Significance of EVA-01 ("The Devil") being Lilin rather than "Adamite"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asunji_Yuko
Adam

Significance of EVA-01 ("The Devil") being Lilin rather than "Adamite"

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Tue May 30, 2023 1:16 pm

We know all EVAs are clones of Adam except for the main character's/Unit 01/Test Type/Shogohki/"The Devil," who is a clone of Lilith.

What's the significance of this? I don't recall seeing it discussed in much detail or matter much in the original series

Thoughts?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Significance of EVA-01 ("The Devil") being Lilin rather than "Adamite"

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue May 30, 2023 4:48 pm

I'm not positive that this line in particular has a particularily strong tie to the fact that 01 is cloned out of Lilith, so much as it being contrasted with 01 being called God at several other points throughout; although I will agree that it is an interesting angle to think about
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 pm

View Original PostAsunji_Yuko wrote:We know all EVAs are clones of Adam except for the main character's/Unit 01/Test Type/Shogohki/"The Devil," who is a clone of Lilith.

What's the significance of this? I don't recall seeing it discussed in much detail or matter much in the original series

Thoughts?

Well, in the PS2 game "Evangelion 2", which is listed as Tier 2 canon by the wiki here as the creators of the game extensively interviewed Anno, the significance is that Lilith is a being of knowledge as opposed to Adam as a being of power. Every planet in the galaxy was supposed to have one egg containing either Lillith or Adam land on it which would dictate how life would grow on it, their blood becoming a primordial ooze. I always imagined an Adam planet being pretty neat, kind of like a planet filled with dinosaurs! haha

Check out the "Classified Information" page of the wiki for more detail https://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_In ... ranslation)

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:40 pm

I think some of the God/Devil language used for Eva 01 is probably a bit of inspiration from Mazinger Z. In the first volume of the Mazinger manga (I’m 90% sure this volume in particular was referenced by one of the Eva staff) Mazinger is described as ‘will it be an Angel that saves humanity? Or a devil that destroys the world?’ in language very similar to what Fuyutsuki says about Eva 01 during EoE.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed May 31, 2023 3:51 pm

Yes, Mazinger also does that, but I don't think the notion holds that it is a reference to a reference in another work, so much as simply being a reference to biblical concepts; not like there is any shortage of those in NGE otherwise
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”