Asuka graffitied a phone booth

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

Asuka graffitied a phone booth

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:02 pm

I noticed what looks like Asuka's name written in katakana "アサカ" in the phone booth that Shinji uses to talk his father in episode 11 (about 4 min 3 sec in). But, the middle character is "sa" not "su" ス.

In "Magma Diver" we learn that she "didn't study any kanji" so perhaps she only knows the katakana ending in "a" and is just doing her best to spell her name.

Maybe she knows Shinji uses this phone booth and wants him to call her. :shifty:

I think so, because above her name we see what looks like:

きやよこ

or "kiyayoko" in romaji which, when split into "kiya yo ko" sounds like "call" and then the spanish word for "me" and then the first character of こども (meaning child). Perhaps she means "call me baby." There's also this small cross character in the middle, maybe like X's and O's?

Double post merged - staff

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Asuka graffitied a phone booth

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:27 pm

View Original Postjeffythedragonslayer wrote:I think so, because above her name we see what looks like:

きやよこ

It is actually きやない (kiyanai); and Asaka might be a female given name.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

Re: Asuka graffitied a phone booth

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:31 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:It is actually きやない (kiyanai)

I see, it does look like it is a な, just a little distorted. きゃない seems to be the name of a singer, but, being born in 1996, I don't think the show is talking about him. :tongue:

I also just noticed the word "KARI" written on the storefront banner above the phone booth. Maybe it was written by a disgruntled curry customer?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”