"Evangelion Beyond" stage play

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: "Evangelion Beyond" stage play

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:14 am

That poster looks the exact right kind of wild, and the story summary... well, it is the kind of thing that I hoped it would be

DeepL wrote:トウマは「僕らがやってることのすべては嘘の上に成り立っている」と言ってブレスレットを外し、この世界から消失する。
Touma says "Everything we do is based on a lie", removes his bracelet and disappears from the world.

WHAT
I need to see this, and see this do well
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:56 pm

When I posted that last night I was on my phone and abt to go to bed so I didn't actually get to read the synopsis until now lol. But honestly yeah I gotta agree I'm kinda into this idea of a new alternate spin on the original Eva formula; being familiar enough that people will recognize it as "Eva" but being different enough that it can do it's own thing with it's own cast and story. Hopefully it does well!
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri May 05, 2023 5:24 am

Well this is... something.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 05, 2023 2:44 pm

Ah great, the Muskrat has broken our embeds here in his idiotic changes to the api.
But that aside, the performance and puppets look really good. I'm very much hoping that this does well.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri May 05, 2023 9:05 pm

:???: embeds are working fine for me.
yeah, this stage looks great!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 06, 2023 2:23 pm

Huh, weird, they're completely dead on my end.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon May 08, 2023 8:37 am

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon May 08, 2023 3:28 pm

DTGee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DTGee » Tue May 09, 2023 2:48 am

Personally, I think some things just don't work as a stage play. These effects are impressive from a technical standpoint, but they're a bit too much if you know what I mean. They take me out of it instead of help me to be immersed.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sun May 14, 2023 8:21 am

I have to say their use of puppetry is quite creative and unique, really artistic interpretation of evangelion
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat May 20, 2023 9:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECiMN5O4Vg

A member on Discord was able to see it personally in Japan today, here's their summary, as they've asked not to be credited:

Gather round children, it is time for me to tell the story of Evangelion Beyond.

We start with Tomori Soshi (Kaji-Shinji ish) taking care of plants, a woman comes in playing a traditional music. He gets scared, runs away from her. We're then brought back 14 years in the past, in the year 2023. An explosion happens near Hakone, Kano Saneyuki (Gendo like) has a press conference, saying it was due to a meteor brought by the Angels. To prepare for this, he's launching a new agency, Mensch, to create the Evangelion Project. We then flash forward to 2037 (iirc?) where we see Kano Toma (Shinji lookalike) fighting an angel. During the fight he hears a voice, decides to refuse to fight and his father forces him out of control and tries to put the dummy system in place.

Next day, we're in school, there's the teacher rambling about the meteor (but! He's young now!), Kojo Hinata La Fayette (Asuka replacement, but she's got dark hair and blue highlights now) gets into an argument with Akizuki Eri (Mari & Rei II weird mix I guess?) and Hasumi Nawo (Kaworu. But he's just gay ) about Toma disappearing.

Toma shows up in school, and then a giant Eva hand picks him up through the roof. The other pilots get unconscious. We move on to next scene in Mensch. We have Kiryu Iori (Misato replacement) and Sakurai Etsuko (Ritsuko replacement) talk about the pilots being unconscious, Commander Kano comes, tells them he doesn't give a shit, wants them operational. Iori goes to Kawo, tells him she knows he's hiding an item, it's Toma's bracelet (they have bracelets, kinda like DSS choker but, it lights up when they're summoned and don't blow up)

Then we have a scene where Hinata fights an angel, she disobeys Iori's orders, beat the angel but gets injured in her left eye. Gets a white eyepatch (the thing you see in anime). Then we have Soshi meeting with Saneyuki, they say "never expected to meet again", implying they had a history a long time ago. Next day in school, pilots are back, teacher gets replaced by Soshi who goes on a whole speech about learning and birds (asks students name of bird in different languages, Hinata says the French ofc). Then Soshi goes to Mensch, meets with Iori and Etsuko, tells them Saneyuki lies about the whole thing, they get into a fight, he says they're using children

Then we move to Nawo fighting an angel. Has a breakdown because Toma is gone and my gay is gone. Soshi shows up, tells him not to hide his feelings even though Nawo thinks it's weird. We move to marketplace. Eri and Nawo are on the marketplace, Eri is pissed because fights mess up nature, she doesn't care for shit other than nature. Next fight involves her but, midway in the fight she stops, decides to meditate and converse with angel because muh nature. Defeats the angel.

Then all pilots get breakdown. Iori tries to find out about Mensch secrets (forgot to say, we see before Etsuko and Saneyuri in front of a tank with an artificial human (Rei III)). They find out the tank, Etsuko tells them that Eri was the first artificial human but, they let her grow up normally so she's not malleable enough so they made a new one to pilot. Iori confronts Saneyuri, gets him arrested. Then 4 angels show up, she tells the pilots to do whatever they want to defeat it, no orders. They decide to combine together but get defeated. ( I forget to say, during argument, Soshi says he was the reason for the "impact" because Saneyuri had taken him as a son, made him go in the Adam's capsule which promised infinite energy, causing the explosion). Angels are nature fighting back against humanity, Soshi rides the Eva even though he's an adult and will die but fights the angels, giving humanity a new chance. Towa comes back, turns out he was absorbed in the Eva by his mother the whole time. Nawo says he loves him, he says "thanks". Then Iori says she's creating a new agency more in tune with nature. Then end

I'm really not giving it justice but, it's a rough outline
It's kind of Eva x Mononoke
it's 2.5hrs so, it's very condensed in summary But, overall it was well executed for a stage play.
A lot of the focus is on the characters and their feelings, which is like 75% of the play
It delves a bit more in a lot of the themes regarding the characters
But, it's an interesting platform to experience "Eva as Gundam" in a way. You're changing the whole world, keeping similar characters with differences but keeping with a lot of the themes
I'll say, I appreciated the characters being officially other people. Makes it easier to separate when dealing with differences compared to say RoE
There's less "baggage"

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue May 23, 2023 3:33 am

I can see that working rather nicely, and the comment about it being a long, well-executed play is promising.
Here's hoping that it does well.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:11 am

Looks like they're doing a live broadcast of the stage play in August.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:42 am

ooo, that's awesome

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”