Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Adam
Lilith

Re: Evangelion References and Homages

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:07 pm

The character Wei Cheng in the Chinese TV Drama "Three-Body" (The Three-Body Problem) resembles Hideaki Anno a lot. There's a scene where the character (a math genius who is married to a Japanese physicist) imagines how 3 spheres interact under gravity in space. The second imaginary sphere emerges from his forehead, almost like in a reverse shot of Eva-01/Tree of Life entering giant white Rei's "third eye" in EoE (the angle is completely different though).

SPOILER: Show

This could all be purely coincidental, but The Three-Body Problem is a rather intellectual Sci-Fi story, and many Chinese in the creative field have seen Eva back in the day.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 pm

maybe unintentional by gwitch team but I still laughed

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:26 am

Does this armor look like it was inspired by/is a shout-out to Unit 01 (single horn, eyes and jaw faceplate, vertical shoulder armor, forearm blades) or is that a stretch?
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pm

It's definitely inspired by mecha, that much is for sure; I can't shake the feeling that I have seen that mouth line and general face shape before somewhere, so it's probably in reference to that, but it currently escapes me, where it was
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Tomo-chan is a Girl, episode #11

Just ignore the subtitle.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:44 pm

Re-watching SSSS.GRIDMAN since Gridman Universe is out now and I can't see it due to not living in Japan and Trigger/Tsuburaya/Toho/Whoever's in charge of international distribution are being real cool rn and not giving any word in regards to an overseas release, and this series is already pretty chock full of references to past Trigger and Gainax works, especially to Evangelion (you can kinda tell Amemiya was very heavily inspired by Anno). However one I didn't notice before was this one:

Which admittedly seems like a pretty inconsequential one at first, merely reusing the number for Rei's apartment for Yuta's (the main character of Gridman) as a cute small shout out to Eva. The reason I say 'at first' though is because the reference does somewhat take on a bit more depth when combined with the details that Yuta has amnesia, is technically an artificially created human (although to be fair, so is almost everyone else in his world), and the revelation that he's the vessel/other half of the soul of a powerful otherworldly being (albeit one that's a lot less mysterious and more overtly heroic).

Also adds an possible extra layer to the fact that Yuta looks like this ->
Swap the eye and hair color around and whose character design does it now remind you of? Which to be clear, I don't think Yuta's character design originated as an inverse of Rei's, I know it owes much more to Cliffjumper from Transformers, but it does make for an interesting parallel knowing all that other stuff I just mentioned.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:53 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:It's definitely inspired by mecha, that much is for sure; I can't shake the feeling that I have seen that mouth line and general face shape before somewhere, so it's probably in reference to that, but it currently escapes me, where it was

Idk if this counts as double posting, apologies if it is, but I think I may have figured out what mecha this helmet reminded me/us of

Which I guess might make it like a recursive reference to Eva? I've heard before that Lazengann's design was partially inspired/a shout out to Unit 01, though I don't know if/think that's ever officially been stated.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:20 pm

Nah those are almost a month apart, you're good.
but yeah, it's sort of Lazengann, but I also know that I've seen something much closer to it before somewhere else. Eh, not that important.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:26 pm

If you haven't gotten around to seeing Across the Spider-Verse yet, I highly recommend it.

This admittedly doesn't get a lot of screentime (hopefully she'll get more in Beyond) but it's still cool to see that they did ultimately let Penny become the Evangelion reference she was always destined to be (after being...not that in Into lol).

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:12 pm

One of the legendary Revenant skins from Apex Legends:
Compared to RG Unit-0:
I’ve built enough Eva model kits to recognize this torso when I see it. The back view pretty much confirms it as an Eva homage for me, it’s WAY too similar to be a coincidence, it’s literally got an entry plug cover.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:11 am

Yeah that one is quite on the nose

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 am

I looked it up and apparently it was a part of a collab event with a bunch of other anime tie-in skins… so apparently not only intentional but officially sanctioned, lol.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:56 am

Ah, right, I think I actually remember those; there was also a Gundam one, and I believe a third that invoked toku to a similar degree

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:24 pm

I kinda hate that they gave the skin to Revenant and also made it yellow when Pathfinder also exists and is literally a cyclops robot lol. Especially since most of the other anime inspired skins were more or less color accurate so why not make this one at least a shade of purple

Gussoni
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gussoni » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:19 pm

Bocchi the Rock!
Episode 10
04min01sec
Hitori Gotou: - An unknown ceiling.