Was Asuka Awake When she Laid down next to Shinji in Episode 9?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asunji_Yuko
Adam

Was Asuka Awake When she Laid down next to Shinji in Episode 9?

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Sat May 27, 2023 3:19 pm

This was the DDR/Wall of Jericho episode. Re-watched the episode in Japanese with English subs.

While Asuka did say she was "joking" that Shinji tried to kiss her the night before their mission to beat Israfel, one detail made me think otherwise.

Asuka moves her head at the same time Shinji does when he moves in to kiss her, while "sleeping."

So, was she awake? Or was she feigning sleep? Still not sure.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Was Asuka Awake When she Laid down next to Shinji in Episode 9?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat May 27, 2023 3:24 pm

I think she was asleep at the time. She was most likely sleeping walking into Shinji’s room, so she probably unconscious at that time and was unaware she went into his room.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Sat May 27, 2023 4:54 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I think she was asleep at the time. She was most likely sleeping walking into Shinji’s room, so she probably unconscious at that time and was unaware she went into his room.

Do you think it was meant to represent her actual desire? Or it was purely an accident?

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat May 27, 2023 6:06 pm

View Original PostAsunji_Yuko wrote:
View Original PostC.T.1290#940801 wrote:I think she was asleep at the time. She was most likely sleeping walking into Shinji’s room, so she probably unconscious at that time and was unaware she went into his room.

Do you think it was meant to represent her actual desire? Or it was purely an accident?

I’m not sure. Maybe a bit of both. She may have subconsciously made that decision, although she may have been half asleep at the time, so she wasn’t fully aware of the situation.

Capo98y
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Capo98y » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:57 pm

The fact that she started crying makes me thing she was sleeping

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:33 pm

View Original PostCapo98y wrote:The fact that she started crying makes me thing she was sleeping

Wasn’t Shinji the one crying and not Asuka at the final scene in EOE?

Capo98y
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Capo98y » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:46 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:
View Original PostCapo98y#941612 wrote:The fact that she started crying makes me thing she was sleeping

Wasn’t Shinji the one crying and not Asuka at the final scene in EOE?

If you look at her at the beginning of the scene when she opens the door you can see she wasn't fully awake: https://i.imgur.com/zidEXE9.png
Also why would she start criying and saying "mom" when Shinji was about to kiss her?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:33 am

I think she was definitely awake when she walked in, I don't get where ppl get the idea of attributing it to something as rare as sleepwalking when she's never shown to suffer from that before or after.

From the sounds you hear she first just went to the toilet but then on the way back decided to plopp down next to Shinji because she was presumably feeling lonely being alone in a new place in a foreign country.

Though I would assume that she went out like a light the moment she laid down cause she obviously wouldn't mumble about her mom or cry about it if she was fully awake. (then again, she thought he was asleep.)

So then the day after she would not know what he did but she remembers plopping down next to him, & since she generally assumes all men are horny bastards because of her father ditching her mom for a newer model, she would expect that he did something horny. Planting her boobs in front of his face was probably an attention-getting ploy, not that it justifies his behavior. This is her being like, "Oh, he wants me because he's horny and I'm so hot!" to explain away/ re-interpret that she came to him because she was lonely (and perhaps no less hormonal. Or looking for his interest to affirm her attractiveness, even if she was going to reject him as beneath her. )

This is explicitly paralleled in EoE when Shinji wakes up to find her next to him (& probably why it enrages him so much - she says she wants nothing to do with him but hes good enough as a comfort object... though of course hes very guilty of the same by that point and murdering her is not the answer, to say the least)

The Rebuilds also show her deliberately walking over cause she felt lonely - though of course that time it goes different because she actually asks Shinji if she can stay with him, so instead of frustrated horniness there is an actual heart-to-heart - still, it's meant to contrast/parallel the original scene, much like, say, the twist to the elevator situation.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”