Are the clones/pseudo Lilins really considered human beings?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Are the clones/pseudo Lilins really considered human beings?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed May 24, 2023 3:09 am

Yeah that's a really bad take.
A human does not stop being a human because of an unusual method of conception/embyonic growth
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed May 24, 2023 6:44 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I wonder what was the point of creating the Shikinami series, other than NERV having some kid’s life to ruin and to be used a tool for Instrumentality. Since she’s technically their property, they’re free to do what they want with her.

So why make clones to pilot Evangelions, instead of finding some recruits? It’s like Asuka has no other real purpose in life.

Edit: Also, from another thread:

View Original PostMsenjaKagami#939015 wrote:[Asuka includes herself when describing their "built in limitations" such as their "insufficient emotions". It doesn't say specifically that Asuka was also "programmed" to like Shinji, but I think it's definitely intended to suggest that she is aware that she didn't decide her own feelings..

View Original Postnerv bae#939021 wrote:1) The limiters, preventing the pilots from transcending human limits, are implemented as inefficient emotions in the sense that those emotions are incomplete, poorly-formed, or weak: under this interpretation, Asuka is explaining that their emotions are defective and that she and Rei don't feel as much as regular people.

2) The limiters, preventing the pilots from transcending human limits, are implemented as inefficient emotions in the sense that all emotions are unnecessary, superfluous, and just get in the way: under this interpretation, Asuka is condemning emotions alltogether and implicitly wishing that she was emotionless.

I think I'd always assumed that #1 was correct but now I'm thinking #2 fits Asuka better.

These right there is another difference between clones and real people. They are, at the base of their creation, just organic robots. Some bio androids, if you will. And it’s that difference is why clones could never be true human beings. And it’s why they’re considered fake; their emotions and everything else about them, all fake.

I really think they should just have Asuka remain as a normal human being like she was in NGE, and not some…thing created in a lab.

You realize that's no different from normal people, too, right? Like, our emotions and personality traits are largely predetermined by genetic factors and how our neurology shapes in the womb and early years. There's a reason that, for example, fathers and sons, or pairs of twins will demonstrate similar anger issues or food preferences even if they never meet.

Like, your take is shitty and objectively wrong even before we get into the subject that in Evangelion's universe, souls exist and the clone characters have them. They literally have more evidence that they're free willed, morally valuable beings with genuine hearts than real people in the real world.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:43 am

Yeah the whole "mock Lilin" thing was confusing and kind of dumb.

First, as people have said already, cloned humans still have souls in the Eva universe, original and Rebuild.

Second, identical twins (or triplets, etc.) are naturally-occurring clones, whether it happens in a womb or a test tube is irrelevant.

Again, why the term "mock Lilin" is dumb.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:36 am

View Original PostAsunji_Yuko wrote:Yeah the whole "mock Lilin" thing was confusing and kind of dumb.

To be fair, I don't think the "mock Lilin" term was used to speak about all clones.

The term was only used by Kaworu speaking about Rei Q. It was related to the reason why she couldn't retrieve the Spears, since she doesn't have a soul inside her body.

So, I think "mock Lilin" is about clones without souls inside their bodies.

It's implied Rei Q's soul is Rei II (who is inside Eva-01). Still, Rei Q could develop her own identity and emotions.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:55 am

Well, not quite; the implication by the time of her death in Shin is that her empty vessel had begun growing a soul of its own through the experiences she made. This subsequently also dispels one of the core hangups that some people have in this thread: What makes a human is what you yourself make of the life you were given, not how you were given it. By the time Kaworu calls her a fake Lilin, he does so because she is an empty vessel with no identity of her own; the minute she begins having that identity, she becomes as much of a lilin as anyone else
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:30 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Well, not quite; the implication by the time of her death in Shin is that her empty vessel had begun growing a soul of its own through the experiences she made. This subsequently also dispels one of the core hangups that some people have in this thread: What makes a human is what you yourself make of the life you were given, not how you were given it. By the time Kaworu calls her a fake Lilin, he does so because she is an empty vessel with no identity of her own; the minute she begins having that identity, she becomes as much of a lilin as anyone else

I think Rei Q's soul is Rei II, because the connection between Rei II and Rei Q is pretty obvious. Rei II even seem to have Rei Q memories.

That said, I think Rei Q still develop her own being with her own emotions in Village 3. As you said, "what makes a human is what you yourself make of the life you were given, not how you were given it."

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:10 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:By the time Kaworu calls her a fake Lilin, he does so because she is an empty vessel with no identity of her own; the minute she begins having that identity, she becomes as much of a lilin as anyone else

So we can surmise that Kaworu would have called Helen Keller a fake lilin and 360 moonwalked away. In a philosophical framework, it's a troubling and insufficient notion to say that a person is a person only when their expressed identity fits your standards and definitions. Isn't that tantamount to saying that a person is less of a person (in the sense of being a human being by category) if they have, say, identity crisis or disorder? Rei can only be considered human if she adopts the habits, attitudes, and values of whoever she encounters? Excepting the fact that Thrice confirms this to be akin to soul formation, there's really no good reason to say that's not just mere mimicry.
Après moi le déluge!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:35 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:So we can surmise that Kaworu would have called Helen Keller a fake lilin and 360 moonwalked away. In a philosophical framework, it's a troubling and insufficient notion to say that a person is a person only when their expressed identity fits your standards and definitions. Isn't that tantamount to saying that a person is less of a person (in the sense of being a human being by category) if they have, say, identity crisis or disorder? Rei can only be considered human if she adopts the habits, attitudes, and values of whoever she encounters? Excepting the fact that Thrice confirms this to be akin to soul formation, there's really no good reason to say that's not just mere mimicry.

I guess Blockio means that Kaworu believes Rei Q was similar to the Advanced Ayanami series, who seem totally unable to develop emotions or personality.

In itself, Kaworu calling Rei Q a fake Lilin seems to be related to her not having soul inside her body (the reason why she couldn't retrieve the Spears).

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:57 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:By the time Kaworu calls her a fake Lilin, he does so because she is an empty vessel with no identity of her own; the minute she begins having that identity, she becomes as much of a lilin as anyone else

Wouldn’t the same thing apply to Asuka? I mean, if she were based on a person, then that face wouldn’t exactly be her own but rather borrowed from someone else.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:30 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Wouldn’t the same thing apply to Asuka? I mean, if she were based on a person, then that face wouldn’t exactly be her own but rather borrowed from someone else.

Pretty sure by 'identity' he meant 'personal-identity' like in a sociological (or psychological, i dont remember which) sense: the understanding that you're an individual that exists separate from other people with your own thoughts, beliefs, perceptions, etc. Not 'identity' as in what's written on your ID card/drivers license.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:37 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Wouldn’t the same thing apply to Asuka? I mean, if she were based on a person, then that face wouldn’t exactly be her own but rather borrowed from someone else.

Twins also share a face.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:21 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:So we can surmise that Kaworu would have called Helen Keller a fake lilin and 360 moonwalked away. In a philosophical framework, it's a troubling and insufficient notion to say that a person is a person only when their expressed identity fits your standards and definitions. Isn't that tantamount to saying that a person is less of a person (in the sense of being a human being by category) if they have, say, identity crisis or disorder? Rei can only be considered human if she adopts the habits, attitudes, and values of whoever she encounters? Excepting the fact that Thrice confirms this to be akin to soul formation, there's really no good reason to say that's not just mere mimicry.

He does say quite explicitly that there is no soul occupying her body when Shinji asks why she can't be the partner for pulling the lances, so no, we can't surmise that or any of the points that follow; this is not about behaviour, this is about the metaphysics of it.
Rei Q is not not a full human because of being part of the Ayanami series, it's because she was either purposefully made without a soul, or had her soul yanked out by some means, and was physically incomplete at the time

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”