Shin Kamen Rider

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Shin Kamen Rider

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:52 am

I’m excited for this film, and I’ve never even seen a Kamen Rider.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:22 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I’m excited for this film, and I’ve never even seen a Kamen Rider.

Same. I'm incredibly excited for this and Shin Ultraman simply because of Anno's involvement.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 am

You can watch the first episode of the OG series here:
https://youtu.be/9y56V0RHYOg
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:30 am

Shin Kamen Rider got two slightly different trailers.

https://youtu.be/xdxFwUqKc-A

https://youtu.be/R2Xi85vmSfc
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:35 am

I like the music.

Edit: Supposedly the trailer(s?) are a pretty direct recreation of the original Kamen Rider OP.

There's also this promotion still:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:10 pm

Yeah they're almost but not quite shot for shot remakes of the opening. So this isn't necessarily indicative of what the film is like, and was maybe just used to showcase the gear.
But it seems the Spiderman villain from episode 1 is back. So this is very throwbackish right now.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:23 am

8,000 superhero movies are being released between now and March 2023 and somehow this is my most anticipated of them all. I love how colorful it is.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:52 pm

Evil organization Shocker took over the film's twitter.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 12, 2022 10:12 pm

Shin Ultraman came with a new trailer for Hideaki Anno's Shin Kamen Rider and the film's twitter account released it online. Looks sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40IUnxsgls&t

Also, the film's twitter account released an ENGLISH poster which bodes well for an international release:

The designer crew is a lot of Eva regulars but would love to know who the cinematographer is. Biggest surprise is Shiro Sagisu is NOT doing the score for Shin Kamen Rider. It will be done by Taku Iwasaki who did the musical score for Gurren Lagann.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Thu May 12, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm

It looks lit!!! More hyped for this than Ultraman tbh. Also, Anno sure loves his train tracks.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Fri May 13, 2022 1:47 pm

Knowing next to nothing about Kamen Rider, that trailer rocks. Really hope that this gets a Western release, or at least an announcement next year. Not knowing when we'll get Shin Ultraman outside of Japan is a real drag!
we are many, but you are alone

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 13, 2022 3:38 pm

Sharpe wrote:Really hope that this gets a Western release, or at least an announcement next year.

When Toei announced the film last year they made several mentions of the film having a "simultaneous global release" and even Variety when they covered the announcement made a mention of the film getting a "day-and-date release. With the new poster being all in English that's a promising sign they're still focused on the international audience!
Maybe a theatrical release with limited runs to screenings in other major countries? Maybe theatrical in Japan and streaming everywhere else?

Old Variety Article:
https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/toei-kamen-rider-anniversary-projects-1234944714/

With any luck that March 2023 will be when most everyone can see it.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:09 am

Ok, I don't have the Shin Godzilla blu-ray yet, I have some serious issues with what Crunchyroll did to it, I do plan on getting it eventually because I'm just too weak, lol. I was thinking though, the company that provides the chemicals used at the end is the evil corporation "Smart Brain" from Kamen Rider 555 right? I was wondering if that would be an indication his new Kamen Rider film wouldn't exist solely within the original's universe?

Do you think any heisei, or reiwa, era Kamen Rider information would just be a reference like Smart Brain? Or could it be important to the plot? There's been so many that I feel it might be interesting. There's a few more explicit Kamen Rider Black references in Eva TV but Amazon is also making a new Black TV show so they might not want to be confusing with that.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:33 pm

It seems the crossover merchandise has started. Characters wearing SHOCKER -like uniforms

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... der-tie-in

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Kamen Rider doesn't turn himself into a giant, right ? I'm only very loosely familiar with the character...
If so this will be interesting because both Godzilla and Ultraman relied much on the appeal of how Anno and co illustrate scale, that was a huge part of their production value. Excited for a release this year though.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:36 am

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:Kamen Rider doesn't turn himself into a giant, right ? I'm only very loosely familiar with the character...
If so this will be interesting because both Godzilla and Ultraman relied much on the appeal of how Anno and co illustrate scale, that was a huge part of their production value. Excited for a release this year though.

No, Kamen Rider Decade did once but it was in a special. If you're not familiar with Kamen Rider it completely resets every year like Power Rangers. Seeing how Shin Ultraman only concerned itself with Ultraman I doubt they'd look at some other iteration for inspiration. The shows are so different and incompatible when they do anniversaries they will frequently replace actors and say they're from another universe or even imply completely different endings were canon, lol.

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:58 am

Thanks !
I see a central conceit is that the hero's powers are given to him by the evil organization he ends up fighting, I'm down for more evil councils in shadows.

They're going to circle back to Shin Spider-Man !

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:13 pm

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:Thanks !
I see a central conceit is that the hero's powers are given to him by the evil organization he ends up fighting, I'm down for more evil councils in shadows.

They're going to circle back to Shin Spider-Man !

Seele has a lot of similarities to the evil organization in Kamen Rider Black actually!

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:34 pm

Vague Faceless Council of Evilness (be it alien or powers that be) that loves to plot in poorly lit room seems to be a favorite trope of 60-70s, including in Japanese pop culture.

Saw there's one in Shoujo Commando Izumi and I think it's pretty reminiscent of things you could see in some Gerry Anderson production or James Bond, to name a few.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:59 pm

Kind of weird that we don't have a release date yet. The film comes out next month.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”