"Evangelion Beyond" stage play

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

"Evangelion Beyond" stage play

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:30 pm

This one seems to have flown under the radar of pretty much everyone, as I just found that they're doing an Eva stage play.

As reported on ANN: 1; 2

The staff for Evangelion Beyond, the stage play for the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise, revealed on Thursday that the stage play will tell an original story, set on an Earth that is on the brink of ruin following a long period of unchecked development and strife. The Evangelion units, piloted by 14-year-old children, and operating under the supreme commander of the special agency Mensch, are humanity's last hope to find a powerful new energy source. The Evas struggle against Ikimono, giant creatures that appear from underground.

The building stands on the former site of Shinjuku Milano-za, a theater that screened the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth recompilation film. Footage of theatergoers was famously used as part of a climactic scene in the following Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion film.

This might seem odd to some, but there is a reasonable number of big-name anime franchises that spawn plays like these. Just last year I almost attended a Death Note play which was done in many countries, though that one was apparently just adapting the manga/anime plot. This one includes...

Masataka Kubota as Sо̄shi Watamori
Shizuka Ishibashi as Yū Mizuho
Nijirō Murakami as Tan Hasumi
Tetsushi Tanaka as Masatsugu Sogо̄

Obviously, these characters aren't part of NGE or NTE canon (thus far?). I have a feeling it'd be one of those projects much like the AnimatorExpo ones, like how we had IMPACTS, which featured otherwise anonymous Tokyo 3 students.

Official site

And Comic Natalie has a synopsis, DeepL'd below:

The "Stage Evangelion Beyond" will be performed from May 6 to 28 at the new theater, THEATER MILANO-Za, which will open in the Tokyu Kabukicho Tower in Tokyo. On the earth, where the oceans and land have been polluted by uncontrolled development and conflicts, and the devastation is catastrophic, there are people living together in settlements called "dorfs". Soushi Watamori, a young man born and raised in Aerde, one of the dorfs, uses Evangelion to excavate the depths of the earth to find new high-energy resources under the command of Masatsugu Sugo, the supreme commander of the special agency Mensch. However, a huge unidentified creature called "Ikimono" appears at the bottom of the earth. Watamori intercepts the creature with his Eva and manages to trap it underground, but six months later, the creature reappears.

Kubota plays the role of Watamori Soushi, the leader of Airde, who is mainly in charge of matters related to energy resources. Shizuka Ishibashi plays Yu Mizuho, Mensch's senior dorf officer; Nijiro Murakami plays Tan Hasumi, the last boy to join the Evangelion pilot team; and Tetsushi Tanaka plays Masatsugu Sugo, Mensch's top commander. The cast also includes Takahito Nagata, Akane Sakanoue, Kanna Murata, and Kyoko Miyashita.

I kinda have to wonder if this is parody, because as we all know, Gehirn = Brain, Nerv = Nerve, Seele = Soul, Wille = Will... and Mensch = Man/People. It's like a Pixar movie.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: "Evangelion Beyond" stage play

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:11 pm

I knew about the play, but the synopsis is new to me.
Surprised that it's a new story.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:14 pm

I don't know if this is a parody or not, but I believe that we can no say with confidence the Gundamization of the Eva franchise that Anno talked about a few years ago is now coming to fruition. I have to admit, however, that I didn't expect it to begin with a stage play.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:05 pm

I am cautiously optimistic. If this is good and has good reception, this might be exactly what Eva needs as a franchise to not suffer the same fate as the likes of Getter and keep recycling characters until it fades into irrelevancy.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I don't know if this is a parody or not, but I believe that we can no say with confidence the Gundamization of the Eva franchise that Anno talked about a few years ago is now coming to fruition. I have to admit, however, that I didn't expect it to begin with a stage play.

Gundam 00 had a stage play adaptation that used a mobile platform as the cockpits and they used little weapons to fight. It was pretty cool. Mizushima even made alterations to the story and had ebikawa make new gundam designs that never existed in this continuity. Pretty cool stuff.

https://youtu.be/hyajwDqrgGM

And since I didnt see any lyricist mentioned, I guess it wont have singing involved like other stage play adaptstions usually have. Quite a shame, could be another product for king records to sell.

And the big question: will they film the performance and release it or not? Even if they do, I really doubt anyone will translate it. These type of content usually gets ignored hard by even greater fandoms.

Blockio wrote:I am cautiously optimistic. If this is good and has good reception, this might be exactly what Eva needs as a franchise to not suffer the same fate as the likes of Getter and keep recycling characters until it fades into irrelevancy.

That never happened with getter at all.

The only moment where getter was in a limbo was between the 70's and the 90's (Ishikawa was busy doing other manga), and toei had this reboot idea of mazinger z that turned into getter robo go. After that it always get a new iteration with new original characters or new content. (It still awes me how shin change getter robo gets news stuff 20 years after its release) the new metal build looks awesome

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:07 pm

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:
View Original PostBlockio wrote:I am cautiously optimistic. If this is good and has good reception, this might be exactly what Eva needs as a franchise to not suffer the same fate as the likes of Getter and keep recycling characters until it fades into irrelevancy.

The only moment where getter was in a limbo was between the 70's and the 90's (Ishikawa was busy doing other manga), and toei had this reboot idea of mazinger z that turned into getter robo go. After that it always get a new iteration with new original characters or new content. (It still awes me how shin change getter robo gets news stuff 20 years after its release) the new metal build looks awesome

Shin vs Neo, New, even Armageddon (which for the record I greatly enjoyed); Getter, even when supposedly doing something new and no strings attached still keeps obsessively cycling back to pandering to the OG show; and after Arc turned out to be as shit as it was, I am pretty confident that it's gonna be the last animated thing that Getter will have in the forseeable future (not to mention that apart from Armageddon, every piece of animated Getter I have seen kinda sucked, which according to everyone I ever talked to who wasn't up in the Go Nagai fanboy kool-aid up to their neck has assured me is a running theme for all of them, in no small part because of its incestuous relationship with the original)
Even Nadesico, a franchise that utterly died 20 years ago, still gets the occasional merch release; the fact that there's still a figure made every now and then doesn't mean that the franchise itself is alive.

But to bring this back to the actual topic: This is a good step. Cycling back to the same characters over and over again is not a viable strategy for a franchise that was intended to tell a story with a start and end instead of endless comicbook runs, and a trend that I am very glad to see Eva finally break after dozens of spinoff titles whose only relation to Eva was the lookalike characters.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:05 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I am cautiously optimistic. If this is good and has good reception, this might be exactly what Eva needs as a franchise to not suffer the same fate as the likes of Getter and keep recycling characters until it fades into irrelevancy.

Honestly, I doubt a good or bad reception of this stage play will influence the franchise in the future.

A stage play is a pretty small concept. It is mainly a supplement to a main material.

It is also important to mention that stage plays are mainly aimed at a female audience. Instead, mecha anime (like Evangelion) tend to appeal primarily to a male audience.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:02 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:A stage play is a pretty small concept. It is mainly a supplement to a main material.

That's a thing where Japan differs quite a bit from English-speaking countries; stage productions are a fairly prestiguous thing that not a ton of franchises get in the first place.

It is also important to mention that stage plays are mainly aimed at a female audience. Instead, mecha anime (like Evangelion) tend to appeal primarily to a male audience.

???
That is probably the worst take I have seen on the internet this week. For one, still a different culture, for second, not at all how that one works even outside of Japan. The fact that you think that stage plays are by enlarge not interesting to men honestly says more about you than it says about anyone else.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:21 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:by enlarge

That's "by and large".

It's worth noting that in a poll done a few years back, men opted more for cute girl anime, and women for mecha titles, mostly on the strength of bishonen pilots (Gundam Wing being the obvious exemplar here).

One can also remark that Utena had a stage play decades ago; and scanning lists on the internet of anime stage plays, there is a perceptible target audience bias in the (when you know who the audiences are -- Demon Slayer having a majority female audience, despite being packaged as a battle shonen, for example).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:04 pm

Hah, and I wrote "to have flew under the radar".

I was generally under the impression that they were going to keep the characters for future installments since Eva is generally more about characters and theme than the setting and the giant robots, I mean, Evas, unlike Gundam. But I don't know much about about Getter Robo and why it did or didn't work. In the 1.0 CRC Anno in fact used a comparison with both Gundam and Macross.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:That's a thing where Japan differs quite a bit from English-speaking countries; stage productions are a fairly prestiguous thing that not a ton of franchises get in the first place.

I don't think they are so important for the franchises.

There are many anime with stage plays (Digimon Adventure, Prince of Tennis, Saint Seiya, Tokyo Revengers, between many others), but these are something small and doesn't really influence the franchise.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:???
That is probably the worst take I have seen on the internet this week. For one, still a different culture, for second, not at all how that one works even outside of Japan. The fact that you think that stage plays are by enlarge not interesting to men honestly says more about you than it says about anyone else.

I don't know what it says about me, but stage plays being directed mainly to a female audience isn't an opinion.

These stage plays tend to be based on anime with a large or majority female audience. I also know of people who have gone to these stage plays and commented that the majority of the audience is female.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:18 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I don't know what it says about me, but stage plays being directed mainly to a female audience isn't an opinion.

Well, let's break this one down, shall we?
1) Yes, there's generally more women than men watching theater; between 55% to 70% according to the only source I could find on a cursory search, so even at its highest not nearly as large a divide as you paint it to be, and at it's lowest barely a relevant difference.
2) The fact that you more or less completely brush aside the importance of female audiences to mecha betrays your utter lack of understanding of its history. To pick a particularily high profile example - Gundam, both in its original run and during Seed when the franchise was back on tougher times - was primarily a success not because of the male audience members liking the robots but because of the female audience members liking the characters (both of these obviously being generalizations, there were lots that didn't fall into those categories, but as a general trend, it holds)
3) Being this broadly dismissive of an entire demographic, especially paired with such a smugly elitist undertone is a pretty bad look - hence "says more about you than it says about anyone else"
4) You are coming at this from the perspective of not an Eva production that happens to be a stage play, you are coming at it from the perspective of a stage play that happens to be Eva. People are not going to watch this because it is a stage play, they are going to watch this because it is Eva, in the same way that most people who will meet at a live concert will be there because they like the band that's playing, not because they've been craving the experience of a live concert (the latter definitely does exist, as will people who watch stage plays because they are stage plays, but they are decidedly a minority)
5) Live shows are a MUCH bigger deal in Japan than they are outside of it; there are not few instances in which they are the go-to venue announcements for big projects and between attendance fees and selling substantial amounts of merch for a couple of properties that are not actively ongoing anymore beyond some spinoff material bring in quite a share of the franchise's revenue and publicity
6) I was talking about this setting a positive precedent for the franchise, not about this singlehandedly revolutionizing its audience perception. I am obviously under no illusion that a large amount of people will suddenly move away from the characters they know and like, but in order for this to exist, it needed to be signed off by khara, at this point in time presumably still by Anno himself among others. The fact that there is an officially licensed, decently budgeted Eva property that has no mention of the original cast will be a known factor to anyone who would write another entry that may or may not happen down the line, and it will have its ripple effect of oh, this is okay to do, I don't need to obsessively adhere to the established cast.

I'm not gonna crucify you for being doubtful of the imediate impact this might have, it may well be a thing that happens, gets a single dvd release and that's it, but it breaks what is far and away the most prominent and unhealthy pattern in Eva spinoffs, and the fact that it happens in a large production rather than being relegated to a b-list manga (as is unfortunately often the case with things that don't follow established franchise tropes) gives me hope.

Mr. Tines wrote:That's "by and large".

Mh, thanks for the correction. Must have picked that one up wrongly somewhere along the way

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:22 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:1) Yes, there's generally more women than men watching theater; between 55% to 70% according to the only source I could find on a cursory search, so even at its highest not nearly as large a divide as you paint it to be, and at it's lowest barely a relevant difference.

Honestly, I would be pretty surprised that the female audience of stage plays based on anime is only 55%.

I mean, the stage plays tend to choose anime with a strong or majority female audience (Evangelion is another example, since it has a big female audience).

View Original PostBlockio wrote:3) Being this broadly dismissive of an entire demographic, especially paired with such a smugly elitist undertone is a pretty bad look - hence "says more about you than it says about anyone else"

I wasn't being dismissive about a entire demographic. I just mentioned that the mecha genre tend to be created to appeal a male audience.

I know cases where the success in mecha anime is due to female audience (for example: Gundam Wing), but this doesn't tend to be intentional from the creators.

That's why I don't think Khara will take the success of the stage play so much in consideration for future plans of the franchise.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:23 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I wasn't being dismissive about a entire demographic. I just mentioned that the mecha genre tend to be created to appeal a male audience.

If that wasn't your intention, I apologize for my harsh tone; lately I've had to deal with more people than I'd like to who said that or similar things with that intention, must have made me a bit trigger-happy on the matter. Apologies for the crossed wires, that's on me.

As for the stage play; we can ultimately only wait and see. I shall remain optimistic until proven otherwise.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:09 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:The "Stage Evangelion Beyond" will be performed from May 6 to 28 at the new theater, THEATER MILANO-Za, which will open in the Tokyu Kabukicho Tower in Tokyo.

That play better end with a fistfight on the roof. :bat:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:50 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostRegistration2#938928 wrote:

Shin vs Neo, New, even Armageddon (which for the record I greatly enjoyed); Getter, even when supposedly doing something new and no strings attached still keeps obsessively cycling back to pandering to the OG show; and after Arc turned out to be as shit as it was, I am pretty confident that it's gonna be the last animated thing that Getter will have in the forseeable future (not to mention that apart from Armageddon, every piece of animated Getter I have seen kinda sucked, which according to everyone I ever talked to who wasn't up in the Go Nagai fanboy kool-aid up to their neck has assured me is a running theme for all of them, in no small part because of its incestuous relationship with the original).

All of these series are sort adapting the original stories in some way or another. Shin vs neo kinda adapts shin and go's character. New straight up is a reboot of the first manga and is mostly the closest one to the original first getter story. And shin change is a problem to discuss since it is a partial imagaea production (so all these ideas of complaining about returning to the original series is extrapolated since he basically does it even more to other ishikawa works ,in the same way he did with giant robo the animation and shin mazinger z: the impact later).

And Arc is a straight up adaptation with expanded stuff. The problem is that they change a cliffhanger ending that we had before for another cliffhanger ending with even more questions. And as you said, you probably never dis read the manga, but even as a decision to adapt it, I always found it strange since it is like adapting the final harry potter book without the context and build up of previous series (see Jin starting as a pilot then becoming a leader, then a scientist. Characters like Go and Sho growing up to slowly realize the horrors of getter rays and how something that started as a way to defend humanity grows into humanity most fearsome weapon against the other world.

And there are other Getters that goes beyond the original like Getter Robo High, Hien, Darkness. So getter never died in any way. I am a fan of dead franchises, I know the pain very well, even in the mecha realm to not even appear on SRW later editions.

Konja7 wrote:I don't know what it says about me, but stage plays being directed mainly to a female audience isn't an opinion.

Well, let's break this one down, shall we?
1) Yes, there's generally more women than men watching theater; between 55% to 70% according to the only source I could find on a cursory search, so even at its highest not nearly as large a divide as you paint it to be, and at it's lowest barely a relevant difference.
2) The fact that you more or less completely brush aside the importance of female audiences to mecha betrays your utter lack of understanding of its history. To pick a particularily high profile example - Gundam, both in its original run and during Seed when the franchise was back on tougher times - was primarily a success not because of the male audience members liking the robots but because of the female audience members liking the characters (both of these obviously being generalizations, there were lots that didn't fall into those categories, but as a general trend, it holds)
3) Being this broadly dismissive of an entire demographic, especially paired with such a smugly elitist undertone is a pretty bad look - hence "says more about you than it says about anyone else"
4) You are coming at this from the perspective of not an Eva production that happens to be a stage play, you are coming at it from the perspective of a stage play that happens to be Eva. People are not going to watch this because it is a stage play, they are going to watch this because it is Eva, in the same way that most people who will meet at a live concert will be there because they like the band that's playing, not because they've been craving the experience of a live concert (the latter definitely does exist, as will people who watch stage plays because they are stage plays, but they are decidedly a minority)
5) Live shows are a MUCH bigger deal in Japan than they are outside of it; there are not few instances in which they are the go-to venue announcements for big projects and between attendance fees and selling substantial amounts of merch for a couple of properties that are not actively ongoing anymore beyond some spinoff material bring in quite a share of the franchise's revenue and publicity
6) I was talking about this setting a positive precedent for the franchise, not about this singlehandedly revolutionizing its audience perception. I am obviously under no illusion that a large amount of people will suddenly move away from the characters they know and like, but in order for this to exist, it needed to be signed off by khara, at this point in time presumably still by Anno himself among others. The fact that there is an officially licensed, decently budgeted Eva property that has no mention of the original cast will be a known factor to anyone who would write another entry that may or may not happen down the line, and it will have its ripple effect of oh, this is okay to do, I don't need to obsessively adhere to the established cast.

I'm not gonna crucify you for being doubtful of the imediate impact this might have, it may well be a thing that happens, gets a single dvd release and that's it, but it breaks what is far and away the most prominent and unhealthy pattern in Eva spinoffs, and the fact that it happens in a large production rather than being relegated to a b-list manga (as is unfortunately often the case with things that don't follow established franchise tropes) gives me hope.

Mr. Tines wrote:That's "by and large".

Mh, thanks for the correction. Must have picked that one up wrongly somewhere along the way

Female audience is their target at stage play adaptations of anime stuff. This isn't an opnion, it is straight up a fact. You just have to watch one and see the ocasional screaming at scenes straight up made for them (fan service). Even the ones I watched it was because it was adapting a story that I liked, not because the stage play itself. Something that is different from stage play otakus that follow actors in the sane way of idols, where they will watch the play to watch them, buy merchandising and so on. The lines sometimes touch but they are really different demographics of fans.

And about gundam: you are wrong.

You are using both examples that doesnt apply because they are peak points. At peak, everything is going to be successful. So using seed for example: it did sell lots of music cds, lots of dvds and character merchandising. But who is the main sponsor? Bandai. And the seed gunpla did not sell that well (to the point where fukuda did change the story for Dearka to show up more to boost buster gundam sales). You could make bank in a way that is totally different than expected (this became a problem after seed because the character merchandise wasnt that strong depending of the series and later series tried to course correct into expading the area of coverage (for example after build series, we have characters plastic models).

And still even after that, the oriented target is still the male oriented audience. The driving force is still gunpla just like it was back in the 80s boom. Dont use a single example that deviates from the norm. And just like you said: ''when the franchise was back on tougher times'', who do you think it was there buying gundam x, turn a, sd gundam gunpla? The male audience. Using peaks to defend this point is just dumb.

Even on evangelion, there is this difference between different types of fans that can go one way or another. There are things that makes me wonder and love like the single line near left unit-00 eye, the red markings of unit-01 eyes or the colors and format of the emblems in evangelions arms. And there are the fans that know how many hairs Shinji forehead have, know to identify who draw each kaworu just by the style of the hair. The thing about eva is that the lines are blurrier between demographics. I have no doubt that armored core has a bigger male audience than female. Or the people that like votoms is mostly male. But how about escaflowne? Or five star stories? It blurs. But gundam, there is no doubt about it. On

"People are not going to watch this because it is a stage play, they are going to watch this because it is Eva"

And this is where you dont understand the fandom of stage play otakus. There are two lines. They can be paralels, but sometimes they cross each other, this is a moment like this. Even at the official website, the picture of it is straight up the actors face and their comments. They are the stars, their fans will watch then regardless of the work. But what can we expect from an evangelion forum to not expect that evangelion isnt the focus for all? Go to their official website, look around there, do you really think this is the same target public as the normal evangelion fan? Do you really think so?

And lets not forget the play is initially part of a bigger project of the Kabukicho tower. A single place mostly focused limited time event that will happen there like the hotel and the yoko show.

The play is the only aspect of the whole event that will leave this area and go for other venues, giving opportunity for other people to attend outside of tokyo.

The fact is that this project is totally different from something like SJHU, it isnt something new by other multimedia franchises, but for evangelion who is always lacking behind this aspect, this is a good news, even outside of the original story it is presented. Even if it was straight up adaptation it would be good for it to exist since there are lots of media that evangelion doesnt cover very well.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:16 am

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:You are using both examples that doesnt apply because they are peak points. At peak, everything is going to be successful. So using seed for example: it did sell lots of music cds, lots of dvds and character merchandising. But who is the main sponsor? Bandai. And the seed gunpla did not sell that well (to the point where fukuda did change the story for Dearka to show up more to boost buster gundam sales). You could make bank in a way that is totally different than expected (this became a problem after seed because the character merchandise wasnt that strong depending of the series and later series tried to course correct into expading the area of coverage (for example after build series, we have characters plastic models).

And still even after that, the oriented target is still the male oriented audience. The driving force is still gunpla just like it was back in the 80s boom. Dont use a single example that deviates from the norm. And just like you said: ''when the franchise was back on tougher times'', who do you think it was there buying gundam x, turn a, sd gundam gunpla? The male audience. Using peaks to defend this point is just dumb.

Yeah. There are mecha anime with a strong or even majority female audience, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in the mecha aspect among this audience.

This is an issue, because the mecha merchandise is one of the main things the sponsors want to sell. Of course, mecha anime can be very profitable selling other kind of merchandise (like characters merchandise) too, but they wouldn't want the mecha merchandise to have underperforming sales.

That's likely the reason why it's uncommon to have mecha anime mainly aimed to woman.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:10 am

View Original PostRegistration2#939067 wrote: who do you think it was there buying gundam x, turn a, sd gundam gunpla? The male audience. Using peaks to defend this point is just dumb.

Barely anyone, those shows did extremely poorly. Lemostr00, if you're gonna accuse me of not knowing my shit or arguing in bad faith using cherrypicked examples, it's really fucking rich to use two of the worst performing shows as an example yourself; the commercial failure of X and Turn A was the very reason why Gundam as a franchise was on tough times when Seed was released.

And you know that fact as well as I do, since your damn pfp on the Gundam wiki was the Turn A concept that got turned into the Sumo before you got your ass banned there for pulling the same toxic shit there that you are pulling here, so I will not look the other way if you are using your knowledge of the franchise to gaslight people in hopes that they don't have the experience to contest you. The only reason you are still on this forum in the first place is because your bullshit was primarily aimed at myself and other staff; had you tried to pull even a fraction of the assholery that you do on wiki discussions or Reddit towards any normal user, you would have been long gone, so consider this the final, most clearly worded warning you are going to get: Your elitism and toxic attitude is not welcome here. If you wish to remain a contributing member of EGF, shape up.

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:48 am

View Original PostRegistration2#939067#939070 wrote: who do you think it was there buying gundam x, turn a, sd gundam gunpla? The male audience. Using peaks to defend this point is just dumb.

Barely anyone, those shows did extremely poorly. Lemostr00, if you're gonna accuse me of not knowing my shit or arguing in bad faith using cherrypicked examples, it's really fucking rich to use two of the worst performing shows as an example yourself; the commercial failure of X and Turn A was the very reason why Gundam as a franchise was on tough times when Seed was released.

And you know that fact as well as I do, since your damn pfp on the Gundam wiki was the Turn A concept that got turned into the Sumo before you got your ass banned there for pulling the same toxic shit there that you are pulling here, so I will not look the other way if you are using your knowledge of the franchise to gaslight people in hopes that they don't have the experience to contest you. The only reason you are still on this forum in the first place is because your bullshit was primarily aimed at myself and other staff; had you tried to pull even a fraction of the assholery that you do on wiki discussions or Reddit towards any normal user, you would have been long gone, so consider this the final, most clearly worded warning you are going to get: Your elitism and toxic attitude is not welcome here. If you wish to remain a contributing member of EGF, shape up.

You are ignoring the point of my argument.

Gundam x and turn a were underperforming in comparisson to g and w but not near close to end gundam whole existence, its been a long time since no gundam series as bad as it can perform can end in a catastroph to end all gundam related projects. Gundam X did badly on TV ratings, but it wasnt a failure in other aspects like the story itself and other related projects: it was still released as laser disc and vhs. It got a sequel manga in 2004 (which was even expanded from the initial premisse), it got a new sequel manga alongside the blu ray box and the manga was reissued some years ago. Gundam x failed on TV ratings and was cut short. That was the failure. The gunpla did under perform too but that was expected since the designs arent very interesting.

Now turn a was a comemorative series. It was part of the Big Bang Project, to celebrate the 20 years of gundam. The reigns were looser to other series and more creative freedom was given to the staff and we got Turn A. The ratings and gunpla did not perform as well as g or w again but even then, for a failure of a project to get a cinematic movie project as a duology right in 2002 to be a failure? Nah that isnt.

And nor I and you did really bring it up since I think it is also a commemorative project and also a media mix project and somewhat different from the gundam project as a whole in the same vein this stage play is.

What failure really means in Gundam: G-Saviour. A multi media project that was swiftly ignored in all senses, even in the 40th anniversary book there wasnt a single mention of it. This is what failure means, to disregard and forget it completely. X and Turn A arent those. It was underperfoming but when the context is GUNDAM, this underperfoming could still be successful compared to other series, because the name is too big.

And how do you get this underperforming but still buying audience? By having a core fanbase, who in this case is the plastic model community (even people who dont even watch gundam bit still buy plastic models). Gundam has since the 80s this fanbase (who unlike you said before with the gundam female audience, still stick up after the 80s plastic model boom, who even helped finance other sunrise mecha series like Ideon or Xabungle), this core audience isnt barely anyone like you said, because you dont count on long sustenance after peaks, you count on the core audience who follows your overall work, not a single piece of work that was successful.

Lets use evangelion as example. Back in the 90's there were 2 theatrical movies for evangelion: death and rebirth and end. These two movies had the X people going to watch it on cinemas. But decades later we had Shin Evangelion, who had 10X people watching it on cinema. You dont pick the 10x number and use it as example of how evangelion is able to make 10x with any movie work after it. We dont know and in the past they didnt know.

Another more clear example: star wars.

The sequel trilogy, the first movie was a gigantic success and with each movie less people attended to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

Prequel trilogy started strong, fell off but then got stronger in the third.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_prequel_trilogy

Do you understand how the core audience is basically the ones who went and watched all 3 movies regardless of what? I wasnt the core audience of the sequel trilogy, I only watched the first one, for disney to count me as part of the TRILOGY movie audience because I watched the first would be wrong, I didnt consumed other star wars movie after that, for disney I dont exist past little part of their first sequel movie audience.

But just like gundam, does that mean that star wars sequel trilogy was a failure in financial aspects? No, not at all. They did underperform in comparisson with their peak but still did perform well in comparisson with other movies areleased around the same time.

So after all these explanations, do you understand why you dont pick peaks as examples for ANYTHING? They are outliers in their own context. Gundam seed was an outlier for Gundam, no other gundam series since then came close to what it did, if you dont analyze and contextualize their place, you dont understand their success. The context matters a lot to explain, even in evangelion movie series (years between the third and last).

But enough talking about gundam here. (Funny that you dont even commented about SD Gundam that I brought it up, I would love to talk how having two gunpla lines at the same time can cannibalize each other, that was the case with sd gundam vs victory gundam gunpla in the early 90's. Of course, to say that SD gundam is a failure would be the most stupid thing ever to read, it is all about context in the end)

And since you ignored my whole comment, what else can I reply? Do you have a type of persecution complex? Why are you accusing me to be a random person on outside the forum and bringing up stuff that I have no clue of what is it about? Go argue with that dude if you have problems, but dont use me as his proxy.

And funny for you to say that I am toxic when in this own thread you said shit to Konja7 (he was totally right, mecha genre is male oriented, the only example I can think of it Rayearth manga), yes you apologized, but are you going to be agressive-passive then apologize, is this a pattern for you? I dont pay attention to who I reply, I dont save name of users in my mind (and if I did, it would be really dumb to pick up fights with moderators of all people). If it is an admin or moderator, I dont care. But since you are one, bring it up examples of me being a cunt here. I want to see it myself, since from my perspective you are a paranoid who accuses users from being people from outside the forum, when you cant refute what they say.

And lets be clear: the only user that you can "accuse" me for being is the user Registration (wow, what a surprise), since I lost the password and I used a throwaway e-mail, and this was cleared it up on private messages with other admin.

So please respond to my previous whole argument instead of using me as target for your virtual battles outside the forum.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:07 am

Got a main visual
SPOILER: Show

And also new article on it:
https://news.mixi.jp/view_news.pl?media_id=54&from=voice&id=7355030
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller