azudem's questions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
azudem
Embryo

azudem's questions

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:26 am

In episode 9 we see (probably the only time) Toji not in his black clothes. But when the friends walks in the corridor, Toji's clothes is black again.

Is this just an animation mistake?

azudem
Embryo

Is this long-haired women is Yui?

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:31 am

azudem
Embryo

Yui's clothes changes

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:14 am

What's the point of different clothes on Yui at the same scene?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Yui's clothes changes

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:37 pm

The Touji thing seems like a genuine mistake.

The Yui thing however I think is meant to add to the dream like nature of Instrumentality, with Yui changing between appearances she's had. We've seen something similar in the franchise with other characters. Almost like the character contains all their past at once or something.

Yui is the long hair woman, yeah. Or at least it's strongly implied. Her soul inside Eva-01.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: azudem's outfit questions

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:42 pm

Merged these threads into one;

in order -
1) animation error
2) Given that this is either Leliel or EoE, that would be Yui, yes
3) Yui is not physically there, this is Gendo hallucinating, so the inconsistencies are likely intentional

EDIT: Oops, kuribo did it first and better
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:15 pm

The next thing that happens after Yui's clothes change color is Gendo gets chomped by Unit-01, which has Yui's soul. The change represents Yui assuming Unit-01's color scheme as the transformation takes place. This is just how Gendo gets taken into Instrumentality rather than seeing a Rei clone and is not an hallucination.

https://wiki.evageeks.org/File:M26_C356_b_mid.jpg
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

azudem
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:20 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:The Touji thing seems like a genuine mistake.

But why Toji wears not his black outfit in this scene in the first place? Correct me if I wrong, but I believe it's the only time he wear school's standard white/cyan outfit.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:2) Given that this is either Leliel or EoE, that would be Yui, yes

But that women is definitely older and have long hair? Is Yui just getting older?

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:58 am

But why Toji wears not his black outfit in this scene in the first place? Correct me if I wrong, but I believe it's the only time he wear school's standard white/cyan outfit.

Sometimes the animators just want to change things up a bit, even if it's something minor like that.

But that women is definitely older and have long hair? Is Yui just getting older?

That scene is shown from Shinji's perspective, and we know that he doesn't remember what Yui looks like. As a possible explanation, the reason she looks like that here could be because that's just what Shinji imagines a generic 'mother' to look like (also of note is that at this point, the character most associated as a mother figure to Shinji is Misato)
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

azudem
Embryo

Misato's cross changed in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:52 pm

It seems commonly known that Misato's cross have changed from TV to EoE, namely the hole for the rope became frontal in EoE. And the common interpretation is too fit with the final scene (it's hard to nail it to the grave if hole is through the sides).

But I noticed that in EoE the hole is through the sides too, until the scene where Misato gives the cross to Shinji. Starting from this scene, the hole is frontal and never changed up to the final scene. It seems somewhat contradict with the mentioned interpretation. What do you think?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Misato's cross changed in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:17 pm

I never noticed!
I think the explanation still applies. It could have been a change made mid production? And they didn't bother correcting shots that were animated.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

azudem
Embryo

What the point of killing angels?

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:16 pm

The human instrumentality project, as far as I understand, follows from a contact of two angels. Resulting anti-AT field will destroy all AT-fields of the earth life and the souls will unite.

Angels also wants to contact with either Adam or Lilith.

If so, what the point of killing angels, if the human instrumentality project is the goal anyway? Just let's them contact!

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: What the point of killing angels?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:45 pm

The implication is that Angels contacting Adam will simply wipe out all Lilith-based life on Earth and replace it with their own.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: azudem's questions

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:18 pm

azudem, please stop making a new thread for every single question you have; just use this one
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

azudem
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:23 pm

Sorry, I though "topic" is literally a topic.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:36 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:The next thing that happens after Yui's clothes change color is Gendo gets chomped by Unit-01, which has Yui's soul. The change represents Yui assuming Unit-01's color scheme as the transformation takes place. ...

Mind blown :scanners_head:

azudem
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby azudem » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:43 am

Some findings:

1. Asuka and Rei never calls each other by name or surname. Whenever Asuka can't use a pronoun, she calls Rei by some sarcastic nickname.

2. Pen-Pen is a smart animal. It's kind of fun and cute when he opens a refrigerator. But... wait, WTF, he's reading newspaper?!

3. Misato's car suddenly became red (episode 7 and 23)?

DTGee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DTGee » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:16 pm

View Original Postazudem wrote:3. Misato's car suddenly became red (episode 7 and 23)?

Misato seems like the type of person who would own multiple cars. It's never explicitly stated, but there's a bunch of little easter eggs implying she's a big car buff, such as there being car magazines being strewn about her apartment.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:29 pm

No, that one is empirically not the case; we hear her complain about car loans, she wouldn't be able to afford more than one

AsukaisLiterallyMe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaisLiterallyMe » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:49 pm

That always bothered me, Misato's money problems.

Like, is she that bad at finances on what must be an astronomical salary?

Nerv is not part of the government per se, so you'd think they wouldn't be running on local government pay scales and whatnot.

DTGee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DTGee » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:50 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:No, that one is empirically not the case; we hear her complain about car loans, she wouldn't be able to afford more than one

Maybe the reason she's having loan troubles is because she bought more cars than she could afford.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”