What are your thoughts on the fan fictions of Shinji and Asuka having kids?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

What are your thoughts on the fan fictions of Shinji and Asuka having kids?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:03 pm

So there’s been about countless numbers of fan fiction where Shinji and Asuka getting into relationships and eventually start a family together, such famous examples would be The 2nd Try, Ghost of Evangelion, etc. Although this raises the question for me; would that totally be out of character for them, given the context of their relationship?

We all know in the original series that Asuka explicitly stated that she never wanted kids. Of course, she’s too young at that time to be having kids. And with Shinji of all people, that would be even stranger. And some of the fan fictions would make them be OOC at times, like how some authors would make Shinji into a stud and have Asuka be nicer to him than she actually was in the series.

In any case, please share your thoughts.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are your thoughts on the fan fictions of Shinji and Asuka having kids?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:01 pm

Being a sub-set of thoughts on a return to near-normal after 3I/Instrumentality (or after running out of Ube station, for followers of that novel heresy), or side-stepping of same.

As a notorious anti-LAS shipper, I simply do not let such things trouble my consciousness. I do take some wry amusement at the fan arts showing them with a large brood of the usual mix-and-match quasi-clone offspring.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BiQ
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:20 am

Asuka would hardly be the first or last teenager to swear off ever having children to find themselves wanting and having them later on in life. Not saying she surely would, but to say she surely wouldn't isn't really truthful either.

And whether or not they would have children together... well, that's just the question of whether the LAS ship makes any sense in the first place. Some stories do the required legwork believably and some do not, and I guess if you refuse to don the shipping gogglesvehemently disagree with the reading of the base material that gives any leeway for such scenarios, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's just the "to LAS or not to LAS" debate with specific focus and I frankly have no interest in that.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

VeryConfusedDingus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VeryConfusedDingus » Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:20 am

I find it very weird to ship characters in general - let alone in this series. Shinji is definitely not a "stud, he's fruity and makes Elton John look like G.I. Joe in comparison. Also, there's the fact he downright hates Asuka because she is a rude brat who projects her insecurities onto others. I think it's just a self-insert thing. Happens with every show. The ending of EoE implies that they are forced to be together. IMO Kawoshin is canon and has been shown in both the show, films and manga. I have yet to see the later films so maybe it changes? I don't really care.
Please be nice, I am dumb and new :P

Return to “Fanfiction”