Evangelion's Length

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Evangelion's Length

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:57 pm

Exactly how many days is it from the moment Shinji arrives in Tokyo-3 until Asuka's famous "How disgusting..." line? I would also like to find out specific dates if at all possible (of course, that is assuming that Anno even had dates worked out).
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:11 pm

i don't even think it mentions the dates in it anywhere.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Oh gawd...i could only guess. The most resonable one seems like it happened within half a year....even less.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:39 am

Yea I would guesstimate about 6 months or so.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:06 am

A few months ago, I tried to work out which month-range the episodes could have taken place during by looking at birthdays and all. I've figured it out.

Shinji is the latest person, on June 6th, born in a year with a confirmed birth year. That way, we know that the time-frame of Evangelion must be after June 6th, 2015.

Japanese school holidays happen on March 7th - April 1st, July 15th - September 1st and December 22nd - January 9th. We never see a school holiday during the episodes, and the time frame must be longer than a month (especially considering Shinji's time as LCL in Unit-01), so it couldn't be in the June 6th - July 15th period.

I deduct, then, that the episodes happened some time between September 1st to December 22 of 2015.

Please, dear God, let me be right.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:43 am

MAGI wrote:A few months ago, I tried to work out which month-range the episodes could have taken place during by looking at birthdays and all. I've figured it out.

Shinji is the latest person, on June 6th, born in a year with a confirmed birth year. That way, we know that the time-frame of Evangelion must be after June 6th, 2015.

Japanese school holidays happen on March 7th - April 1st, July 15th - September 1st and December 22nd - January 9th. We never see a school holiday during the episodes, and the time frame must be longer than a month (especially considering Shinji's time as LCL in Unit-01), so it couldn't be in the June 6th - July 15th period.

I deduct, then, that the episodes happened some time between September 1st to December 22 of 2015.

I though he was Lcl more than a month, look like I am going to have to watch the series again. I am starting to forget things , all my work is pushing my eva knowledge out
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:46 am

Shinji is summoned to Tokyo 3 sometime in the summer of 2015 and #26 says Third Impact has occured in 2016; so the story seems to take place over the last six months or so of 2015. As for when Shinji comes back to the real world, thats hard to say; because time has no meaning in Instrumentality, it could have taken 5 minutes or 500 years, for all we know, for Shinji to make his choice to reject Complementation and come back. Also, regardless of that, there are hints that Shinji was alone on that beach for some substantial, but indefinite, length of time before Asuka turns up, so it is impossible to nail down exactly when 'I need you' takes place, relative to the rest of the story.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:44 pm

well...i guess we can all agree that the episodes span approximately 6 months...

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:21 pm

i thought it was during a year, oh well, i sit corrected
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:37 pm

I tried to figure this out once while watching Eva, but only got a headache. I think the time line was kept vague on prupose, but from what I gathered, I thought somewhere between six and eight months.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:47 pm

Also, regardless of that, there are hints that Shinji was alone on that beach for some substantial, but indefinite, length of time before Asuka turns up, so it is impossible to nail down exactly when 'I need you' takes place, relative to the rest of the story.

Explain.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:10 pm

Misato's cross is nailed to a tree, so I guess Shinji was there for at least a little while...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:12 pm

I don't know about "hints" (plural), but one hint is that the cross has rust on it when we see it in "I Need You".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:21 pm

Though I don't know why it was cut, the original ending showed Shinji making graves for each of the characters, before finding Asuka lying on the beach, the shot of Misato's cross was one of them.

In yet another alternative ending, Shinji was meant to be shown holding a hand, lying on the beach. As the camera pans out, it would be discovered that the hand wasn't attached to anything, just a hand and an arm. Perhaps it was meant to show that Asuka had imagined her return, but rather than bandages, she was just an arm? :shock:
Thankfully, they didn't use that ending, would've scarred me for life.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:43 pm

There is more about the alternate endings here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:21 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:
Also, regardless of that, there are hints that Shinji was alone on that beach for some substantial, but indefinite, length of time before Asuka turns up, so it is impossible to nail down exactly when 'I need you' takes place, relative to the rest of the story.

Explain.
The posts sticking out of the ground in 'I need you' are grave markers for the other characters (see the link that Reichu posted above). When Shinji came back to the real world, he presumably assumed the others would be there too ("Still, I want to see them again..."); the grave markers indicate that Shinji must have been there alone long enough to despair of the others coming back. How long would that take? A week? A month?... In one of the alternate endings, Asuka comes back and kicks her own grave marker down, (which would have been the coolest ending imaginable, IMHO), and it is interesting to note that in this shot:

there is a broken post.

Also, of course, if you look carefully at the close up of Misato's cross nailed to a post, you'll note that there is a rust streak, which tends to indicate that it has been exposed to the weather for a while...
Last edited by Shin-seiki on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:29 pm

MAGI wrote:A few months ago, I tried to work out which month-range the episodes could have taken place during by looking at birthdays and all. I've figured it out.

Isn't there some sort of Mayan belief that the world will end (or enter some kind of transition) in december of the year 2015?

Just a random connection if that theory is correct or at least semi accurate.

Not assuming that it has anything to do with the story of Eva but just perhaps a strange connection.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:38 pm

My god, I could have gone the rest of my life without even wondering what those posts at the End of Eva were. And this is after what, 50 veiwings? I love this show. ^^

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:10 am

Esion wrote:
Isn't there some sort of Mayan belief that the world will end (or enter some kind of transition) in december of the year 2015?

I believe that it's actually December 20, 2012
I can only take so much retarded.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:32 am

Well nevermind then. :wink:
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”