Astronomy

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Astronomy

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Just curious if any members here have a telescope and do stargazing, and if you do post what kind of telescope and maybe what kind of stuff you have observed.
I've got a Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ
seen: Saturn, Mars, the moon, and Jupiter
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm

That looks awesome. I've been wanting to get a telescope for a long time. I'm into UFO hunting as well as stargazing. I want to get a usb one where I can control the direction and everything right from the computer.. [s]haven't found one though[/s].. I lied, I have found one but the price isn't that nice..
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:That looks awesome. I've been wanting to get a telescope for a long time. I'm into UFO hunting as well as stargazing. I want to get a usb one where I can control the direction and everything right from the computer.. [s]haven't found one though[/s].. I lied, I have found one but the price isn't that nice..

Try checking the price come Christmas time odds are it will drop, if your lucky it may drop a couple hundred, that's how I got mine.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 pm

This isn't my exact model, but it's close enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-ETX-125AT-15-Maksutov-Cassegrain-Telescope/dp/B002LV6NOS/ref=sr_1_9?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1286677549&sr=1-9

It seems to have dropped quite a bit in price over the years too. When I first bought the thing back in 2004 (I think), it was something like $1200, but I suppose it's been rendered obsolete by bigger and better telescopes since then.

As for what I looked at; just the usual stuff I suppose. The Moon, Jupiter, Saturn - that sort of thing. Jupiter in particular looks really cool. You can damn near make out all of the swirling bands in it's atmosphere, and the four major moons. It's like it's own little Solar System in a lot of ways.

Never got into looking at actual Stars though. You know their something amazing far away, but at the end of the day, their really nothing much to look at from Earth. Especially where I live with a lot of light pollution and heavy atmosphere distorting the light waves from space, they just look 'meh'.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:49 am

I actually just got back from a night of stargazing. I just use a pair of 10x50 binoculars. There's plenty to see even my red light pollution zone. Aside from the big solar system objects I can make out Andromeda, the Orion Nebula (mind you they're just smudges of white dust in varying shapes), and lots and lots of star clusters. If I go out an hour or so to dark skies I can see even more things. For me the excitement comes in knowing just what it is I'm looking at even if I'm not looking at it in great detail. I'd like to buy a nice scope sometime for looking at DSOs but I don't have the cash to get a quality one right now.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:44 am

http://www.meade.com/product_pages/lx90_series/lx90_8sc/lx90_8sc.php

I've got one of these, although it's an older model from 2002 that I got secondhand in 2004 for about $500. The autofinder drive has sadly gone kaput in the last couple of years, probably due to a short somewhere, but it's still pretty fun to use just with a finderscope.

I actually used it last night. Looked at the double cluster in Perseus, the Andromeda galaxy and its two satellites, and Comet Hartley 2, which was about like almost every other comet I've seen, and just a fuzzy ball.

I also continued my experiments with trying to take photos of Jupiter by using a video mode on a compact camera as a webcam. I'm still tinkering with the process of actually getting the processing done correctly and efficiently, but here's what I ended up with with last night's try.

I believe the moon at upper left may be Io, but I'll have to consult a table to make sure.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:38 am

I'm very interested in astronomy, astrology, and ufology; but I haven't been able to do much due to the cost of a good telescope and all the damned light pollution.

By the way, anyone else think the three aforementioned studies should be considered the same?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:29 pm

When I was nine or so I got a telescope (as requested) for Christmas. Then I realized it didn't have a lock-on feature for celestial bodies. So I gave up.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”