

We should make them in an ineditable public thread though because I don´t think that privacy would be that of a big problem here.

toe mash
Lilin
Lilin

Re: EvaGeeks' Favorite Anime in 2010

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 am

That sounds like a pretty cool idea.

View Original PostOz wrote:I think it would be reasonable to start voting once the current anime season ends.

Yeah, Definitely. Also there are 1 or 2 shows that I haven't watched yet from this year that sounds very promising :)

Obviously we will have "Best Show of the Year". What about characters and seiyuus? The latter provides us with a problem: should we vote on a single performance or all 2010 performances by the same seiyuu - or both separately? And should we give films and OVAs their own categories? Do you have any other categories in mind?

I don't really care about character either way, but I think seiyuu would definitely be a good idea. I'd say voting based on one single (especially outstanding) performance would be the best, rather than just picking a seiyuu that happened to voice loads of characters this year Ayana Taketsu.

And I definitely think OVAS/movies/series should be in same category, rather than each one have its own.

imo

I bet most of us agree that it would be unreasonable to vote for only one entry in each category since there were so many great shows this year. At first I thought it would be neat if everyone created a Top 5/10 list with certain position giving certain number of points that would then be counted to create a Top ? list. But that would give us a problem how many titles everyone's list should include since some of us have watched a ton of anime and others only a show or two.

The idea I'm thinking of right now would be a slight variation on this: how about each of us can assign a fixed amount of points to the entries as we please. So basically you can use all points for one entry or divide the points to even 10 different entries. Or do you have a better idea?

So basically we each get a set amount of points and its up to the user to distribute them amongst the shows they've seen this year, if I got it right?

That actually sounds interesting. That might make up for it if only very few members watched some real gem that would get tossed aside otherwise. It could work, but might wanna check if it doesn't have some major disadvantage that wont come apparent until later.

4. How would you like to vote?
Via PMs to me or in public by posting your votes in this topic?

Uh.. Probably in the thread is fine, unless it might influence people's choices or something.

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:25 am

I was going to make this thread anyway :lol:

Guhh, starts to get pretty damn pedantric.

Best performance = seyuu question resolved lolz

OVA/OAD category doesn't make much sense because that is borderline dead medium in today's Japan. Only non-continuations-to-series (for example Railgun OVA this fall) OVAs that I can quickly remember are Gundam Unicorn, Black Rock Shooter, Hen Zemi and Koe no Oshigoto.

Techinically speaking we shouldn't have seen ANY 2010 anime film so film category would be similarly ridiculous (japs in general take at least a year from premiere to DVD/BD release). And everyone knows Disappearance would rule the category with iron fist anyway.

My perfect selection for categories:

- Best Anime (Overall, includes films, OADs, series etc.)
- Best TV Series
- Best Characters
- Best performance
- lolsorandum categories

OP/ED category would be fine too

c) shows that began in 2010, whether they end in 2010 or not is irrelevant. Series that ended last winter (Kimi ni Todoke) are 2009 series. Similarly Star Driver and Index S2 are 2010 series, not 2011

Top 5 or Top 10. But why so serious? I'm going to push for my favourites anyway, it's not like other opinions matter or anything b-baka.
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:43 am

And I will push for my favorite, which should be obvious by now. Not even gonna count Unicorn Gundam.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:09 am

IO, the categories for characters and seiyuus are also only for 2010 shows - not all time.

I think it's clear by now that the best idea is to take the best performance category instead of the best seiyuu. And I agree with toe_mash that OVAs/movies/series should be in the same category - since the first two are quite few in the first place. But following Xard's suggestion I guess it would be reasonable to have a separate category for the best TV series. Just in case. It will be interesting to see how those lists will differ from each other. I hadn't even though of OP & ED categories and we should certainly add them.

As for the question number 2, I prefer Xard's opinion on the matter. Although I hardly think the shows that are still going on will get enough many votes as they are still only halfway done.

"But why so serious?", asks Xard. I've been doing these sort of votes for years on other forums and I can tell by heart that they can easily be screwed up. The problem with using strict Top lists is that it lacks flexibility and we might get more voters if all of them don't have to make full lists. Incomplete lists make the voting process rather unbalanced in the end. And with the point system they don't have to use all the points they can.

By the way, we could use the time before the end of the season to "push" for our own favorites - just like they do those "For Your Consideration" ads for Oscars. :lol: But there's a chance that will go out of control so try to be reasonable with it.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 am

SUPER ROBOT WARS ORIGINAL GENERATION: THE INSPECTOR FOR EVAGEEKS ANIME 2010! Why? It's awesome, that's why. Image It is the perfect combination of action, pacing, art style, production quality, and overall entertainment as it takes all of the elements from the real robot, hybrid robot, and super robot subgenres and mixes them perfectly together for one wild ride. The music is a mix of orchestral battle music and a hot blooded opening theme by the awesomeness that is JAM Project. This series also includes a variety of mecha anime designers including:

Kazutaka Miyatake; mech designs include Aquarion, the original Dunbine series, Eureka Seven (both TV series and movie), Gunbuster, the entire Macross franchise except for 2, Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny plus the SEED compilation trilogy, and RahXephon.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=264

Hajime Katoki; mech designs include After War Gundam X, G Gundam, Gundam Evolve, the MS IGLOO trilogy, Gundam 0083, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Wing (series and Endless Waltz), 08th MS Team, and Victory Gundam.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=124

Mika Akitaka; mech designs include several of the Gundam series above with Double Zeta Gundam and Martian Successor Nadesico.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=6998

Masahiro Yamane; mech designs include Big O, GaoGaiGar FINAL Grand Glorious Gathering, Gun X Sword, Code Geass, and Steel God Jeeg.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7726

Tsukasa Kotobuki; mech designs from Godannar.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=3021

And the leader of all of them? Masami Obrai, famous for the likes of Gravion, Dancouga Nova, Fight! Iczer 1, and Detonator Orgun among some other series.

With six all-star mech genre veterans at the helm, you know it's gonna be good.Image
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:50 am

View Original PostOz wrote:IO, the categories for characters and seiyuus are also only for 2010 shows - not all time.

Ah, okay.

The OP&ED section sounds nice.

But how many EGF users that regularily watch the newest anime exist anyway?
Ever considered that?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: EvaGeeks' Favorite Anime in 2010

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:23 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:2. Which shows should we include?
Option a would exclude The Book of Bantorra, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector and both seasons of Letter Bee -- i.e. a good chunk of the series I've watched this year -- as well as any other 2 cour series on the Fall 2010 line-up or Fall 2009 that I'm not bothered about.

That latter would include Kimi ni Todoke and Railgun, which I would have thought there'd be takers for.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:56 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:But how many EGF users that regularily watch the newest anime exist anyway?
Ever considered that?

Oh yes, I was thinking about that before starting the thread. I'm pretty sure we have enough many members who have watched at least one show each season. Just read "What anime you are watching right now?" and count how many times the series of the current anime season pop up. Furthermore, right now we have a ton of people watching PSG.

LeoXiao
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:48 pm

I don't think I watched any anime that acme out in 2010, with the exception of the Black Lagoon OVA.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 am

YOSUGA NO SORA
YOSUGA NO SORA
YOSUGA NO SORA
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:46 am

Ran, how predictable. 5/10

Anyway, I'll be posting more here once the end of the season comes closer. If anyone has something to say, please post it.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:50 am

>Oz mad because he thinks I'm trolling his thread
>my face when I'm completely serious

[URL=http://img130.imageshack.us/i/soradx.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:59 am

Yare yare. Someone clearly isn't watching Panty & Stocking or Kuragehime. Or then this is some multi-layered trolling that is too DEEP for me to handle?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 am

Nope. Yosuga No Sora is the only series this year not to suffer from horrible pacing issues.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 am

So yeah I vote PSG and Katanagatari as the best series of the year or at least the best series that I have seen of this years anime.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 pm

On the "what titles to include" I think it's more reasonable to include ones that have completed/will complete this year, so can be finally judged, than ones that may finish next year.

My ordered list of possibly valid titles (most of which will get 1 vote only), from the top, based on what I've seen so far:

Giant Killing
Sora no Woto
Letter Bee (4 cours, overlapping 09-10 and 10-11 and hoping that the conclusion next year won't be a horrible let down)
Otome Youkai Zakuro
The Book of Bantorra (continued)
Super Robot Wars OG : The Inspector (continuing)
Strike Witches 2
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm

*reads posts*

Remember when everybody here went apeshit over Ika Musume when it first aired?

Poor Ika-chan.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:20 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:*reads posts*

Remember when everybody here went apeshit over Ika Musume when it first aired?

Poor Ika-chan.

Everybody = the 2 or 3 people who treat the "What anime are you watching" as their personal anime blog which makes it seem like "everybody" on the forums?

Return to “Anime and Manga”