GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Ok, here's something I'm wondering.
In Top o Nerae 2! (Gunbuster 2, Diebuster, what ever, the one with Nono and Lal'c) they refer to some of the topless as Candians. Yes, Candians, not Canadians. So, I'm wondering, is this a term Tsurumaki made up for the series? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Best plot twist...

You can't talk about good plot twists until you have experienced Ever17. The greatest plot twist. Ever. Holy christ.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Gunbuster Analysis

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:32 pm

I recently finished Gunbuster. I heard that many of Hideaki Anno's themes that he uses developed in this anime. Anyway, I just wanted to know what the deeper meaning in Gunbuster is.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gunbuster Analysis

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:the deeper meaning in Gunbuster
Tits sell more videos.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:39 pm

What about the isolation and time difference stuff?
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:42 pm

No, just tits.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Again, please look through the thread list before you make new topics.

Also, tits.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Rabid-Sachiel wrote:the deeper meaning in Gunbuster
Tits sell more videos.

HARD WORK AND GUTS.

ALSO:

Yelling real loud makes your robot kick more ass.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:12 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Yelling real loud makes your robot kick more ass.

A great trend that realized its full potential in Gurren Lagann.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Then how could Anno's greatest work before Eva be a pile of perverted super robot mayhem? There HAS to be a deeper message besides tehe BOOBIES.
MAL

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 am

It doesn't need to have a deeper meaning. It's just a really well told story over the course of three hours. That's about it.

Jaws is just the story of some killer shark. No real deeper meaning to that film. Doesn't make it any less of a classic.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:Then how could Anno's greatest work before Eva be a pile of perverted super robot mayhem? There HAS to be a deeper message besides tehe BOOBIES.

Blah Blah Blah....

Looks like someone over analyzed this stuff. Does everything churned out by Anno have to have some underlying meaning? I mean come on.....

I suppose some have said in the past that Gunbuster had some parallels that could be drawn to WWII and how the Japanese were faced an almost hopeless situation against a uber superior enemy. Perhaps. But again most of this speculation was the product of critic conjecture over the course of the last few years. its really debatable.

I dont believe Anno ever admitted to deliberately hiding parallel metaphors and messages that express his feelings about the outcome of WWII no?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I need to watch gunbuster. But I have seen pics in Danbooru with what looks like Jung and Noriko flirting with Shinji. :lol: I was wondering what anyone else thinks about that? Actually I like the thought of Noriko/Shinji shipping, for some reason. ^_^

EDIT: I've also read in Newtype and other stuff that Jung might be Asuka's "prototype?" (im not sure if thats the right word). Also I believe Juing would really give Asuka a run for her money in pilioting AND for getting the baka's affections! :tongue:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:13 am

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:Then how could Anno's greatest work before Eva be a pile of perverted super robot mayhem? There HAS to be a deeper message besides tehe BOOBIES.

what do you mean with "deeper meaning"?

In certain ways Gunbuster has kind of surprising depth: not in terms of philosophical ruminations but as a manifesto. Early GAINAX was anime's new wave with entirely new philosophy at making anime. Gunbuster is full realization of this philosophy. And then of course there's that experimental edge to their works since the very beginning with Honneamise: making Gunbuster's last ep b&w was very ballsy move for example, made partly sheerly because it was something no one had ever done something like that before. Gunbuster's "depth" comes from formal aspects of art, not from the content per se.

If you search for depth in Gunbuster you find it it from its form: how even this early on Anno was bringing stuff and methods into anime form and directing that does not exactly scream "anime" as it was back then. Anime directing had since early 80s been shaped by so-called Oshii method: Anno was pretty much only one going against this method back then.

Then there's the whole ideology & anime "theory" thing going on in Gunbuster. You really can see how dearly GAINAX loved what they were doing. Gunbuster is their tribute to anime, science fiction etc. Despite its "commeciality" it was very pure and honest expression and worthy of title of "pop art" which I rank above "mere" entertainment. Right after NGE Anno said once that GAINAX only animated things that had personal meaning and relevance to them, that they were extremely selfish and arrogant in that respect... They didn't make products, they did what they loved. (Irony of this statement in light of this decade's GAINAX is hard to miss.) This certain artistic purity permeates Gunbuster what in other hands would've just been another product...

Of course GAINAX purposefully made Gunbuster very commercial: Wings of Honneamise had been financial disaster and they really needed some money to keep things floating. When GAINAX began they wanted to aim at ultrasrs "art" anime like what was made by Isao Takahata etc.

Here's what Hiroki Azumi said:
Talking about his previous works... In the 80's, when Anno was 25, 26 he and his friends made Honneamise, Gainax's [Anno's production team] first animation film, which was not directed by Anno. Anime fans were very disappointed about that because they couldn't find any beautiful girl. Gainax's second work, the first animation film directed by Anno, was a typical Anime video called >>Top o nerae<<. It was made for Otaku : filled with stereotypical features appreciated by Otaku. To Anno the making of this anime was very ironical... so he uses the word irony.

What to do when your ultra artsyfartsy project fails? You give market wha they want and while you love and hold dear what you do you can't escape the irony of the situation.

Gunbuster is at the same time commercial, pure and ironic. Is it "deep"? Depends on which aspect you concentrate.

In any case it is one of greatest animes in existence

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:03 am

Hiroki Azumi wrote:filled with stereotypical features appreciated by Otaku.
That's a round-the-houses way of making much the point I was making. :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
Hiroki Azumi wrote:filled with stereotypical features appreciated by Otaku.
That's a round-the-houses way of making much the point I was making. :D

Of course, but it wasn't just about milking (hurhur) otaku off their moneyz

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:01 pm

I just watched Gunbuster (renewed DVD fansub along with the Science Lesson specials, very funny), and I gotta say this series is absolutely amazing. 10/10 imo. (Yes, I'll discuss Diebuster in the other thread.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:25 am

Electric Sachiel wrote:
I dont believe Anno ever admitted to deliberately hiding parallel metaphors and messages that express his feelings about the outcome of WWII no?

Right...

deliberately hidden parallel  SPOILER: Show
On Gunbuster's alternate future -- is it dominated by Russia?

ANNO: "There's a Japanese Empire. In the year 2000, the U.S. and Japan had a war, and Japan occupied Hawaii. Sorry. "

Nope, nothing here. :smokin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:56 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I just watched Gunbuster (renewed DVD fansub along with the Science Lesson specials, very funny), and I gotta say this series is absolutely amazing. 10/10 imo. (Yes, I'll discuss Diebuster in the other thread.)

was it first time you saw it?

Gunbuster is brilliant show, the last 4 ovas are perfect

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:13 pm

I watched episode 1 and 2 a few years back but never got a chance to finish the series as a whole, so yeah, I watched episodes 1 through 6, then Diebuster.

It's an amazing show, and now I'm trying to recommend it to other people. ^_^ My only compliant which was minor is I felt Noriko's love interest was rushed/mostly a plot device (I didn't feel emotionally invested in that aspect), but otherwise I have no criticisms of the show.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”