Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:00 pm

I don't seem to recall the FAR ever mattering to the plot. As for Armaros.... yeah Anima is not a very well-constructed story, there's a lot of other blatant oversights in there, I think Yamashita just forgot
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:17 pm

Well, it wasn't exactly "not explained". It says that because Mari was a gestalt entity with all the animals, Armaros couldn't immediately take over completely cause it had to fight for control with all the other minds/souls that were a part of her. I'd actually say it's sorta implied that eventually Armaros will take over Mari, but by that point she had already severed Earth's link to the "Instrumentality cycle", so it(Armaros) at least won't be the surviving cast's problem anymore. A bit overly deus-ex-machina-y and convenient? Honestly, yeah. But by the time I got to this point I wasn't exactly expecting the story to suddenly have a conclusion that wrapped everything up cleanly.

Which on that subject of Anima as a whole, yeah it is a shame that Anima is so...decidedly not good. Because somewhere past all the jank prose, whack pacing, questionable planning (or lack thereof), inconsistent tone, descriptions of mechanical design that only appeal to people like me, ideas that maybe should've seen another pair of eyes (or several) before being approved and implemented, and just general vibe that it was all written in one draft/didn't have an editor, I do think there is a fun action adventure story featuring the cast of Eva. Like I liked some of the stuff Anima did in isolation, and I did have fun with it at times (and I do honestly think Yamashita was having fun with it. Which everything else about it aside, I can't fault him for that). But also yeah, I don't blame anyone who didn't like it because as a whole, it is a mess and is absolutely all over the place.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:08 pm

Mari is a gestalt entity with animals?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 pm

Something like that. That might not be the exact word they used to describe her, but Mari keeps mentioning her "pack" in reference to the animals she was hybridized with, saying that the animals themselves are "with" her. When this is first mentioned when she's introduced it's just dismissed as her being mentally unstable from all the genetic tampering. However during the battle in Volume 5, she absorbs some "lifeform data" from the Ark (the stuff that fused Asuka and Unit 02 into Crimson A1) to become part animal again and pilot Eva Wolfpack, and it seems that after that, if she wasn't really "one with her pack's 'souls'" before, she is by then.

Typing all that out really puts into perspective how ridiculous all of this sounds

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:30 am

Oh yeah, Anima definitely has some cool ideas that would have been better off elsewhere (and a fair share of them are, there's some stuff that was probably taken from early drafts of NTE); I've read once that Anima started out as Yamashita writing development history blurbs for modelling magazine builds, and while I have never been able to find a definitive source for or against that claim, if it actually were the case, it would make a lot of sense
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:25 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Oh yeah, Anima definitely has some cool ideas that would have been better off elsewhere (and a fair share of them are, there's some stuff that was probably taken from early drafts of NTE); I've read once that Anima started out as Yamashita writing development history blurbs for modelling magazine builds, and while I have never been able to find a definitive source for or against that claim, if it actually were the case, it would make a lot of sense

Personally I think that the most interesting parts of ANIMA are those that explore aspects of the original story that couldn't be explored due to ending with Third Impact, like the heroes having the opportunity to pick up their life after reaching their personal epiphany in a less traumatizing way than Instrumentality, or Rei having to face the question of "and now what?" since she didn't got to fuse back with Lilith as it was planned for her, the difficulties to completely eradicate an organization so powerful and entrenched in the spheres of power as SEELE, or also all the ramifications of the technologies stemming from Project E (the different Reis, or Mari being a mutant gestalt of animals), and the "deepest" lore of Eva that was only alluded to in the original story and only expanded in the NGE2 videogame, even though the one in ANIMA differs completely form the one in the original story, cementing its status as an alternate universe. (else you would had to come to the realization that soon after EoE, Armaros popped out and killed everyone for good before resetting the planet)
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:28 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Oh yeah, Anima definitely has some cool ideas that would have been better off elsewhere (and a fair share of them are, there's some stuff that was probably taken from early drafts of NTE)

Yeah that was kind of a funny thing I noticed. I first read Vol 5 back in December after rewatching Shin in theaters, and it was interesting to count all the small details that were shared between Anima and Rebuild (the Black Moon being shaped like an apple core, Shinji creating a new spear, Asuka activating a "dangerous forbidden technique" that would render her inhuman to try and turn the tide in the final battle (and separately, how both used the host of the 9th Angel/Bardiel as a last minute resort in said final battle), the Ayanami sisters going up to 6 and Rei Q being "Ayanami No. 6", etc). Which yeah they mostly likely were from Yamashita borrowing ideas from what they had of NTE at the time, though considering he continued working with Anno/Khara up to and including Shin, I kinda wonder if any of the ideas were actually originally Yamashita's that Anno repurposed for NTE. Also yeah if that is the case, I can see that being how Anima originated. The parts where the story pauses to exposit on the mechanics of the Evangelions' equipment and weapons or other machines like the Akashima or Touji's jet feel very much like flavor text blurbs you'd read in a guidebook or something lol.

Also yeah, I'd say Anima is at it's most fun(YMMV) when it's exploring what Evangelion could have been like if it was more like the action mecha show everyone expected it to be in the first half. Expanding on the vast worldbuilding that they hinted at throughout, and exploring the characters and their relationships when they're more stable and better adjusted are things I know a lot of people wanted out of the series. But NGE ultimately couldn't be that show because in the end, those aspects were merely set dressing for a story about exploring the complexities of the human condition at its most extreme. And I mean, I wouldn't trade that aspect of it for anything; it's what made the series so meaningful and powerful and is why it continues to be relevant now. But while the part of me that appreciates Eva for what is has to say (about human relationships, escapist fantasy, depression, etc) is content with that, the part of me that appreciates the series because I'm attached to the characters, their adventures, and their world does still want to see them reach a (diegetically) satisfying conclusion after all the hardships they go through.

Admittedly, Anima isn't that, but I do think it can be at least the starting point of it. Which is why I hope they do decide to adapt it one day, but more in a "loose/spiritual" adaptation way: take what worked, fix what didn't, cut out the stuff that nobody liked, integrate it all better, etc. Whether or not that's what'll actually happen is hard to say though (and probably unlikely, but who knows).
Last edited by MsenjaKagami on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:38 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Also yeah, I'd say Anima is at it's most fun(YMMV) when it's exploring what it would be like if Evangelion was more like the shows it was inspired by/was the show everyone thought it was going to be in the first half. Getting to expand on the worldbuilding that they hinted at and getting to explore the characters and their dynamics in a more stable, well adjusted state; things NGE couldn't do because, for it, they were primarily just a vessel to explore the complexities of the human condition at its most extreme.

I had to read that three times to get that sentence right, brain was still in warmup lol
It kinda has that vibe early on, yeah. First half of the first book is alright fun, my gripes with anima mostly come into play after that point :tongue:

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:32 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostMsenjaKagami#939016 wrote:Also yeah, I'd say Anima is at it's most fun(YMMV) when it's exploring what it would be like if Evangelion was more like the shows it was inspired by/was the show everyone thought it was going to be in the first half. Getting to expand on the worldbuilding that they hinted at and getting to explore the characters and their dynamics in a more stable, well adjusted state; things NGE couldn't do because, for it, they were primarily just a vessel to explore the complexities of the human condition at its most extreme.

I had to read that three times to get that sentence right, brain was still in warmup lol
It kinda has that vibe early on, yeah. First half of the first book is alright fun, my gripes with anima mostly come into play after that point :tongue:

Yeah my bad haha. Definitely should've spent more time proofreading that. Edited now so hopefully it makes more sense to anyone new who reads it.

Also again yeah, fair enough lol. I'll admit I was able to find some enjoyment in the rest of the series, but I absolutely understand why most others didn't.

On a different Anima related note though
SPOILER: Show
Volume 4:
"Being so close to you, to the Q.R. Signum powering the Super Eva, being able to protect your heart that's so far away...How should I put this... It makes me happy."
The statement startled Shinji. It sounded a lot like what he himself had said three years ago.

Original Japanese Text:
「碇クンにぴったりくっついて、碇クンの体スーパーエヴァのQRシグナム、そして碇クンの遠くの心臓を見守る役割ができたのが―なんて言うのかしら…嬉しかった?そう、嬉しかったの」
ハッとなった。
彼女の言葉がどこか、三年前にシンジ自身が口にした言葉に似ていたから。

Does anyone know what this line might be referring to/remember if Shinji had a line like this somewhere in the original series? Cause I assume this is referring to something Shinji said (presumably to Rei) during the events of the original show, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what that line could be.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:38 am

My gut tells me it might be referring to something said during the post-Ramiel rescue

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:45 am

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:54 pm

Yeah I was just going to post, lmao. Considering how much, uhhhhhhh, eccentric dialogue ANIMA has (like Asuka giving birth to Shinji?) I guess this will become a new meme goldmine, like her voicing Rei. Presumably this was done in commemoration of Asuka's birthday, and they will release the remaining volumes with time.

From her FB fan group:

SPOILER: Show

Video from Grant: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pksk7HrheFw

Seven Seas' site: https://sevenseasentertainment.com/2023 ... el-series/

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:48 pm

A audio book is good and all but damn...

I wish that ANIMA get a freaking animated adaptation...

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:59 am

Please the fuck not. Anima does not deserve to bind that amount of money and ressources. Just do an Iconic Field OVA instead, or honestly literally any other project, it's functionally guaranteed to be better

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:35 am

I know that ANIMA have its big amounts of flaws but still I want the animated adaptation. I'm want see Armaros, the Evolutions of Eva 01 and the interactions between the 17 years old Asuka and Shinji be animated.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:11 pm

I wouldn't mind that in the context of a oneoff 20 minute highlight reel OVA or something; but a full animation project is going to be a massive amount of work, and even assuming that you completely ruin the pacing and jam pack the first two volumes in a feature length movie, you're still not going to see Armaros, because it only shows up from volume 3 if my memory at all serves me. An adaptation would be a massive project on the scale of NTE in terms of production ressources required to make it

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:34 am

Armaros appears already by Volume 1 from what I remember. You are right that a fully ANIMA's adaptation would be a too much big project but still I want it. Who knows maybe one day Khara and Neftlix could find a deal for make a multi-season ANIMA's adaptation but I know that this unlikely...

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:38 pm

...you're right, it did. Must have blanked that from my mind.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:18 am

Nah you know what they should do: make an action adventure mecha game based on Anima. The action scenes are quite possibly the only thing in Anima that they could get a wider audience interested in (ain't no one except crazy people like me are gonna be interested in the story, and if they somehow are they can just read Anima), so they should just lean hard into that and make that the focus of the game with the rest of the story just being loosely adapted as cutscenes (or just skippable mission blurbs if they really dont want anything to do with the rest of the story)

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:45 am

@ Msenja Kagami I like this idea. Honestly I'm afraid that we aren't get even a ANIMA's game cause I think that ANIMA should be much more popular for get a game completely dedicated to it but however is a good idea. I wish it would be possible.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”