Rei's message to Asuka in 2.22

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FES
Embryo

Rei's message to Asuka in 2.22

•      
  •      

Postby FES » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Before I begin, I would like to apologize in advance if this has been discussed already. I would also like to apologize in case this was "obvious," or, "already known omg noob."

There has been something bothering me about the scene where Rei gives a message to Asuka when she's driving over to Unit 03. I am speaking of the long period of silence between the beginning of the message and the end where Rei says thank you.

After rewatching the scene a few times and studying the dialogue I believe that Rei said more to Asuka than what was revealed to the audience, something that will be revealed in a later movie, something that was left audibly unheard on purpose.

So in order to try and reason that this is, in fact, true, let us look at the dialogue.

Rei: "There is something I want to tell the second girl."

*Asuka checks message. Message begins, followed by a few seconds of silence.*

Rei: "Thank you."

Asuka: "Isn't she stupid! I just want to pilot Eva."

I find it odd that Rei would just call Asuka out of nowhere to tell her thank you. I also noted that the only audio heard from the phone is when Asuka brings the phone away from herself towards the viewer.

I believe Rei did say something more, and I think it has something to do with Shinji, seeing as how last they saw each other was at the elevator.

Thoughts?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:18 pm

I found the long pause strange, but I don't think it's another case of withheld lines, like in The End of Evangelion.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm guessing Rei was trying to make up her mind, picking the right words to tell Asuka, for I believe that Rei doesn't have much in the way of social skills.

That's what I thought of, because Rei is normally not talkative.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FES
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FES » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:04 am

I disagree, Rei's line clearly shows she wants to tell Asuka something, her face made it seem like she had been thinking about it for a while. But assuming "Thank you," really is all she said, why would that make Asuka say something so out of the ordinary?

"Thank you."

"All I want to do is pilot Eva!"

Thank you? What for? Asuka's response would be so out of the blue if Rei did indeed only say thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 am

"Thank you for piloting instead of me so I can hold the dinner party for Ikari-kun and Commander Ikari."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:46 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I'm guessing Rei was trying to make up her mind, picking the right words to tell Asuka, for I believe that Rei doesn't have much in the way of social skills.

This explains the pause. That's what I assumed as well. Rei is not a woman of many words.

View Original PostFES wrote:Thank you? What for?
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:"Thank you for piloting instead of me so I can hold the dinner party for Ikari-kun and Commander Ikari."

I believe Rei means it the way SSD-chan describes it. But I have a feeling Asuka thinks Rei is thanking her for retreating from the love triangle. "Thank you for handing Shinji over to me." Then Asuka acts like she doesn't care about kissing Shinji on the mouth and just wants to punch space monsters. Being tsundere, Asuka obviously wants to kiss Shinji on the mouth. Which will totally get you pregnant in Japan.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 am

The most obvious evidence that points to Rei saying nothing but "Thank you." is the way Asuka acts before Rei says it. She's visibly frustrated at Rei's hesitation, waiting for her to "spit it out", so to speak.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 am

I always just considered it as Rei pausing because it was so awkward for her to say "thank you". She was reflecting before how she had never used those words before until Shinji did something worth her gratitude. I believe it was along those lines. Rei isn't exactly someone who knows how to react normally to a situation but by the same token, she realised that Asuka had also done something worth her gratitude, which she can now recognise as a situation to say thank you. So I believe the pause was nothing more than a sign of Rei trying to overcome her feelings of awkwardness with the phrase.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Remember how Rei thought of the words "thank you" in Episode 17:

Rei: "Thank you," the words for gratitude. Those words for the first time. I've never even said them to that person.

Here in this case, it's also her first time saying it to both Shinji and Asuka at separate times. She ponders how much those words made an effect upon Shinji, and I think she wanted to hear how Asuka would react.

At any rate, perhaps out of the need for further cooperation as a team, it's one of Rei's attempts at interaction with her fellow pilots as she tries to "defrost" herself.

FES
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FES » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Haven't had time for this lately..

Sounds interesting, all of it, but I am still not convinced.

I still believe something was said during that message, not just thank you. This series was all about looking past what was said by someone, and to pay attention to what a particular character felt or was thinking at that point.

Replaying that scene one more time, I see Rei's face and she looks determined... she needed to tell her something. Rei rarely speaks unless spoken to, and even then there is no guarantee she will respond. When she does initiate a conversation, there is meaning to it, such as "You don't need EVA to make you happy."

With that being said, I realize earlier in the movie that she did start to 'defrost', saying good morning to her classmates. Though that does not take away the rather interesting timing of the message, after the elevator scene. They had both just argued, actually just Asuka... Rei had probably thought about it for a while and had something to say.

Even if Rei only said, "Thank you." I would see Asuka's response very bizarre, how about this for a conversation.

"Thank you Asuka."

"Isn't she stupid, all I want to do is pilot EVA!"

Seems odd to me.

I think Rei simply said something Asuka quite obviously disagreed with, leading to her becoming flustered, as you see in the scene. I also believe that it is quite important in regard to the relationship between the three pilots. If something was indeed said, then it is probably being saved to be shown in one of the next movies, a likely outcome.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 am

View Original PostFES wrote:Even if Rei only said, "Thank you." I would see Asuka's response very bizarre, how about this for a conversation.

"Thank you Asuka."

"Isn't she stupid, all I want to do is pilot EVA!"

Rei is thanking Asuka for her kindness in allowing Rei to hold the party. Asuka is denying that was part of her motivation, and claiming she's only in 03 because she wanted to pilot it.

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 am

The timing just let's the audience witness the awkwardness of Rei trying to express something she isn't used to which makes her hesitate. Asuka's bizarre reaction is due to the fact that she isn't the most patient person in the series. Earlier in the movie when they're having lunch during the fieldtrip, she has the same angry reaction by Rei not saying anything. This would apply to her during Rei's silence.
The thing you think is being disagreed upon is already stated ^ that it's to do with Asuka trying to brush off the idea she is piloting Unit-03 for Rei's sake.

At this point in time, I really can't imagine Rei bothering to try and start a whole conversation with Asuka when she isn't with her in person. Can you imagine Rei calling Asuka to tell her what she said in the elevator? Rei may have a determined look but sometimes that's just how she looks like naturally. I could be wrong but that's how I took the whole scene.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”