GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

utero2001
Embryo

GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:48 am

This anime is old but it blew me away. The links and the feelings behind that of EVA are emerging in this masterpiece

I really think that you should all get out there and take a good look

don't think the DVDs out in the US yet though :wink:

and as the sequel is coming out this september, I think its time to judge GAINAX on whether they can still make damn good anime titles, cus recently they've been a little poor (cough flcl cough :P)

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:42 pm

that is one open girl ^_~
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:27 pm

Gunbuster's a great show, at its short length it doesn't get into any long ruts, and keeps things at a pretty high quality for all 6 episodes. Obviously fans of Eva should love it as many traits and such from Eva are noticable here first. Old school fans like myself will like it a lot (although it isn't really old enough to be old school, certainly play out like one) and it has a great ending.

Unfortunately, with Manga having the Region 1 license, who knows when we'll get the DVDs. They'll botch it somehow, just like they botched End of Eva.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:27 am

I have always wanted to see Gunbusters and have heard nothing but good things about it. Hopefully, it will get licenced someday.
Done. Guarding.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:06 am

Isn't the Gunbuster the biggest mecha of all time or somthing? I know the thing's huge.......... GAINAX does seem to make good anime in the past but a lot of thier new stuff seems.... well just not the same! FLCL was just weird as was MSAA (But I liked them). I dunno... anyone around here seen His and Her Circumstances?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

utero2001
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:08 am

have always wanted to see Gunbusters and have heard nothing but good things about it. Hopefully, it will get licenced someday

look online. Get your DVD player to play region 2 and you'll be sorted.

I got my official gunbuster DVD for £4, which is about $8-9

[url]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=gunbuster&page=search[/url]
dunno if that'll help

Unfortunately, with Manga having the Region 1 license, who knows when we'll get the DVDs

MANGA are the worst for that, everything they bring out has some sort of problem with it

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:09 am

can't be worse than tokyopop's manga translations though....
Last edited by EVA-01X on Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:32 pm

EVA-01X wrote:FLCL was just weird

Now, this may come as a shock to some of you, but FLCL not only does have a plot, but the plot is really not that hard to grasp at all if you pay attention. The whole story of FLCL is a bit too long for me to go into detail, but I recommend you rewatch the series, and this time pay attention.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:39 pm

I'm aware that it has a plot but it still dosn't change the fact that it is one of the wierdest shows of all time. But I like it because of that. Now back to gunbuster before EM throws a fit about us being off topic...
I just wanted to say that the Gunbuster has appered in various SRW games and was one of my favorite units to command in the game because of its power. That and the thing just looks so cool!
^Clicky for Evamade!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:49 pm

Eva01X wrote:I'm aware that it has a plot but it still doesn't change the fact that it is one of the wierdest shows of all time.

Yeah, sorry I was thinking about this:
utero2001 wrote:I think its time to judge GAINAX on whether they can still make damn good anime titles, cus recently they've been a little poor (cough flcl cough :P)

post.
Most of the arguements against FLCL are that it has no plot, and no reason to exist.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

utero2001
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:02 pm

Most of the arguements against FLCL are that it has no plot, and no reason to exist.

Its loved by some people, but for me its basically been rammed down my throat by my housemate that loves it. He even loves the music (by the pillows) and owns all the CDs and DVDs. FLCL just gets on my nerves cus every time I take the effort to watch it, it does'nt make sense and is just mental.

utero2001
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:23 am

Back to Gunbuster again. The sequels coming out in september. Its a six parter and is gonna have the budget of the aforementioned FLCL.

[url]http://www.top2.jp/[/url]

the thing I'm worried about is that Anno has'nt got anything to do with it, it looks too cute, and too FLCL like to impress me. I hope I'm wrong but early reviews are saying it will lack quality as Anno is'nt on board.

The earlier Gunbuster series (by todays standards) looks poor, and a little cheap, but what made it good was the characters and the deep emotional plot. The last episode made me sit back and think I've really watched something thats damn awesome

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:56 pm

An extremely passionate work, brimming with clever design ideas and bouncing characters--all Gainax trademarks. Also a very sincere and largely successful attempt to convey the drama of titanic space opera on a typically lousy anime budget.

Although at the time it seemed a sharp turnabout in style from their premiere work ROYAL SPACE FORCE, GUNBUSTER proved very successful as an OAV and made the top ten of Bandai Visual's all-time-favorites poll a decade later.

This is my favorite period (GUNBUSTER and GUNDAM 0080: WAR IN THE POCKET--written by Gainax's Hiroyuki Yamaga) for character designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto. Like Kenichi Sonoda, Mikimoto was once known as an iconic anime artist, but both have concentrated on manga in recent years.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:52 am

I want to know if anyone is going to put out a decent region 1 DVD of this. I know it got put out a while ago, but its virtually out of print, and the quality was really bad, and was hard subbed.

Manga Entertainment was supposed to bring it out a couple years ago. Its possible the license has expired by this time. If we're lucky a reliable company will pick it up and actually put it out..

rurimoon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rurimoon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:36 pm

Ok, since no one seems to talk about it, I just want to remind everyone that Gunbuster is going to be out February next month.

Everyone who like Eva should get this !!! There is no way you should miss this show! Although only 6 eps long, the show doesn't seems rush at all.

Please note that this show is almost 20 years old, only few years younger than Gundam and Macross. So keep this in mind that you are watching a classic, some of the theories in the show may have already outdated.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm guessing nobody here reads Newtype because they've mentioned the past several issues in a row that Gunbuster's being released as a new DVD Set, sub-only and remastered with all sorts of extras like a booklet, out this Feburary. I think it'll be released by Bandai Visual or some such company.

But anyway, I've only seen 1 and a half episodes of it but I like it already. ^_^ I'm certinally going to buy it. ^_^ (Asuka's prototype--Jung Freud--is, um, interesting.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm guessing nobody here reads Newtype because...

For good god damned reason. NewType is like the internet, only more expensive, and when you get it, you've already heard it all already.

Diebuster renewed my interest in Gunbuster, so I'm definitely going to pick this set up at some point, but until I come into the possession of some money, I'm going to stick with my old rips.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:48 pm

I have read it was coming out but I am waiting to see the price on it before buying it. It may be a classic but I am not going to shell out a fortune on only 6 eps.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:17 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:For good god damned reason. NewType is like the internet, only more expensive, and when you get it, you've already heard it all already.

I get it for free, which works for me because I wouldn't want to shell out $12/month for a magizine which only has a few articles I'm interested in, anyway. (Animerica was better, IMHO.)

Hunter21 wrote:I have read it was coming out but I am waiting to see the price on it before buying it. It may be a classic but I am not going to shell out a fortune on only 6 eps.

Confirmed with Rightstuf: Retail Price: $65 Rightstuf Price: $49

Truthfully, cost-wise, that doesn't sound too bad to me. I've seen a lot worse, such as series' costing $100+ :roll: (Hence why I'm only into select anime to begin with. I don't have that kind of money to shell out $100/boxset or season of a show.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm guessing nobody here reads Newtype because they've mentioned the past several issues in a row that Gunbuster's being released as a new DVD Set, sub-only and remastered with all sorts of extras like a booklet, out this Feburary. I think it'll be released by Bandai Visual or some such company.

But anyway, I've only seen 1 and a half episodes of it but I like it already. ^_^ I'm certinally going to buy it. ^_^ (Asuka's prototype--Jung Freud--is, um, interesting.)

I don't know if I would call Jung-Freud a prototype for Asuka, but Gunbuster is certainly a classic and an essential old-school Gainax work.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”