Original Funimation Dub of Eva 3.0 Found

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CSManiac33
Embryo

Re: Original Funimation Dub of Eva 3.0 Found

•      
  •      

Postby CSManiac33 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:39 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original PostGentlemanX#939271 wrote:Now we wait if there's a fourth version once an English release of 3.333 comes out, gotta at least switch out that one Asuka line, right?

What line are you talking about?

There is a changed/removed line in 3.333.

Taken from another post on the forums

^"Antakoso dareyo!" is the scene where Rei asks "Who?" when still incomplete beast mode Eva-02 attacks Mark.09 and Asuka answers "And who are you?! = Antakoso dareyo"
The reasoning behind the removal of that scene seems to be that Wille know that most NERV units are piloted by Ayanami series and so that scene Asuka questioning who pilots the unit is unnecessary.
Even Mari knew that the pilot is Ayanami clone based on the fact that she said "Another you was more pleasant" to Rei Q, so Asuka should know about this too, especially since she's spent more time with Rei than Mari and should recognize her voice.

Edit: There is also another minor change. The code Asuka says is when entering Beast Mode is changed from Code 777 to Secret Code 777 to match more closely to what Mari says in 2.0.
Last edited by CSManiac33 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:41 am

A lot of people protested when I pointed out the whole idea of the 3.0 redub being done because of Khara showing up and wanting to hide the gay was absurd on so many levels, so it's good to see this point validated. Besides, there is no evidence of that having happened, and the only source for it is a post by a guy with a Mussolini pic on SomethingAwful, and every date and claim of his I could verify don't check out. In reality it was just a really shoddy dub.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:29 am

^ this, a lot. "khara participates in gay erasure" is such a bad, terminally online take that it kind of baffles me just how many people uncritically subscribe to it.
Besides the fact that those self-proclaimed champions of queer representation do so by ways of unapologetic bi erasure (which, if we insist on sticking a label beyond "confused teenager working through feelings" to the Shinji of either continuity, thats the closest we have), it is patently ridiculous to throw accusations of queerphobia at the same company who is in full support of openly nonbinary Hikaru Utada and Megumi "I don't really see myself as a woman" Ogata.

So yeah, very glad that this nonsense is finally starting to be recognized as such.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:22 am

Not to mention the Netflix dub that crew is so critical of also casts a non-binary actor as Shinji instead of an old white cisgender dude. Khara isn't pro queer erasure, they're pro cringe dub erasure.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:36 pm

Netflix Shinji is played by a non-binary VA? Didn't know that, cool.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:02 pm

As I wrote somewhere else, it seems that the whole thing between Khara and the old dubbing company was blown out of proportions: from an outsider's perspective the fact that the original dub version was pulled out soon after the con where everyone had a jolly time seeing 3.0, delaying the Home Video release for more than one year, then the change of the dubbing company and most of the cast for a new release of 1.0 and 2.0 and ultimately also for the TV series might had given the feeling of a big drama and falling out between Khara and Funi.
When what might had actually happened was that someone at Khara took a look at the initial 3.0 dub (maybe that was after said convention), saw that there were some inconsistencies and Khara then asked to have some of the lines redubbed, and since not that many people saw the original theatrical version and that was more than one year ago, no one realized that the changes were fairly minors, aside a few lines that are remembered specifically because they sounded kinda out of place (like Asuka's "he's not an idiot, just an asshole" line)

Then Khara realized that there was a relatively important market for Evangelion in the English-speaking market, so they decided to invest more in the dubbing and have a tighter control on what is said in it. The period coincided with the moment they made a contract with Netflix to release the TV shows, so they took the opportunity to apply the same tighter control over it and redid the dubs.

And... that's probably it, the Eva community being what it is, the whole thing was blown out of proportion.

Now there might be some constructive criticism of that decision, like how despite being pretty raw at times, the original Funimation dub breathed a lot of life in the characters in a way that impacted the English audience, to the point that some of the quirks of this version are still well known among the fandom (like Asuka peppering her phrases with German) and just throwing that might had been a bit too much, or how the new versions of the dubs sound more "stifled" and not natural sounding compared to older version, but it is what it is.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:40 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote: they're pro cringe dub erasure.

Well...I agree with everything else said except this bit considering we did still get the amazon Rebuild dubs which are (and I don't use this term lightly) objectively the cringest dubs we've gotten for this franchise (yeah, I realize they had to get the dubs out as soon as possible for the global release but still).

On the subject of the dub itself though, it is funny that if anything, the Home Release version of Shinji and Kaworu's lines are more homoromantic than the Theatrical version as opposed to what the rumors/accusations suggested. Kaworu saying "Nothing can stop us when we’re together. Right, Shinji?" comes across much more like generic "power of friendship" bullshit while "Good things happen when we’re together. Right, Shinji?" a.) sounds more like something Kaworu would actually say and b.) leans much more into a romantic Kawoshin reading (and I mean, I love power of friendship bullshit, but it doesn't really feel like that's what was supposed to come across in this scene). To a lesser extent, IMHO, Shinji calling Kaworu is his "best friend" gives more of a "Sappho and her friend" vibe, and while calling him a "great friend" instead isn't that drastic of a change, it doesn't come across as Shinji "friendzoning" him like the best friend line (Admittedly this example is very much more my personal take, and for the record I'm not trying to say that friendship and romance are mutually exclusive)
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”