Halo series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Halo series

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 pm

I’m not sure if someone made a thread for the Halo franchise, so I decided to make one here.

I’ve been a fan of Halo for 20 years now. I remember the first time playing it with my friends from back then. Then I got my first Xbox console and a limited edition of Halo 2. And later, I got a copy of Combat Evolved and beaten both games, though I did it backwards at the time. From that point on, I’ve been a huge fan of the game series, it became a big part of my life and a major influence. I read some of books, bought some of the action figures, oh, what a great time of my life. I also bought just about every Halo game that came out in the following years, I upgraded from the old Xbox to the Xbox 360, and later the Xbox One, just to play those games. I gave away the old games since I have the Master Chief collection, which had all of the past games in one package, along with Halo 5 Guardians and Infinite. I’ve been currently playing Infinite to complete the weekly challenges and ranking up to unlock the cosmetic items. And I switch around to the Master Chief collection to complete some challenges on there as well, and to also reply some the campaign levels.

You could say that I’m a total nerd when it comes to Halo. Hell, I even got the latest edition of the Halo encyclopedia, which I called my nerd book. I even surf on the web for some Halo related stuff, about the lore, equipment, and basically some other stuff. Ask me anything about it, and I can tell you from the top of my head. With some of the new updates that’s been coming out on Infinite, I can tell you that are some new, unexplored things about Halo that is yet to be discovered, so much possibilities.

As for merchandise, I would go for anything Halo, from action figures to novels and coffee mugs. I remember reading some of books like the Fall of Reach, being my book, followed by the Flood. I haven’t quite gotten around reading First Strike. :sniffle: Some time ago, I got back to rereading the Cole Protocol for the first time in years. There’s been so many novels, I’m not sure if I can read them all!

The main character, the Master Chief, also known as John 117, is a major hero in my lifetime. I can honestly look up and idolize him, such an inspiration! A man who is professional in his line of duty, the kind of guy who really knows what he’s doing and manages to keep his cool. I could learn many things from him. There’s also a great number of other characters, like Sergeant A.J. Johnson, Captain Keyes, Edward Buck, Cortana, the Arbiter Thel Vadam, Noble Team, and so many others.

Online multiplayer is another major backbone of the series, along with the main story in the campaign mode. I’ve always had fun shooting some Covenant forces, and my least favorite foes being the Flood(I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near those monsters), and the Forerunner Prometheans, and more recently, the Banished. I think do better taking on enemy AIs than I am with taking on other players. With online multiplayer, I’ve had some pretty good matches along with some bad ones. I always get my ass kicked by other players. I don’t know how they do it, but some of them are obviously better than I am.

I also have some pretty good knowledge about the series, like all of the weaponry, vehicles, their strength and weaknesses, what to do in some circumstances in some of the matches (though I’m not really skilled like how I like to think I am). With the new updates that’s been going on in the recent game, I managed my way in some of them, learning to adapt, and try my best in those matches.

All in all, Halo is my all time favorite of the game series, and I’ll continue to stick with it for as long as I live.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re: Halo series

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:37 pm

I'm a fan of the old franchise (2001 - 2011), not so much 343i's stuff, I just find their entire approach to it intolerable and disingenuine, that rowdy rough environment that crafted the old Halo's, that development team was lightning in a bottle, people who understood what they were doing and understood challenge and coherent, tempered game design.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:24 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I'm a fan of the old franchise (2001 - 2011), not so much 343i's stuff, I just find their entire approach to it intolerable and disingenuine, that rowdy rough environment that crafted the old Halo's, that development team was lightning in a bottle, people who understood what they were doing and understood challenge and coherent, tempered game design.

I can understand that sentiment. I see that pop most of the time on the Halo Waypoint forums, and sometimes on Facebook. Though I thought that Halo Infinite feels a more like the old Halo, more so than 4 and 5. Yes, it has its issues, though I think that 343i is working on them. I do agree that the first three games including Reach were the best ones.

Let’s just hope that 343 would do better in the future installments.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:05 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I can understand that sentiment. I see that pop most of the time on the Halo Waypoint forums, and sometimes on Facebook. Though I thought that Halo Infinite feels a more like the old Halo, more so than 4 and 5. Yes, it has its issues, though I think that 343i is working on them. I do agree that the first three games including Reach were the best ones.

Let’s just hope that 343 would do better in the future installments.

I agree, I do hope they get themselves together, but I'm not expecting much, which is a good mindset I guess, that way I might be pleasantly surprised, I'm mostly indifferent to 343's stuff, I don't outright hate them, I think people become far too passionate about it instead of trying to pick up the pieces of where things went wrong and coherently forming a list of demands and desires, with a clear priority to the most crucial things.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:51 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I think people become far too passionate about it instead of trying to pick up the pieces of where things went wrong and coherently forming a list of demands and desires, with a clear priority to the most crucial things.

The problem is there was a very clear and obvious idea of what Halo fans wanted after 4 and 343 just seemed to double down on all the things people hated about 4 when making 5 plus adding other problems that further stained the series.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:02 am

A great deal of H5 in hindsight looks like 343 going to hardcore MLG sweats and asking them instead of going to the community at large.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”