Can I throw this one out there? This has really bothered me for about 2 weeks.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ephemeral
Embryo

Can I throw this one out there? This has really bothered me for about 2 weeks.

•      
  •      

Postby ephemeral » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:35 pm

I've been trying to make sense of a few things that just don't seem to add up when it comes to Mari. So much is intentionally left unanswered, and this image seemed to be the conclusive answer to a lot of things, but I'm struggling with two key things. Hair color and depicted age in the one image that we get of Yui and this woman with red glasses and red hair.

I know that this theory completely breaks the conventional understanding we have around Mari being an OG researcher that is in her late 40's early 50's.

But at the end of 3.0+1.0 at the train station when age catches up with all of the pilots I just don't see Mari as being that old. To me she looks around the same age as Shinji.

Couple that with her inexplicable ability to pilot Unit 02 and her infatuation with Asuka, to me it seems like the most likely answer would be that she is the child of the original Shikinami (the same way that Shinji is the child of Yui). This would also be in line with the repeating themes of complimentaries and symmetry/balance that we see over and over throughout the series (Angles vs Evas, Longinus vs Cassius, black moon for Lilith and real moon for Adam.)

I know that there are gaping plot holes that would need to be filled here, but wanted to see if there is something that I am completely overlooking)

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Can I throw this one out there? This has really bothered me for about 2 weeks.

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:24 am

Given the deceptiveness and ambiguity of rebuild, this was probably intentionally made unclear. I mean ambiguity pervades throughout thrice, including what happened to Kaji, are the Reis the same (why she holding Tsubame doll), does Shinji get with Mari in the end etc etc.

To me, the woman is an amalgamation of Mari and Asuka characteristics as she has glasses and red hair, respectively. She could be Mari's original or even Asuka's original. I think it's interesting that you say Mari is Asuka's child and I agree with you on many points but I also challenge that with the reverse. The flashbacks suggest a Mari look-a-like was definitely a friend of Shinji's mother. Mari is rather motherly to Asuka such as calling her 'princess', cutting her hair, and saying farewell to her in Thrice. Again, this is intentionally made unclear, and they could also be sisters/half-sisters/no relation.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Can I throw this one out there? This has really bothered me for about 2 weeks.

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:42 am

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:are the Reis the same (why she holding Tsubame doll)

Rebuild's answer seems to be "yes and no". Rei Q seems to be her own self with her own experiences, but she still seems to be Ayanami. Shinji talks about Rei 2 and Rei Q as different people in the Instrumentality even although he considers them both Ayanami.

About Rei holding Tsubame doll, I think Rei 2 inherited Rei Q memories, which likely influenced Rei 2 at some level. However, Rei 2's personality doesn't seem to have changed much (Shinji has yet to convince her that a life without the Eva is possible).

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:00 pm

I kinda headcanoned that the Asuka clone series was derived from Maria Iscariot, and they look different because clones just don't look that similar in Eva-verse apparently.

Or yea, Mari could be the daughter of the woman Asuka is genetically derived from; either way i always imagined they were directly related in some way.

Not that the "piloting Unit 02" thing seems to matter in NTE, because anybody can apparently just pilot anything.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:43 am

Some discussion of whether the redhead in the AEL photograph is Mari's mother from two years ago:

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Right, I think that list of three alternatives is the current consensus:

1) She's Mari.
2) She's Mari's biological mother*.
3) She's Mari's original (from whom Mari was cloned).

I don't think #1 is a great choice because if the animators wanted her to look just like Mari, they could have drawn her that way. But they didn't! #3 is a bit easier for me to believe than #1 because we can imagine some variation/tuning/error introduced by the cloning process.

*random and off-topic: Another theory states that she's not only Mari's biological mother but also Asuka's, because she looks a bit like Asuka too, so maybe that's why there are two men in the photograph -- who AFAIK have no speculated identity at all -- but maybe they're the girls' originals' biological fathers? Anyway, don't mean to start a derail.

I don't remember how deeply we explored option #2 in that topic.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”