-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: -46h (GENERAL) [SPOILER]

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:04 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:^This makes me wonder if this was something they came up with afterwards that was not yet planned at the time of Q

I honestly don't think that's the case. Midori's pink hair always felt a bit weird to everyone. I've seen people discussing it long before this short was made availability. Maybe that's because pink hair was something no one was expecting after an entire series and four movies at that point (which is funny considering that one of the series protagonists has purple hair lol). In any case, it made her stand out among the other members of the Wille crew. It was always possible to see that, much like Sakura, there was more to her than we were being shown.
I agree with her VA. -46h recontextualized some bits and pieces of Shin. Now we can clearly see that her hatred towards Shinji is something that's very personal to her. She was attacked and almost killed by beings who look just like his Evangelion, Unit 01. Sure, she didn't know that at first. But once she was told what happened (through the mouth of bitter people like Asuka)... Those bad memories probably kicked in.

And, yeah, sometimes Anno keep information away from the VAs. Miyamura only realized that Asuka was now a clone when she was recording for Shin, believe it or not XD
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:08 am

Wasn't Midori aesthetically based on an actress' appearance in an older movie? I don't know if coloured hair was present there too.
I think it's hard to tell either way when the idea came up. To me her pink hair makes sense to be her styling herself, just because of her personality and mannerisms and such. Kind of fits her lipstick too?

So I think they came up with it for this short. Though it's just a guess. I think it's kind of a weird development, like hair color changing seems rather...non-threatening from an encounter with a FoI. But overall it works still for the short. It's another scar like Misato's literal scar or Asuka's infected eye, though those hit harder for me.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:09 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Wasn't Midori aesthetically based on an actress' appearance in an older movie? I don't know if coloured hair was present there too.
I think it's hard to tell either way when the idea came up. To me her pink hair makes sense to be her styling herself, just because of her personality and mannerisms and such. Kind of fits her lipstick too?

Her dying her hair as a sign of vanity would fit with how she's depicted as the nervous one of the newbies that loudly lose her composure the quickest.
I have the theory that maybe at first her hair was indeed died pink at first, and they they changed the setting for one with much less ressources and technology than inferred in 3.0 (see many of Yamahista's concept arts that were ultimately refused because too technologically advanced for the setting), in a way that hair die wouldn't make sense in-universe, so they changed it for an infection.

We probably will never know unless it brought up in an interview though.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:And, yeah, sometimes Anno keep information away from the VAs. Miyamura only realized that Asuka was now a clone when she was recording for Shin, believe it or not XD

And there's the opposite thing with Mari's Va, who was told details on Mari's backstory that no one else knows, and is still a mystery to this day. :tongue:

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:That said, WILLE crew are angry with Gendo too (he is their enemy after all). This is not shown much, because they hardly interact with Gendo, but Ritsuko directly shoot Gendo in the head in 3.0+1.0.

I think this is the paradox of the situation: we know that WILLE's main enemy is Gendo (and SEELE), Misato says so to Shinji as he's about to leave the Wunder in 3.0.
But most of the scenes of the Wunder crew are about Shinji: their feelings toward him, their opinion on his actions or his return, their desire to punish him (or not)... meanwhile their enmity against Gendo is mentioned at most twice, once by Misato when they start operation Yamato, and by Midori when she threaten Shinji (to put them both at the same level of guilt).
And when we get a "lower deck episode" with Midori's POV, which so far is the only in-depth glimpse we get of the rest of WILLE's crew, we learn that her motivations which made her survive for 14 years to join the fight with WILLE is... to hurt Shinji to punish him (thanks to Asuka giving her that motivation)

In the end it gives the feeling that Gendo is a sort of outside context problem, like an alien invasion that arrived from nowhere after an apocalypse, when he and NERV and SEELE should be the core of their preoccupations, and it probably is, but we never see that.

I think it's obviously a consequence of the story being laser-focused on Shinji after the timeskip, and while it is the core purpose of 3.0, to make us feel the same feeling of loneliness and alienation as Shinji (which it does exceedingly well, making it IMHO the best of the four movies), once combined with Thrice is suffers the comparison with 1.0 and 2.0 which, while still being more focused on Shinji than NGE, still had breathing room to tell other side-stories of the other characters with their own plots: Gendo and Fuyu's deadly game of dupe against SEELE and how it's increasingly escalating, Kaji entering the fray and trying to discover their secrets to counter them, him testing the waters with Misato to bring her in his fight and maybe also rekindling their flame, whatever the hell Mari is doing on her side, even Asuka and Rei's cooking war (which is for Shinji) is ultimately about how both realize that they are very similar and decide to bury the hatchet to have the beginning of a friendship, as the former realize that she can allow herself to be happy now and doesn't need to be in constant competition anymore, and the latter wants to bring Gendo and Shinji closer to "recompose" the Ikari/Ayanami family, as well as taking the opportunity to invite everyone she knows at NERV because she realized that having interactions with people is nice and she wants more of that.

Most of the post-timeskip scenes that are their "own thing" and not centered or about Shinji are those of Rei Q in the Village, finding her place and discovering the joys of life, and even then it ultimately leads to her death... to shock Shinji into going to the Wunder.

If we get more content set during the timeskip, my hope is that it'll manage to finally get away from the shadow of Shinji and start telling stories that aren't ultimately about him.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:57 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Her dying her hair as a sign of vanity would fit with how she's depicted as the nervous one of the newbies that loudly lose her composure the quickest.
I have the theory that maybe at first her hair was indeed died pink at first, and they they changed the setting for one with much less ressources and technology than inferred in 3.0 (see many of Yamahista's concept arts that were ultimately refused because too technologically advanced for the setting), in a way that hair die wouldn't make sense in-universe, so they changed it for an infection.

Well, Midori doesn't really need a lot of technology to dye her hair. It wouldn't so hard to imagine that she could find hair dye even if the technology was reduced.

Honestly, I don't think they have a lot setting established about the way humans live for 3.0, but it's hinted the situation for humans is precarious in 3.0. So, I suspect the plan was always that humans would lack advanced technology

PS: Yamashita would like to take advantage of the futuristic setting for more complex designs, but this wasn't possible in the context.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:42 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Well, Midori doesn't really need a lot of technology to dye her hair. It wouldn't so hard to imagine that she could find hair dye even if the technology was reduced.

Honestly, I don't think they have a lot setting established about the way humans live for 3.0, but it's hinted the situation for humans is precarious in 3.0. So, I suspect the plan was always that humans would lack advanced technology

PS: Yamashita would like to take advantage of the futuristic setting for more complex designs, but this wasn't possible in the context.

Well, Ritsuko still bleaches her hair, but I think that it's easier to make hair bleach than find hair die so... :???:
Maybe we'll get an explanation in an interview one day?

As for Yamashita, what I meant was that in the tweets he published with his designs, some were dated from just before and after Q's release, about which he wrote that they were ultimately rejected for being too "hi-tech", but he also release tweets with concept arts from 2018+, when Anno restarted the production of Shin, and here too he said that they were rejected for being too advanced for the post-apocalyptic setting, and I wondered that if Anno already told him back in 2010-11 that his concepts were too advanced, then why did he made others of the same later?

Which gave me the hypothesis that at first, when 3.0 was released, the technological setting was supposed to be at least slightly more advanced, which would explain things like 02 and 08's new armors, 02's robot arms, fast-charge pods, Anti-ATF rounds... that they can't had just found lying around, and then when Thrice's production was started, they decided to change the setting to a pure scavenger world where everything WILLE use was scavenged from somewhere.
But that's pure fanwank form my part, there's nothing except gut feelings from me here. :tongue:

If anything it showed that Yamashita really wanted some of his concepts from ANIMA to be animated (like the Eva using bits of Angel flesh to use their power, which appeared in several concept arts), and that he really should try to convince Tsurumaki to adapt ANIMA in anime! :D
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:02 pm

View Original PostKonja7#939618 wrote:If anything it showed that Yamashita really wanted some of his concepts from ANIMA to be animated (like the Eva using bits of Angel flesh to use their power, which appeared in several concept arts), and that he really should try to convince Tsurumaki to adapt ANIMA in anime! :D

A translator friend of mine mentioned how there were rumours that there'd be a "big Eva announcement". I wondered if they were going to announce a new series or something, but apparently the big announcement was the Shin Project book. Or not. Either way, they probably have *something* cooking.

Also,

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:56 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:A translator friend of mine mentioned how there were rumours that there'd be a "big Eva announcement". I wondered if they were going to announce a new series or something, but apparently the big announcement was the Shin Project book. Or not. Either way, they probably have *something* cooking.

Wasn't there also an announcement that they were recruiting for a future project?

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:32 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wasn't there also an announcement that they were recruiting for a future project?

Yeah the Japanese Khara site has a careers page that says they're looking for Production Managers and Digital Production Managers (idk what the difference is), some of whom would be working on Khara's next production.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Amitch_1991
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch_1991 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:43 am

Personally, I enjoyed it for what it was, nice to see some backstory of Midori, interesting to see how her hair became pink via contamination, and Asuka's short hair design was pretty cool too.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:56 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:A translator friend of mine mentioned how there were rumours that there'd be a "big Eva announcement". I wondered if they were going to announce a new series or something, but apparently the big announcement was the Shin Project book. Or not. Either way, they probably have *something* cooking.

Japanese love to announce big announcements for what we essentially see as nothing too important. Usually a gambling machine. Or my favourite recent one, the Berserk countdown timer that was just to announce a BD release of the recently aired TV version of the films.

BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm

If they do a dub for this, they better not butcher it like they did with 3.0 + 1.0. In fact, I'm hoping for Funimation to make a dub of this, and a dub of 3.0 + 1.0 using the actors they did for the other 3 Rebuild dubs.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:39 pm

Funi is likely not coming back, they were far too much of a pain in the ass for khara; remember, the reason it took so long for the Q dub to come out was because whatever they had done as a script was so bad that khara ordered them to toss it out and redo it under their supervision.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:24 pm

Let's also not forget Funimation doesn't really exist anymore, it's been absorbed into Crunchyroll. If this gets a dub, it's a near certainty it's going to be the same cast as the Amazon dubs.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:05 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Funi is likely not coming back, they were far too much of a pain in the ass for khara; remember, the reason it took so long for the Q dub to come out was because whatever they had done as a script was so bad that khara ordered them to toss it out and redo it under their supervision.

We said that, but the original Funimation dub was found and it turns out that only a handful of lines were changed.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:50 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:We said that, but the original Funimation dub was found and it turns out that only a handful of lines were changed.

Regardless, between that, the fact Funi took another 2 years to release the redub, and the reality that Funimation isn't going to be dubbing ANYTHING anymore because they don't exist beyond a website that's being phased out, Khara and Funimation's business relationship ended years ago and will never return. Whatever happens next will be up to Khara and Gkids.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:37 pm

It's crazy Funimation got rebranded like that, it was pretty big in the redub department. I remember sending them fan email before eva 4 was released in English asking them to use the original cast for the final film only to find out they weren't involved anymore.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: -46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:42 pm

Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon May 01, 2023 8:57 am

This is an interesting making-of video for -46h! The YouTube caption says something about a "EVANGELION: 3.0 (-46h) Theatrical version" to be shown in theaters with Shin Kamen Rider over the next few weeks. Has anyone seen this? I wonder what adjustments they made for the big screen.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 01, 2023 10:48 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:This is an interesting making-of video for -46h! The YouTube caption says something about a "EVANGELION: 3.0 (-46h) Theatrical version" to be shown in theaters with Shin Kamen Rider over the next few weeks. Has anyone seen this? I wonder what adjustments they made for the big screen.

It's a collaboration with Shin Kamen Rider, where EVANGELION: 3.0 (-46h) will be shown just before Shin Kanen Rider (there is also Evangelion merchandise):

It doesn't seem EVANGELION: 3.0 (-46h) Theatrical version will have changes to the versioj in the Blu-ray/DVD.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue May 02, 2023 1:51 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It doesn't seem EVANGELION: 3.0 (-46h) Theatrical version will have changes to the versioj in the Blu-ray/DVD.

I can already see it: "EVANGELION: 3.0 (-46.6h)" :D

(Midori's hair is a slighlty different shade of pink)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”