Shin Kamen Rider

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

Re: Shin Kamen Rider

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:40 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ I think most episodes are probably the same in that costumes and such are just not very good. They were working with what they had of course, and I guess it has its charm. But I feel like Ultraman for example has aged a little better.

At least early Showa Ultraman- later shows like Ace and Leo had pretty bad effects and suitwork compared to even the original Kamen Rider. Hell, even Kamen Rider's competitor Return of Ultraman (considered one of the best Ultra shows) had atrocious designs for the most part and instead relied on inventive cinematography and fights.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:02 pm

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:Most Kamen Rider shows are pretty interchangable; if you're a fan of anime I would suggest Kamen Rider Ryuki. This was a deeply influential work that inspired mega hits like Fate Stay Night
Do you have a source on this? I don't doubt Nasu being a Kamen Rider fan generally, but Ryuki airing only a year or two before FSN came out makes this seem unlikely to me.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:59 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Do you have a source on this? I don't doubt Nasu being a Kamen Rider fan generally, but Ryuki airing only a year or two before FSN came out makes this seem unlikely to me.

I'll admit I don't have Nasu stating it but much like Hideaki Anno has never flat out said "Akio Jissoji is my biggest directorial influence" I feel there's enough points to connect the dots.

• A war of preset classes that fights for the opportunity of a wish every predetermined number of years
  • A historical warrior in golden armor who keeps resetting the war to gather more wishes that is the same class as our hero
  • A corrupted version of the hero from another outcome where he was corrupted by the wish that is black called "Alternative"
  • An interloper based on a legend while trying to mimic an existing class.
  • The philosophical aspect of what is a hero is brought up frequently as the protagonist was more drafted into the battle royale.
  • A list of rules for the Rider War people fear what would happen but when one character takes it upon them to be the rule breaker they learn there isn't much punishment for disobedience, lol.
There's more but that's off the top of my head. I always see Fate fans say the fact it was only a few years before Fate a reason why it isn't true but I feel that makes it more obvious he was watching it while writing it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:42 pm

Starting to think the film might be hiding something 3.0-style cause wow its out in a few hours and we really didn't get a "proper trailer".

Also teaser 2 is barely different from teaser 1 which we got 10 months ago. It's pretty bizarre tbh.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:06 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Starting to think the film might be hiding something 3.0-style cause wow its out in a few hours and we really didn't get a "proper trailer".

Also teaser 2 is barely different from teaser 1 which we got 10 months ago. It's pretty bizarre tbh.

Anno lives out his childhood and does the writer's equivalent of pulling out all of his toys. :V

Out of nowhere Ultraman bails out the Kamen Riders from some kaiju SHOCKER made from Shin Godzilla's cells and invites them to join the Evangelion Initiative.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:53 pm

∆ Shin Japan Heroes Universe The Movie? OMG. Would be kinda awesome potentially lol.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:57 pm

The film is now out and there's some box office info:
https://www.godzilla-movies.com/topic/51723?utm_content=cmp-true

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:06 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:The film is now out and there's some box office info:

Wait a minute, Shin Evangelion was rated G?

If that's given a general kids rating, what on Earth could possibly be in Shin Kamen Rider to make it PG-12?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 pm

View Original PostThuktun Flishithy wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#939865 wrote:The film is now out and there's some box office info:

Wait a minute, Shin Evangelion was rated G?

If that's given a general kids rating, what on Earth could possibly be in Shin Kamen Rider to make it PG-12?

Even crazier: End of Eva was rated G. lol
So yeah, there must be some horror-sh aspect to the film.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:54 pm

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:09 am

Shin Kamen Rider official social media is dropping spoilers lesft and right now. A post release trailer that must be packed with spoilers too.
See you when the film is available here.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:45 am

First three minutes of the film apparently. I knew the trailera were hiding something!
https://youtu.be/uydUqZFSyQI

SPOILER: Show
Holy FUCK!

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:25 am

Welp now I have gotten the answer as to why it's PG-12.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:29 am

View Original PostThuktun Flishithy wrote:Welp now I have gotten the answer as to why it's PG-12.

SPOILER: Show
Should be 18+ lmao. It's funny none of the teasers hinted at the gorefest. Some kid must have been surprised by this... -o-;

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:22 pm

The first 20 minutes of the film were shown on TV/are still on the internet if you have a VPN.
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1640739340610600961?t=aW89CTHe0lDrQXWwuh0p9A&s=19
Subtitled version is out there since today.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:31 am

AMCTheaters has a page and placeholder date of May 31 for Shin Kamen Rider.

That's a Wednesday so I expect, if this date sticks, it'll be similar to the Shin Ultraman run in January where it ran for two nights. One subbed. One dubbed.

Gonna keep my eyes out to get tickets. I missed out on Ultraman and I'm not missing out on this.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/shin-kamen-rider-73213

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:50 pm

The film is kinda struggling at the box office btw. IIRC it's at 1.5 billion yen currently, and 5th place in its third weekend. Still pretty succesful, but the thing is it probably also cost quite a bit.

I have to wonder if tokusatsu films are sustainable (outside Godzilla).

I also recently learned Tsuburaya was expecting Shin Ultraman to make between 8 and 10 billion yen (it made 4.4). I don't know why they expected that much tbh, even with the franchise being popular. That'd have made it one of the most succesful Japanese films ever!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:30 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I also recently learned Tsuburaya was expecting Shin Ultraman to make between 8 and 10 billion yen (it made 4.4). I don't know why they expected that much tbh, even with the franchise being popular. That'd have made it one of the most succesful Japanese films ever!

Didn't 3.0+1.0 make 10 billion? They probably saw that and just assumed Anno's name would make the same draw.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:10 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#940220 wrote:I also recently learned Tsuburaya was expecting Shin Ultraman to make between 8 and 10 billion yen (it made 4.4). I don't know why they expected that much tbh, even with the franchise being popular. That'd have made it one of the most succesful Japanese films ever!

Didn't 3.0+1.0 make 10 billion? They probably saw that and just assumed Anno's name would make the same draw.

I think they were hoping for a bigger international push because their YouTube numbers are actually pretty great world wide with their new habits of subbing and putting up new Ultra Shows on youtube consistently.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:58 am

I mean they kinda screwed themselves in that regard by delaying the international releases so much. I had to keep the hype train going for seven months before I could finally see it, and I'm sure in those months a lot of people either forgot, decided to pirate it instead, or got turned away by spoilers. And despite that, they made $600,000 in just two showings (making it the 25th best Fathom Events release in all the years it's been running) that were in the middle of the week. If they had released it earlier, moved the NA release to the weekend, and offered more showings, I'm sure they could've made a lot more money.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”