Midori's hair

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Midori's hair [SPOILER]

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:58 pm

From the subs that I saw, Midori says that her family and "everyone" turned red, so they were probably tanged and merged inside a FoI.
Which would mean that logically at the end of Thrice her family was restored alongside everyone else (they're gonna get one hell of a shock!), that also makes me wonder if her hair also turned back to normal.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:25 pm

Yeah it's going to be weird for the Kitakamis to find their daughter is possibly only a few years younger than they are.

I think the hair thing is permanent though. From the short it look like it was like having acid splashed on it.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:49 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Why did that EVA's blood change it?
Konja7 wrote:In this case, it was only the blood of the Wanderers that falls on Midori's hair.

Eva 02 blood? Wanderer blood? Some fluid that only spurts out when Eva 02's arm is rubbed on a Wanderer's chestplate? :um:

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:09 am

She was clearly exposed to that Wanderer's blood (it looks so cosmic like, by the way)...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm

Hey, I just thought of something: I always found it weird how the villagers bought Kensuke's story that Rei Q was a refugee, since she has blue hair and red eyes.
But if Midori lived in the same Village, they must know that exposure to Wanderer's blood can do weird shit to your hair, so they might had thought that it was the same for Rei Q, and maybe that she had a heavier exposure. (maybe they even thought that her lack of memories came from there too)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:25 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Hey, I just thought of something: I always found it weird how the villagers bought Kensuke's story that Rei Q was a refugee, since she has blue hair and red eyes.
But if Midori lived in the same Village, they must know that exposure to Wanderer's blood can do weird shit to your hair, so they might had thought that it was the same for Rei Q, and maybe that she had a heavier exposure. (maybe they even thought that her lack of memories came from there too)

!

This potentially dissolves a longstanding point of confusion for me re: the instant & wide village acceptance of Rei and makes the pink hair stuff seem like it services plot instead of being magic anime goo for no reason.

Although I have to wonder if it is in fact widely known by anyone why her hair is pink, and how common an occurrence it was that someone was affected in some deleterious or obvious way by the goo.
Après moi le déluge!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:34 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:From the subs that I saw, Midori says that her family and "everyone" turned red, so they were probably tanged and merged inside a FoI.
Which would mean that logically at the end of Thrice her family was restored alongside everyone else (they're gonna get one hell of a shock!), that also makes me wonder if her hair also turned back to normal.

Looks like not shooting Shinji was super worth it in the end.

But yeah everyone in the village or at WILLE is potentially in for some weird reunions - going back to near-normalcy after 14 years in the wasteland is gonna take some adjusting.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:40 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Looks like not shooting Shinji was super worth it in the end.

But yeah everyone in the village or at WILLE is potentially in for some weird reunions - going back to near-normalcy after 14 years in the wasteland is gonna take some adjusting.

That is excellent fanfic fuel on how the people who lived through Third Impact and the 14 years of red Earth have to adapt to a world suddenly back to normal with 3-4 billions people for whom everything happened in the blink of an eye. For one, how WILLE will deal with government now being back and probably wondering why most of her naval fleets and air forces disappeared! :D

The way I imagine it, WILLE and Kredit probably won't take survive long after the last movie, since all of the reasons for their existence (defeating NERV/SEELE, protecting and organizing the survivors, restoring the world) are now gone thanks to Shinji's last stunt.

There's a series of fics which explore that topic in the background: since people randomly came back around the world, that created a bit of chaos, and as the governments (both pre-3I and those who were born during the timeskip) are back, WILLE is rapidly losing its relevancy and legitimacy, and it's implied that it's at the cusp of falling apart and disappear.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:15 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I think that what Freaky means is why Midori wasn't transformed into a FoI even though anyone around her did (we see them emerging from the ground around her) and how could she outrun the core erosion wave that was spreading through the world at light speed.

I think the erosion only spread at "lightspeed" while Third Impact was happening. What we see in the scene with Midori happens after Third Impact has been stopped (that's why Mari and Asuka can afford to be patrolling the land for survivors), but apparently the erosion spread does not come to a full halt immediately, and instead "tapers down" and eventually stops completely?

This still does not explain how she was spared and her family wasn't even if they were together for her to witness it.

Perhaps they all were far away enough from the epicenter that they weren't caught in the "lightspeed" phase, but rather in the "afterglow"? This doesn't make much sense given that they must have definitely been in Japan, and we can clearly see Thailand engulfed during the "rapid phase" from space...

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:54 pm

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:This still does not explain how she was spared and her family wasn't even if they were together for her to witness it.

Perhaps they all were far away enough from the epicenter that they weren't caught in the "lightspeed" phase, but rather in the "afterglow"? This doesn't make much sense given that they must have definitely been in Japan, and we can clearly see Thailand engulfed during the "rapid phase" from space...

Maybe they were on a trip in a foreign country? The forest around Midori looked dead, as if it was winter, even thought Japan is supposed to have an eternal summer, so maybe they were somewhere like in Central Asia or Europe where it's always Winter? (Europe would fit with Asuka's flashback of Germany where it's winter)

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:56 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Maybe they were on a trip in a foreign country? The forest around Midori looked dead, as if it was winter, even thought Japan is supposed to have an eternal summer, so maybe they were somewhere like in Central Asia or Europe where it's always Winter? (Europe would fit with Asuka's flashback of Germany where it's winter)

Left-hand traffic street markings (I think?), Nerv VTOLs, and rice paddy fields (I think?) make Japan a likely setting. I didn't see Mount Fuji in any of the panning shots though.

SPOILER: Show

I can't remember, is eternal summer established in NTE like it is in NGE?

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Maybe they were on a trip in a foreign country? The forest around Midori looked dead, as if it was winter, even thought Japan is supposed to have an eternal summer, so maybe they were somewhere like in Central Asia or Europe where it's always Winter? (Europe would fit with Asuka's flashback of Germany where it's winter)

Unrelated to this topic, but I remember seeing a video on YouTube (can't remember if EyesOnly or some other channel) that argued that in the NTE continuity, Japan is not an eternal summer. I don't remember the details, but it was based around the vegetation (specific flowers, etc.) and rice farming methods we see in Village-03. The conclusion was that 2I (or perhaps 3I?) did shift the Earth's axis this time too (and hence 2I ground zero is no longer the South Pole), but unlike NGE, the shift was such that Japan ended up in pretty much the same latitude as before, but south instead of north (hence, it still has four seasons, etc.)...

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 pm

Inconsequential detail, but it just occured to me that it's kinda funny/ironic that Midori's name is Midori (which means green) yet she's...well, pink. I mean I guess pink/magenta is the opposite color of green in color theory (I think) but I just thought that was amusing.
Last edited by MsenjaKagami on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:24 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Inconsequential detail, but it just occured to me that it's kinda funny/ironic that Midori's name is Midori (which means green) yet she's...well, pink. I mean I guess pink/magenta is the opposite color of green in color theory (I think) but I just thought that was amusing.

Indeed... If anyone should have pink hair, that would be Sakura :D

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:37 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I can't remember, is eternal summer established in NTE like it is in NGE?

I don't think that's snow, I think that's the plantlife decaying as the "life force" is being sucked out of it to finally manifest as/form the wanderer.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”