Shin Kamen Rider

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Shin Kamen Rider

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:36 pm

Anno is already hinting at a sequel.

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2274780/full/

DeepL'd  SPOILER: Show
Director Hideaki Anno hints at a sequel to Shin Kamen Rider, but says he has no plans at present.
 On the 9th, a big hit thank-you stage greeting was held in Tokyo for Shin Masked Rider (in theatres now), a new original work born out of respect for the "origin" of the film, with Sousuke Ikematsu, Minami Hamabe, Tasuku Emoto, Mirai Moriyama and director Hideaki Anno in attendance.

Director Hideaki Anno acted as MC at the big hit thank-you stage greeting for the film 'Shin Kamen Rider' (in theatres now) (C) ORICON NewS inc.

When asked by Emoto about the possibility of a sequel, given the hopeful ending, director Anno replied, "The project has been written since I was writing the script for this. I made it possible to make a sequel at the beginning", he reveals. 'Now, realistically, it's a blank sheet of paper, but it remains as a concept. If Toei asks me to do it, it's a certain story", he says, "I've also decided on the title for the sequel. The title of the sequel has also been decided: 'Shin Kamen Rider: The World of Masked Riders', which reads 'Masker World'. People who have read Ishinomori-sensei's original work will immediately recognise it".

See photo page

Unexpected plot. The Japanese government develops artificial intelligence on the same level as that of SHOCKER. Politicians and bureaucrats will enter SHOCKER and do all sorts of things. The story of Ichimonji Rider who fights against it', Anno said. The cast was also surprised: "You can say that much? The cast was also surprised. Anno also said, "We don't have enough money, so I think we'll make do with a reanimated monster (laughs). I don't know how it will turn out, but I have a plan".
 The film tells the story of a man who has been given unwanted powers and has ceased to be a person. Takeru Hongo, transformed into an Augment with high killing power by SHOCKER, escapes from the organisation under the guidance of Ruriko Midorikawa, who was born to the organisation but rebelled against it. The story follows his involvement in an epic battle with assassins who are closing in on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIx0mB-aBRo

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:02 am

He even says himself they don't have the money lol
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:47 am

Hideaki Anno says for the first time in 30 years his future slate of projects is blank:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-04-11/hideaki-anno-says-his-future-is-blank-slate-for-1st-time-in-30-years/.196984

Very interesting if true. Considering we learned development/work on films like Shin Ultraman & Shin Kamen Rider started way back in 2013 it'd be really shocking if Anno truly has no project of his own in development right now. I hope the guy takes a well-deserved break before starting a new project.

As for sequels, it's interesting how Anno developed & built sequels into all the live-action Shin projects he's written but I'd actually be okay if all three of them remained as singular statements and didn't become franchises.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:52 am

Dude definitely deserves a break if he's needing one. That being said, if he's recovered enough and gets the moviemaking itch again, I'd love to see that proposed Shin Gojira sequel and Shin Ultraseven.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:37 pm

Fandango is now showing and selling tickets for May 31st screenings for SHIN KAMEN RIDER at the Regal theaters in my area. AMC should follow shortly.

EDIT: Weirdly it wouldn't let me purchase the seats at two locations, I got error messages, so maybe it's too early. We'll see. I'm holding out for AMC cause the Regals in my area are poorly managed.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:12 pm

Bought tickets to 7PM showing on May 31st; that was the only available showing with tickets at all on Fandango. It is not showing in even half as many theaters as Ultraman was around me as well. I live in a decent sized city, Cleveland OH for you US people, and I have to drive a half hour to the closest theater that has it. No one else had bought tickets yet when I was choosing my seats too.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:47 am

I think Kamen Rider is definitely more niche.
Even in Japan it seems. 2 billion yen box office is where it will probably end up, that's not even half of what Ultraman did. Still a lot, it might end up in the top 10 of the year, but I imagine it was expensive to make too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:00 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think Kamen Rider is definitely more niche.
Even in Japan it seems. 2 billion yen box office is where it will probably end up, that's not even half of what Ultraman did. Still a lot, it might end up in the top 10 of the year, but I imagine it was expensive to make too.

Kamen Rider franchise sells a lot more merchandise than Ultraman. It probably helps tha the Kamen Rider series last a year (while Ultraman series last half year), but the difference is too big.

It's more likely than the first Kamen Rider is more niche than the first Ultraman. Also, Shin Kamen Rider may don't appeal so much to the current Kamen Rider fans.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:30 am

It seems that Kamen Rider's income is much more based on toys than Ultraman, which could potentially mean a younger audience? And considering the violence in this one, a lot of those kids probably were turned away by their parents.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:00 am

Yeah, I wager this is a target audience thing; from what I gather from my toku friends, Ultraman has always been weirder and more esoteric than the generally more fun antics-focused Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, so the existing Ultraman audience is probably more in line with Anno's style of doing things than a lot of the KR audience is
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:06 am

View Original PostThuktun Flishithy wrote:It seems that Kamen Rider's income is much more based on toys than Ultraman, which could potentially mean a younger audience? And considering the violence in this one, a lot of those kids probably were turned away by their parents.

As someone into both franchises let me tell you the toys are relentless for Kamen Rider. Every Kamen Rider has at least five forms that each have different weapons, change devices, action figures, vehicles and all sorts of things. They also have at least one "sidekick" rider with a few things too. The main collectible for Ultraman are the vinyls of the kaiju which tap out around 2,000 JPY. I remember people were making fun of Kamen Rider Saber because his last form was just a palette swap so everyone assumed toy sales were so bad they couldn't afford a new mold. Plus Kamen Rider is never NOT on television with the schedule being a full year. It's working for them, better than Sentai at least, but you have to wonder if some of the releases are tanking and have to be saved but the better performing toys.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:30 am

View Original PostThuktun Flishithy wrote:It seems that Kamen Rider's income is much more based on toys than Ultraman, which could potentially mean a younger audience? And considering the violence in this one, a lot of those kids probably were turned away by their parents.

Kamen Rider also has a strong female audience attracted by the young attractive actors (the Odagiri effect). Maybe a part of them don't feel so drawn to Shin Kamen Rider.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:16 am

Just finished seeing it in theaters, and I gotta say as someone who has barely any familiarity with Kamen Rider as a franchise, I really liked it. It's definitely a bit of a weird movie, and I can see why it got a bit of a mixed reception from critics while fans of Kamen Rider loved it; it feels very faithful to the tv show in that at times it feels more like watching a tv show with a theatrical budget rather than a movie, and I can see why that wouldn't work for everyone. And truth be told, if I didn't like/respect Anno as much as I don't know how well it would've worked for me or how much of the 'quirkiness' of the movie I would've suspended my disbelief for. But I do respect him and his work a lot, and ultimately I had a lot of fun with it.

It's also definitely interesting; with how much of the promotional stuff Khara has put out for the movie involving Evangelion characters (like that one series of pictures where the pilots are all dressed as characters they more or less resemble in SKR), it does become kinda hard not to notice the parallels between the movie and Eva. Knowing that Anno wrote the movie it's not hard to guess why there are so many elements of this movie that resemble things from his most famous work, but it does kinda make you wonder how much of that's coincidental, how much is him reusing ideas from Eva, how much did Eva borrow from Kamen Rider, etc.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:48 am

Absolutely adored it and this is an all timer for me, even though I'm a bigger Ultraman fan when it comes to TV series I think I preferred Shin Kamen Rider to Shin Ultraman. I saw the film with someone who has never seen Kamen Rider and she enjoyed it too and never felt lost. There was really only one meta reference and it was just an "Easter egg" of sorts rather than plot determinative. Something interesting was my theater was sold out! I think the only anime/toku/foreign in general film I've ever seen in a sold out theater was Dragon Ball Super Hero!

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:39 pm

To anyone in the US that wanted to watch this but missed the showing on Wednesday (and somehow sees this), they're doing another screening on Monday
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:09 pm

Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:05 am

Nice to have a confirmed way of watching.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:56 pm

Finally got around to watching it; interesting movie.
The first half feels like a bad recap movie of a good show, second half does pretty well.
If that rumored director's cut happens and it's anything like the deleted scenes that were posted, it is going to be INCREDIBLE
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:43 pm

I think this is Anno's worst work since Cutie Honey (that is including Shin Ultraman, which I prefer) but it's still charming in a lot of ways.

He tries to cram too much into the film, it has little time to breathe, and some of the designs are bad imo (wish they had used Ikuto Yamashita's updated Kamen design). But Anno compositions are awesome as always, some nice action (except when it's hard to follow with too many cuts, uncharacteristic for Anno...I thought worked great in the opening scene, where he is overwhelmingly stronger than the grunts, but no so much in the Spider fight for example), and I love Vasp Girl and like Rider 2.

I think a lot of the issues of this film are due to it being a tribute to OG Kamen, which based on the first two episodes I saw is super trashy.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:14 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think this is Anno's worst work since Cutie Honey (that is including Shin Ultraman, which I prefer) but it's still charming in a lot of ways.

He tries to cram too much into the film, it has little time to breathe, and some of the designs are bad imo (wish they had used Ikuto Yamashita's updated Kamen design). But Anno compositions are awesome as always, some nice action (except when it's hard to follow with too many cuts, uncharacteristic for Anno...I thought worked great in the opening scene, where he is overwhelmingly stronger than the grunts, but no so much in the Spider fight for example), and I love Vasp Girl and like Rider 2.
I basically agree with this, though as a director I think its Anno's worst film period. If you throw Shin Ultraman in there I think I like that slightly less than this overall. Ultraman's script I think is a little more focused at least, but most everything else I think is better in Kamen Rider except for some costume designs. Like I'm sorry but scorpion lady's mask is one of the worst bits of costuming I have ever seen in a film except for maybe the gator man from the unfortunate last episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

I probably would have liked this more if it was animated at least, but even just on a script level I find the first act of this to be very sloppy and that it failed to invest me much in the characters.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”