Let's try finding 3.0+1.11 changes!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Let's try finding 3.0+1.11 changes!

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:15 pm

This absolutely minor change is giving me the motivation I've needed.

I think we might even be able to coordinate the search? Like divide the film into parts and assign each one to a different user that has the new version.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Let's try finding 3.0+1.11 changes!

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:40 pm

Subtle but interesting. I can take a 10 minute chunk and start staring at both versions of it next week.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:50 am

Awesome!
Let's see if some more people are willing haha.
I don't mind a big chunk, I'd even do it with the whole film, it'd just take me really long lol. And I don't trust myself to find stuff like that Ritsuko change.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

HeadstrongWolf
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HeadstrongWolf » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:26 pm

I checked a few different rips of the bluray version, and they all seem to have an issue with coloring, both the 1080p encode and the 2160p encode. The Amazon version has more saturated colors, but the bluray, for some reason, has more faded coloring. This is very noticeable on anything that involves the color red, but isn't applied to just that color.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
It's easier to sleep than to let go of my dreams.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:45 pm

I've seen similar comments on twitter. Could be a genuine artistic choice. But not sure...
This bluray took some time so I imagine they made sure it's perfect.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:18 am

God I would kill for Khara to release the theatrical cuts to us in some form. Maybe when they inevitably release the $700 BD box in 2048....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:17 am

Whoops, I dropped the ball on this. Okay, uhh, next next week. But I did just manage to validate that I can find the twitter thread's Ritsuko example:

SPOILER: Show
3+1 (Prime) 1:13:06:

3+1.11:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:37 am

∆ Awesome!

I hope I get started today already lol. I have been postponing it too.

HeadstrongWolf
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HeadstrongWolf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:16 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I've seen similar comments on twitter. Could be a genuine artistic choice. But not sure...
This bluray took some time so I imagine they made sure it's perfect.

For an artistic choice, it's odd. The other films have been released on bluray, so this just makes the discoloration seem more... Out of place, like it was a mistake or a poor last minute decision. (But you're probably right lol)

Here are some comparison screenshots showing the change in color ; most notable is the screenshot with Gendo, where the "blood" now looks more like LCL due to the de-saturated color / filter. (These are all from the intro.)

These color changes are also more evident when any scene involving impact from 3.33, where instead of the red used in all films, it's now... Orange. The blood from Eva cores, is... Orange. (In most spots.)

Top - Japanese Bluray / UHD
Bottom - Amazon Webrip (worldwide)

SPOILER: Show

I'm watching these with a free program that plays them side by side rather than on top of each other, and I have to manually sync them (Awesome Media Player) ; does anyone have a suggestion on a better program? VLC seems to be awful at controlling 2 videos at once.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:27 pm

Holy fuck this is even worse that the "green tint of doom"!
How the hell could something like that pass Control Quality?!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:44 pm

That's not actually an issue with the release. The UHD disc uses the BT.2020 color space (Meant for HDR, which this movie is not) which shows incorrectly in players that aren't set up right. When correctly played, it's the same if not better than Amazon. If there is an actual QC issue, it's that bright whites are tinted green for some reason (present in every release and 3.333)

HeadstrongWolf
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HeadstrongWolf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:46 pm

View Original PostZeruel48 wrote:That's not actually an issue with the release. The UHD disc uses the BT.2020 color space (Meant for HDR, which this movie is not) which shows incorrectly in players that aren't set up right. When correctly played, it's the same if not better than Amazon. If there is an actual QC issue, it's that bright whites are tinted green for some reason (present in every release and 3.333)

Interesting, I didn't know that about UHD... But the 1080p Rip I found was also like this. I assumed it came from the bluray that comes with the UHD, not just a downscale. Maybe I was wrong.

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:12 pm

View Original PostHeadstrongWolf wrote:
View Original PostZeruel48#939833 wrote:That's not actually an issue with the release. The UHD disc uses the BT.2020 color space (Meant for HDR, which this movie is not) which shows incorrectly in players that aren't set up right. When correctly played, it's the same if not better than Amazon. If there is an actual QC issue, it's that bright whites are tinted green for some reason (present in every release and 3.333)

Interesting, I didn't know that about UHD... But the 1080p Rip I found was also like this. I assumed it came from the bluray that comes with the UHD, not just a downscale. Maybe I was wrong.

The 1080p disc doesn't have the same issue, so it most likely is.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:40 am

I'm currently watching both versions of the film side by side, looking for changes (if there are any!).

Regarding the colors, I have to say there is very little difference in what I'm seeing. BD is less saturated but I couldnt say which version I prefer. The screenshots posted in this topic look very different from what I'm seeing.

I'm seeing both on one screen btw.

EDIT:
No changes found. Apart from color grading and Ritsuko face. If there are changes and I missed them I imagine they are Ritsuko face level.

This must be one reason the shorts were included. And it just makes sense. By 3.0+1.01 the film was probably already perfect.

LOL if Ritsuko is actually the only redraw.

AsukaShikinami10
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaShikinami10 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 pm

Do you guys know if there are changes in the mass-produced Evas we saw being built inside Neo Nerv's HQ in 3.33?

Did the production change the light green/beige color palette that ressembled the original Mark.07s from the NTP to a more accurate one that matches what we saw in the final production of Shin Eva or did it stay the same in 3.333?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:16 pm

IIRC it is unchanged in 3.333.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 am

View Original PostAsukaShikinami10 wrote:Do you guys know if there are changes in the mass-produced Evas we saw being built inside Neo Nerv's HQ in 3.33?

Did the production change the light green/beige color palette that ressembled the original Mark.07s from the NTP to a more accurate one that matches what we saw in the final production of Shin Eva or did it stay the same in 3.333?

Do we know for certain that those are supposed to be the Mark.07s?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:19 am

They never got a name, but given that the Mk.07s have quite similar facial features to Mk.06 (look at the chin especially), I'd say that it's a reasonable assumption that they were supposed to be the 07s in production initially
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:53 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:Do we know for certain that those are supposed to be the Mark.07s?

Yep:

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:14 am

Huh, haven't seen those concept arts before. Cool stuff!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”