:rei_blush:

New Thread~
Ayanami~~~~ :D

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Re: Hello all

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:47 am

Welcome, all you bright and fresh faces.

View Original PostMystere9 wrote:I was doomed from the start.

Aren't we all, friend...aren't we all.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

sulla
Adam

Postby sulla » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:12 pm

hello world! :shinji_boohoo: :shinji_eyebrow:
desu

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:46 pm

View Original Postsulla wrote:hello world! :shinji_boohoo: :shinji_eyebrow:

Stop that cryin', if you came here by your own choice, you know that it's time to step up and BE A MAN! Somewhere else...

Welcome, by the way. B)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Alaska Slim is right, start being a man or I'm sending Doublas M2 to your house, haunting you with his creepy double grin.

But in all seriousness, welcome to Evageeks, aluex and sulla.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Hatter106
Embryo

Postby Hatter106 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:08 am

Howdy all. Here's a post I just wrote for another forum... guess it'll work as an intro...

Welp. Just finished 2.22 and... I'm awestruck. More on that in a minute.

I decided to re-watch the entire Eva series this month. Hadn't watched it in nearly a decade. I loved the series, don't get me wrong, but after EoE I was pretty satisfied. Plus I felt that if I re-watched it, it might not live up to my recollections. Eva is best when you're an angsty teenager.

Well while it didn't quite hit me with the same emotional ferocity (EoE got a few tears outta me though), I still found it to be an amazing series, especially taking into account how groundbreaking it was. Some of the animation (mostly Tsurumaki's episodes) is still staggering. The rest... eh, I'll give it a pass. I found the pacing to be a lot more satisfying this time around, knowing what happens. I then spent some time on the Eva Geeks Wiki, and found EoE to be much more satisfying. The Instrumentality sequence still hits me like a ton of bricks.

I was pretty satisfied at this point, but knew, for completion's sake, I had to watch the remake movies. I was not looking forward to this. I felt that by removing Evangelion from its historical context, you were eliminating so much of what made it great - the raw emotion Gainax put on screen. I had watched the first twenty minutes of 1.11 a year or so back and turned it off in disgust when I saw it was an exact, frame-for-frame remake. Now, sitting through the whole thing, it wasn't that bad. Most of the additions seemed superflous, but there was some cool stuff (Ramiel's makeover impressed me). But as a whole it just felt like a perfunctory remake, without any spirit behind it. After reading this thread, I was a bit more excited for 2.22... and what can I say, I was blown away. Honestly, it made me retroactively hate 1.11 even more, for not having the balls this film had. I thought Anno and Tsurumaki had given up, and this was just a cash-generating franchise... but 2.22 showed me that they can still blow your mind when they want to. The berserk Unit-02 fight - wow. And while I feel it kinda betrays the themes of the series, the Gurren Lagann-inspired finale had me literally on the edge of my seat. I have absolutely no idea where it's going from here, and I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. It may not be the real "Eva" but it's damn fun TV.

(the only thing about 2.22 that had me scratching my head was that at least half the soundtrack was blatantly cribbed from Kare Kano :psyduck: I know it was a Gainax show and everything, but still... )

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:34 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Welcome Jarmel and Akio.

Omigod did you spell my name wrong?

That is punishable by me eating your soulz!
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Omigod did you spell my name wrong?

That is punishable by me eating your soulz!

I was probably thinking about Akio Ohtori, so effectively I've changed your sex as well...
Anyway welcome to all the newest members.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Welcome aboard Mr. Hatter.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:10 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I was probably thinking about Akio Ohtori, so effectively I've changed your sex as well...
Anyway welcome to all the newest members.

I'm still eating your soul.

SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURP
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Valyou
Embryo

Postby Valyou » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Hallo, I'm Valyou, a Eva geek [s:1ehvs9za]dragged in[/s:1ehvs9za] told about this anime and lent DVDs by another Eva geek (if you knew him... You'd be scared)
I pretty much like games like Quake, DOOM, Street Fighter, and all kinds of indie games, and anime. Not much other things to say.
"What if I said I was a little man who worked inside the sun and was the one that turned it off when nighttime was supposed to come?" - Me, or something like that.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm

welcome

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Welcome.

insan3soldiern
Embryo

Yo, yet another new guy.

Postby insan3soldiern » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 pm

It goes without saying I'm a fan of Evangelion. I figure I may as well go through my Evangelion story as to how I got into the show.

It wasn't easy, I actually tried to watch the series around 2008 or early 2009 and, frankly, I was expecting an action show first and foremost. I'd seen a few clips of Asuka's battle against the mass produced Eva's (of course, at the time she was just some red headed chick to me.) from EoE and thought the series might have some interesting action scenes.

So, I eventually picked it up when I started to get back into anime and was surprised to find out that there wasn't, well, a whole lot of shit blowing up. The series seemingly focused on other elements, most notably Shinji inability to do anything because HE wanted to. But, for the life of me, the characters REALLY didn't do it for me.

I found Rei lifeless, Asuka bitchy, Shinji to be a whiner. ALL of the complaints you typically hear about the characters are EXACTLY what I felt. So, I dropped the show and though "This isn't for me" and I even called it "pretentious" at one point.

So...why is this guy on a forum dedicated to a series he seemingly hated? It's simple, I'd started to slowly drift away from action fair because of stuff like Clannad, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Honey and Clover, etc. and I happened to read a post on MAL by a guy name Cihan (now going by Beatnik) and he said something along the lines of "the characters are SUPPOSED to be unlikable" and I thought, "hey, that sounds kind of interesting. I never considered that."

So, I gave the show another shot. I didn't watch it for "fun" or "action", I watched it much in the way I watch something like Ghost in the Shell for the "substance". Basically, I watched to "get something" much more than entertainment. To say the least, I was impressed.

Hell, I found a lot of substance in the very first few episodes. Shinji himself is much more than a whiner, he's a kid thrown into an absolutely shitty situation and he just rolls with the punches because he desperately wants to fit in some way, any way. I found the fourth episode in particular to be interesting, as he runs away and does some soul searching. I also found it interesting that he KNOWS he's a coward (I find the scene where he says a much to Touji to be very well done and emotionally powerful) but, as we know, it isn't all that easy to change yourself.

I don't want to get to deeply into this. In retrospect this should have been a short and concise introduction. I'd like to get into the other characters, particularly Asuka (who is now my favorite anime character period...despite the fact that I wrote her off as a "bitch" at one point) and interesting plot points but for now I'll just say "hi".
My name is Commander Shepard and Evangelion is my favorite anime on the Citadel.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 pm

welcome person

ADiesel
Embryo

Postby ADiesel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:49 am

SUP guys, girls and other related entities!
After watching this seriously messed up show and thinking, wow, i can relate to that at 14, then re watching at 16 and thinking, wow i can still relate to that! I have decided to join this lovely place in search of knowledge about some of the crazier things about the show. So Ciao a tutti everyone
I wouldnt want to take a nuke to the face

PastorNRJ
Embryo

Postby PastorNRJ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:02 am

Ho, the New Thread camp!

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 am

(just found this thread today I really should of posted here a week ago but oh well)

Hello everyone I just got into Evangelion back in April. I got in this show through an impulse buy of 2.22 and that was one of my best impulse buys ever. Now I’m addicted to this series and it has really been hurting my wallet but oh well. Any how the main reason I joined this site is so I can discuss the show with other people who love it as well (and maybe make some friends too). I only have about five friends who really like anime and when I introduced them to Evangelion they liked it but they did not like it that much all they really ever want to talk about is gundam, full metal alchemist and death note. So when I found this web site it was like the Hallelujah song just started playing in my head (and no I did not get Arael mind raped). So I look forward to discussing Evangelion with you all in the future.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 am

Welcome new comers to [s:3jzrz0u9]the second circle of hell[/s:3jzrz0u9] Evageeks!
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

ADiesel
Embryo

Postby ADiesel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Second circle eh?
FAPFAPFAP
I wouldnt want to take a nuke to the face

Return to “Old Stickies”