games like evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

FatFatus
Embryo

games like evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby FatFatus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:21 am

games that make you feel like watching eva agin

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: games like evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:50 am

Sort of depends on the aspect that you're looking for; as far as overall atmosphere goes, while it is not the same by any stretch, Signalis hits a lot of similar notes (and is just generally excellent!)
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FatFatus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FatFatus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:09 pm

Thx, might check it out.

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:32 am

NieR Automata shares many themes to Evangelion and has many references to it

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:46 am

I've actually played something recently that does fit the bill: Heaven Will Be Mine. It's a visual novel that covers a lot of similar ground as the more esoteric half of NGE specifically; mechs being extensions of the self, mild existential shenanigans and the sex-laden violence that 01 likes to indulge in when she goes berserk
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:55 am

It's not perfect or anything, but I'll recommend another visual novel in Chaos;Head. The protagonist of that game actually is the twerp that people think Shinji is for not "getting in the damn robot".

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:33 am

View Original PostFatFatus wrote:games that make you feel like watching eva agin

Guys, Evangelion Girlfriend is canonical, right? I heard that initially it would be an episode of Evangelion, but it ended up becoming a game at the end of the day.
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:37 pm

No. Girlfriend of Steel would feel at home during the action episodes, but it was very much made after the fact

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:03 pm

A long time ago I read something about Takeda basically reusing dropped ideas from NGE into GoS (which might be on Evangelion Original), and wanting to outsize Mana and introduce her into NGE canon. You can find some older magazines that introduced Mana as straight-up "Shinji's girlfriend". Takeda seemingly envisioned Mana as a new potential cash cow. I could never find that source again and apparently, it was never translated, so don't take my word for it. Of course, this idea never took off either way, so you can safely put GoS as not canon just like SIRP and all those other silly little Eva games.

On topic though, a lot of people like linking MGS2 to Eva. We know Kojima is at least a casual Eva fan. Something else I played a while ago was this indie game called Into The Breach, a turn-based tactics game by the creators of FTL. Interestingly, you had a specific goal to protect civilian buildings from the alien monsters as those provided power to your mechs, an additional health bar of sorts. Kinda reminded me of Tokyo-3.

Oh, and theres's an Eva MUGEN game that's pretty damn complete.

https://gamebanana.com/mods/47694
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:36 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:A long time ago I read something about Takeda basically reusing dropped ideas from NGE into GoS (which might be on Evangelion Original), and wanting to outsize Mana and introduce her into NGE canon. You can find some older magazines that introduced Mana as straight-up "Shinji's girlfriend". Takeda seemingly envisioned Mana as a new potential cash cow. I could never find that source again and apparently, it was never translated, so don't take my word for it. Of course, this idea never took off either way, so you can safely put GoS as not canon just like SIRP and all those other silly little Eva games.

On topic though, a lot of people like linking MGS2 to Eva. We know Kojima is at least a casual Eva fan. Something else I played a while ago was this indie game called Into The Breach, a turn-based tactics game by the creators of FTL. Interestingly, you had a specific goal to protect civilian buildings from the alien monsters as those provided power to your mechs, an additional health bar of sorts. Kinda reminded me of Tokyo-3.

Certainly what I'm saying is probably only the first game is canonical since there is more consistent with the anime even though it has several other types of endings I think the canonical ending would be That the sister spends one last day with Shinji and then leaves should probably be canonical, yes, already hunting. I've seen many people already considering it canonical I also saw a good part of the fan made, considering it canonical, even channels on YouTube, but this in the first game, the second nothing was mentioned and probably the second game is not canonical, why is it Secondly, it takes place in another universe than the one in Shinji's head, in which he is a normal boy with a normal life and his parents are alive, Yui and Gendo Ikari, and Rei Ayanami is not in this other universe. Universe a clone of Shinji's mother and just a normal girl
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

MoonRabbitMallow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MoonRabbitMallow » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 pm

Oh, games similar to Eva? Or at least, games an Eva fan would enjoy? I would personally recommend SOMA for Evangelion fans. They don't have too many similarities aside from being sci-fi with a heavy emphasis on robots and mechanics, and being very existential, but an Eva fan can get a total kick out of it! (Actually, that kind of sounds exactly like Eva. They cover similar topics so honestly the more I think about it, the more similar they are in my brain.)

It's a survival horror by the folks who made Amnesia: The Dark Descent about surviving an underwater facility overrun with strange creatures and questionable AI ethics. Not sure how high it ranks on the scare factor since RPGHorror is more my niche and those games don't tend to be the scariest, but it is an experience worth checking out, I would recommend that one for people who liked the more identity and existential aspects of Eva, but a science fiction horror nerd might like it too.

The more I think about it, the more the game seems similar to Eva in many ways, from both the sci-fi aspects to the existential ones. I know OP wasn't asking for recommendations per se, but I do recommend it. It really threw me for a loop similar to how Eva did. Now I kinda wanna watch Eva again and play SOMA...
I'll think of something interesting to put here at some point! Probably. Maybe. Not likely.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”