About Zeruel in the second film.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

About Zeruel in the second film.

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:37 pm

Zeruel ate EVA 00 to get around the self destruct in NERV. How did it know to do that?

The Angels are neither mindless nor stupid, and most of them counter whatever beat the previous one. Sachiel was unstoppable by conventional weapons, Shamshel's whips meant blindly charging in was a bad idea, Ramiel made close range combat useless, and so on.

Sahaquiel's self-destructive tactic only makes sense if it was expecting someone else to finish the job of reaching Lilith. But how did Zeruel know how to get around the self destruct system?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: About Zeruel in the second film.

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:19 pm

The easiest explanation would be that the tenth was simply able to sense the explosives and figured that there was no other reason to keep that much of it in HQ.

As for the eigth; the goals there are a bit less straightforward; Reichu has the cliffnotes of her fairly thorough speculation on it on her blog (ctrl+f for "Akira"); some of it has changed since the release of Shin, but the general framework still holds up. The eighth angel is likely to be the survivors of the Katsuragi expedition, being reformed into one being as a sort of mini-Instrumentality on second impact (most important clues towards this: the countless smaller entities around the edge of the angel as well as the two half-Longinus helixes for arms, but there's a chunk more in the larger framework), who more likely than not have their own agenda in parts (see the same color shift used in Impact events when 01 and the 8th wrestle for control, implying that there was more going on in that place than with other angels, by virtue of an Adam and a lance being there). I'm a bit rusty on that side of the speculation, so I can't speak with authority on how this all assembles into the bigger picture, but the angels in the movies are a lot more than meets the eye compared to NGE
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:27 pm

Why would the 8th die after slamming against Earth? AT-Field were shown to grant absurd resistance, and several Angels were shown to have regenerative abilities, so maybe its strategy was simply to use its AT-Field to avoid being torn to shreds by the impact (he he) or if it is damaged by it, to simply regenerate and finish the last trek to Lilith.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:17 pm

No, the 8th was fairly explicitly described as a living bomb; I seem to recall some line about it concentrating its ATF to blow itself up, but I might be conflating that with something else
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Liptonn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Liptonn » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:23 am

Well it could just be argued that zeruel can consume the eva's for more power or whatever reason and this just happened to be in line with terminal dogma being unable to blowup when eva's enter it.This is similar to how the angels after zeruel in nge become more haxed and attack the psyche instead of brute like aarael,armisael and kaworu(To some extent)

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:26 am

What I don't get regarding the 10th Angel's "self-destruct bypass plan" is, What prevents the Nerv staff from detonating the explosives manually? (like Makoto and Misato discuss in NGE episode 24)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:45 pm

It could be that there are no manual overrides because idk, Seele lmao or that it requires multiple authorized key wielders, some of which are not on site and won't be in time, but realistically, this is a case where the scene was not thought about too hard and it was just put in as a neat thing to show off tech/metaphysics

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”