Why does Misato hate Kaji when he returns?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asunji_Yuko
Adam

Why does Misato hate Kaji when he returns?

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Sat May 13, 2023 11:35 am

It was obviously to indicate that they had some romantic history, so it's obvious why she was jealous of attention he showed Ritsuko, but...why Misato's hate for Kaji at first?

From the sounds of Misato's drunken confession, she actually left him, primarily because he reminded her of her father, and didn't want to be abandoned like she was as a kid, neither did she want to cry as much as her mother did.

So....it doesn't sound like she suspected Kaji of cheating, or caught him cheating, or doing other nefarious things.

Then what was it? Why did she hate him so much?

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

Re: Why does Misato hate Kaji when he returns?

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Sat May 13, 2023 2:12 pm

because she, like most of the other characters in the show, has a tendency to push away the people she's close to, or wants to be close to, as a defense mechanism because doing that is easier and safer than letting herself be vulnerable and risking getting hurt by them
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun May 14, 2023 2:30 pm

It's also implied that their relationship was not exactly the healthiest, so whatever the circumstances of their breakup probably left a bit of a bad taste
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:43 pm

She's a tsundere, just like Asuka. Imagine an older Shinji trolling and teasing Asuka as an adult an Asuka being all flustered and angry about it. Thats Misato and Kaji.

Misato doesn't hate Kaji. Just very tsun for him. Its not like the manga where Kaji actually cheated on her (Its been awhile since I read it so I don't remember their relationship) any "Hate" Misato has for Kaji is projections of her hatred towards herself. She saw her father in him, she was ashamed of their sex, she was afraid of intimacy and how much she loved him, she thought he was using her. Misato's father messed her up her ability to connect with others. She was like Shinji, and she ran away. Kaji reminds her of these insecurities, shames, and personal failures. She hates that and herself, not Kaji.

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:19 pm

View Original PostSefirot Tree Of Life wrote:She's a tsundere, just like Asuka. Imagine an older Shinji trolling and teasing Asuka as an adult an Asuka being all flustered and angry about it. Thats Misato and Kaji.

Misato doesn't hate Kaji. Just very tsun for him. Its not like the manga where Kaji actually cheated on her (Its been awhile since I read it so I don't remember their relationship) any "Hate" Misato has for Kaji is projections of her hatred towards herself. She saw her father in him, she was ashamed of their sex, she was afraid of intimacy and how much she loved him, she thought he was using her. Misato's father messed her up her ability to connect with others. She was like Shinji, and she ran away. Kaji reminds her of these insecurities, shames, and personal failures. She hates that and herself, not Kaji.

That's funny
Isn't it interesting that the 2 most fiery women like the same 2 dudes?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:43 am

People being bitter towards ex-partners doesn't really need an explanation - especially since she seems to look at him as a "mistake" from when she was "young & stupid".

Or that's what she tells herself, later she is forced to face that she was not emotionally honest about her real reasons for the breakup - cold feet due to self-hate & general commitment issues caused by how her parents' marriage sucked.

Early on she's exaggerating & over-acting her fake reasons to avoid confronting the real ones. She was pretty drunk when she spits out the truth, & booze lowers your inhibitions.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:15 am

View Original PostAsunji_Yuko wrote:Isn't it interesting that the 2 most fiery women like the same 2 dudes?

I feel like the parallel was meant to be intentional. The only difference here is that Misato has daddy issues which end up putting a strain on her relationship, while Asuka has imommy issues more than anything
In any case, I agree with Kendrix. Nobody would want to see their exs suddenly returning to their lives like that...

Sefirot Tree Of Life wrote:Imagine an older Shinji trolling and teasing Asuka as an adult an Asuka being all flustered and angry about it. Thats Misato and Kaji.

That would actually be really funny to watch! I would like to see that XD!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:56 pm

I think the reason is quite simple on the wiki and in the information on evangelion's YouTube channels I saw that Misato met Kaji when they were in college and they had a relationship for some reason they ended the first break up and the reason is unknown, maybe because of Kaji's style of being half a soap opera gal, he probably did this with several other girls and maybe due to Misato's somewhat explosive manner at some points she must have gotten angry and then they ended

And this information about them having met before Nerv and during college is official and more clear that even though she is angry with him she is jealous when Kaji is with other women, the scene that becomes clearest, this is from the classic anime and from Rebuild when Kaji hugs Ritsuko and makes his famous soap opera heartthrob jokes
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

Megumin_077
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Megumin_077 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:38 am

View Original PostTurismo030650 wrote:I think the reason is quite simple on the wiki and in the information on evangelion's YouTube channels I saw that Misato met Kaji when they were in college and they had a relationship for some reason they ended the first break up and the reason is unknown, maybe because of Kaji's style of being half a soap opera gal, he probably did this with several other girls and maybe due to Misato's somewhat explosive manner at some points she must have gotten angry and then they ended

And this information about them having met before Nerv and during college is official and more clear that even though she is angry with him she is jealous when Kaji is with other women, the scene that becomes clearest, this is from the classic anime and from Rebuild when Kaji hugs Ritsuko and makes his famous soap opera heartthrob jokes

Worse than that, it's true, but I don't know if it's in the manga and in the same way as the anime.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”