Directly asking Anno Hideaki EVA Questions

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

Directly asking Anno Hideaki EVA Questions

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Wed May 24, 2023 2:50 pm

I know Anno has a rep for disliking his EVA fans....but if one were to ask Anno direct, lore related questions about EVA (like "how many seeds of life/knowledge did the primordial race send out," or "does eva 01 remember everything about her previous life," etc.), would he give straightforward answers or just leave it up to the fan to decide for him or herself?

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

Re: Directly asking Anno Hideaki EVA Questions

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed May 24, 2023 3:10 pm

He'd probably tell you to decide for yourself and use your own imagination. Probably not in those exact words, but that general idea. Truth be told, I don't really get the impression that he even really cares all that much about this aspect of the series, much less has answers prepared for these kinds of questions.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 pm

Closest thing to this is what happened during the process of creating the "Classified Information" infodumps for the PS2/PSP RPG. You collect them throughout the game, and they're direct answers from Gainax (including, ambiguously, Anno) about questions such as these as posed by the game staff. Here's a translation.
Après moi le déluge!

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:13 pm

Anno has spoken very little about the series in regards to answering fans questions. It could be that some interviews are translated but compared to other series he just seems to have fewer ones. and I have very rarely seen him answer fan questions. I've read him telling people that Evangelion is up for them to decide and interpret, and other times he's talked about characters in Eva representing aspects he dislikes in himself and how they're designed to not be typical heroes. But I do not think I have ever seen him answering questions regarding lore or worldbuilding. I personally do not think he likes talking about it because Evangelion is self expression of some very deep, messy emotions, and it as a piece of media is more abstract and about those emotions then hard logic that some fans want. I think the only time he's shut down fanon interpretation was blatantly saying Misato did not kill Kaji and editing this to be more explicit, outside of that there is very little, which is another reason to the constant discussions and analyses of Eva. If you could ask him questions, would you want to?

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:45 pm

So basically, that’s saying that Evangelion is what the fans decide? One of the things about the open endings of End of Eva and Rebuild is that anything can happen afterwards, regardless of what some people would think. And that the characters’ characteristics is not entirely what we’ve seen in the show and films, but they can be more than what some people interpreted them to be. Is that right?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:16 pm

More or less yeah
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”