EVA-05...mechanical or biomechanical??

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Assasinate
Lilith

EVA-05...mechanical or biomechanical??

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:00 am

when i watched 2.0... i noticed to this unit that it has so many TUBES in its cockpit area... and the pilot's gear is quite OLD SCHOOL (using helmet that what Shinji and others used to)

and if you look at it.... its much like its the 1st evangelion than the other....
( due to its mechanical attributes)

but much better than Jet -Alone unit
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: EVA-05...mechanical or biomechanical??

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:15 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:when i watched 2.0... i noticed to this unit that it has so many TUBES in its cockpit area... and the pilot's gear is quite OLD SCHOOL (using helmet that what Shinji and others used to)

and if you look at it.... its much like its the 1st evangelion than the other....
( due to its mechanical attributes)

Wait, what? This made absolutely no sense to me. The only time Shinji ever wears a helmet is during Operation Yashima, and the helmet was to only help with his aiming.

So, if you look at Unit-05 ... it's much like all the Evangelions, except completely not due to the mechanical lower half.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or clarify, but there's probably a thread about Unit-05 somewhere in here.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 am

It's just an evangelion with mechanical legs and arms.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:02 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Wait, what? This made absolutely no sense to me. The only time Shinji ever wears a helmet is during Operation Yashima, and the helmet was to only help with his aiming.

So, if you look at Unit-05 ... it's much like all the Evangelions, except completely not due to the mechanical lower half.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or clarify, but there's probably a thread about Unit-05 somewhere in here.

yeah i know that scene... but the point is.... this unit quite very different to others... from the way it moves and to fight...

unlike others that they can fight in any background...EVA-05 seems can only fight within underground tunnels, and it also has no AT-FIELD at all (there's a scene where the angel its engaged just passed thru by passing above it)
and what i mean the FIRST EVANGELION is I think it was the first to be IDEALIZED and BLUE PRINTED, but somehow... they discovered that CYBORGS is much effective than NERVES OF STEEL...so they created it late...or they created it imperfect and incomplete.. just like the incomplete positron beam cannon

by the way... im not protesting that they put that kind of unit in the movie...
due to the changes made to rebuild... i only need to clarify something so i can understand the movie clearly
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:14 am

It definitely does come off as being considerably more mechanical than the other Evas. But there also doesn't appear to be anything to explicitly say one way or another whether it is funny mechanical, however I would assume it is bio-mechanical as that's more or less a requisite for being an Evangelion.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:42 am

But aren´t Evas supposed to be of humanoid shape?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:But aren´t Evas supposed to be of humanoid shape?

It's still recognizably humanoid.

I'm going to start referring to Unit-05 as the "Armored Core" Evangelion.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:31 am

It's basically an Eva that's had all of it's limbs amputated and replaced with cyborg parts.

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:this unit quite
unlike others that they can fight in any background...EVA-05 seems can only fight within underground tunnels, and it also has no AT-FIELD at all (there's a scene where the angel its engaged just passed thru by passing above it)

well presumably it was constructed to protect the Acheron(?) base which is primarily tunnels which would be too small to fit the conventional EVA. I think its design was to correspond with its designated location. Also it was deemed a provisional type EVA so perhaps nerv or ipea decided to experiment with failed EVA which couldn't grow legs in its development stage. Thus it's kind of salvaging the top half and compromising with mechanical legs. This is all just a wild stab in the dark so take it with a grain of salt. Also I recall Mari shouting "deploying field" when approaching the angel so I believe EVA-5 did have an AT field albeit a weak one. Or perhaps Mari wasn't skilled enough to deploy a more resistant field since it was her first time as a pilot.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:55 am

Eva-05 is the MP-Eva that gets its legs chopped off... *stabbed, shot, and hung to rot where everyone can see*
"Marduk's Law": "As a Rebuild discussion grows longer, the probability of mentioning the Sequel Theory approaches 1."
Anno Peractio: Age of Conclusion

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:13 pm

It's biomechanical, else it wouldn't be an Evangelion.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:It's still recognizably humanoid.

I'm going to start referring to Unit-05 as the "Armored Core" Evangelion.

Dem quad-legs.

That reminds me of an Eva-05 AC design I built in For Answer. It looked pretty bad-ass, but its probably the most ineffective AC ever built.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:It's biomechanical, else it wouldn't be an Evangelion.

This. All the Evas are biomechanical to some extent. Who knows why they decided to take the limbs off Unit 05 - I have a sneaking suspicion that it was solely make a different-looking action figure, but it would pleasantly surprise me if Q decided to make that important in some way.

Also:

View Original PostMarduk wrote:Eva-05 is the MP-Eva that gets its legs chopped off...

As trollarious as that would be, no, that's Unit 12. Unit 05 is the one Asuka wall-slams and then punches through while screaming KORE DE LETZTER (which has to be one of my favorite mixed-language battle cries ever).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 pm

View Original Postjojojoker wrote:well presumably it was constructed to protect the Acheron(?) base which is primarily tunnels which would be too small to fit the conventional EVA. I think its design was to correspond with its designated location. Also it was deemed a provisional type EVA so perhaps nerv or ipea decided to experiment with failed EVA which couldn't grow legs in its development stage. Thus it's kind of salvaging the top half and compromising with mechanical legs. .

well apparently... all of their mechanical stuff are such a BIG FAILURE againts the angels...but i think thru the effort of this model by just doing an EMO stuff (suicide) well a little bit of success.. againts an nameless angel thats only barely in BONES...

also the positron gun is quite powerful despite that it has a very BIG FEEDBACK ( eating almost the whole nation's ELECTRICITY by using it...)

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:40 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:also the positron gun is quite powerful despite that it has a very BIG FEEDBACK ( eating almost the whole nation's ELECTRICITY by using it...)

Exactly what does a postitron gun have to do with Eva unit 05? 05 never used one.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:23 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:all of their mechanical stuff are such a BIG FAILURE againts the angels...but i think thru the effort of this model by just doing an EMO stuff (suicide) well a little bit of success.. againts an nameless angel thats only barely in BONES...

Eva-05 destroyed the angel by cracking the angel's core, not suicide, so it's mechanical parts were quite succesfull in this case.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 am

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Exactly what does a postitron gun have to do with Eva unit 05? 05 never used one.

apparently.. they look like the same age if you compare them mechanically... that's why i also put that cannon.. but dont worry its not belong in the discussion...

ow by the way... is this unit-05 only have one weapon??? i noticed that it's only weapon is its spear on the left arm??(despite that its just only have some mechanical arms unlike to other EVA's)

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:17 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:ow by the way... is this unit-05 only have one weapon??? i noticed that it's only weapon is its spear on the left arm??(despite that its just only have some mechanical arms unlike to other EVA's)

I'm guessing because it's a provisional type EVA and that it's in a secluded base, there weren't many weapons developed for it yet. Look at its arms and hands, it wouldn't even be able to hold a rifle unless it was customised for its 'claw' left arm. Also, I think the EVA self-destructed as a means to ensure that the Angel would definitely die in case the core didn't crack. Then again, we do hear Kaji and Mari talking about making the scene look like an "accident" so it may be a plot device.This is pretty much all we can get out of it so far until Q comes out.
Last edited by jojojoker on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:21 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I'm going to start referring to Unit-05 as the "Armored Core" Evangelion.

This thought crossed my mind too, strangely enough.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Dean Kamen FTW.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”