FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Squaretoblue
Embryo

Re: FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

•      
  •      

Postby Squaretoblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:09 pm

View Original Postc0l0rbl1ndn355 wrote:Behold! After spending most of the night reading through the entirety of this thread (man this goes back far!), I have concluded that one amazing fanfic has not been recommended:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11858988/1/Unravel

Of course, it's been out since Mar 2016, and it has just recently been updated on Sept 2021. I'm pretty sure the main pairing is Shinji/Mari (however, I'm not known for being quite smart). The word count is currently 734,563 (54 chapters). Anyways, here's a summary.

"Shinji rejected Instrumentality, but he made so many mistakes. He has one last chance to set things right, to unravel everything and save what matters. A retelling or altering of the series, an altered version of Shinji with an altered past. Life takes a different path, but do all paths lead to the same destination? Is Shinji doomed to never know happiness?"

I agree it's a great story, I've been keeping up with it since 2016.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:05 am

Oh, the joy of smashing canons together.

SPOILER: Show

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:58 am

It's funny that Evangelion has like maybe 5% of the material as Marvel, yet the amount of research and discussion that goes into it feels a lot more comprehensive than Marvel lore.

Something tells me that, when I can start a-readin', Imma be like the Leo DiCaprio pointing meme.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Oh, believe me I'm doing some deep cuts for this.

This is my third pass at trying this. Last time around I set rules, primarily that I'd follow the Marvel Comics "timeline", meaning characters would appear/have appeared in the world around the time their comics debuted and important events would happen around the same time, so Spider-Man would appear on the scene in 1964, Gwen Stacy would die in 1974, etc, and anything that had ever appeared in a Marvel comic would be fair game for inclusion in the fusion. (Doing it this way kind of works internally for a while because the writers kept things fairly tidy in terms of comic time vs real world time until all of these characters had to stop aging)

It's actually really hard to make that work because of the ages of everyone involved in Eva and the two universes being separated by about thirty or forty years for various events to take place.

This time I'm being much more liberal with the rules and timelines, since a recent D+ series gave me a perfect excuse to screw with the timeline and change what happened to who and when, but this time those rules are just suggestions.

Last go around some readers complained that I put too much emphasis on Hikari, but... I like Hikari. She's always getting promoted to a lead in a story I write, lol

c0l0rbl1ndn355
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby c0l0rbl1ndn355 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:48 pm

so..uh..crack

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1746319/1/What-We-Make-of-It

one of the more...interesting../ones i have read
Fears, tell me fears, don't get me started (I might die).
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:47 pm

I just read Evangelion: Rebuild Shinji’s choice by Chucky117. I haven’t finished it yet, but I thought it was good so far. You can find it here: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13965332/1/E ... aNycGzNB9E

This is basically Shinji choosing to pilot EVA unit 03 instead of Asuka doing it. And it’s set in the Rebuid universe, so you can expect Shikinami in this. And this takes an interesting take on reasoning behind the creation of the Shikinami series of clones, and why the original Asuka was cloned to begin with.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 pm

I've been reading that too a few weeks ago.
I'm pretty sure the Item that was installed into the Dummy Plug is Shinji's brain.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:24 pm

I made a thing

[AO3] [FFNet] [Official playlist]

Sort of an experimental 'I did it on a whim' thing, but so long as it helps to remedy the atrocious lack of Rei content as of late...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:30 am

I'd recommend the recently published Phoenix Rising by CaptainBardiel. It's one 60,000 word chapter, so it's already complete. If you like Ghosts of Evangelion, this has some similar themes and like GoE this is a slow burn LAS with healing, personal growth, etc in a post-angel world.

This is a rewrite/edit of the original work from 20 years ago by Red Horseman, if I understand correctly. I found someone in this thread asking for a copy ten years ago.

Does contain an adult scene at the end, fyi
https://archiveofourown.org/works/36801133

John Spangler
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby John Spangler » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:49 am

Can someone please recommend me some good NGE zombie apocalypse fic?

Martyr Mcjones22
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Martyr Mcjones22 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:26 am

I was going to check out some archived fanfiction lemon to get busy went on tuxedojack archive on wayback and they are all dead there because it looks like someone bought tuxedojack and placed an embedded starcraft 2 video called "Hell, It's about time" weird... Whatever the good writings are archived and saved in other places.

Martyr Mcjones22
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Martyr Mcjones22 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:07 am

Has there been any recent at least okay non-shipping stories? Not a fan of shipping stories there are some okay ones but it is of course the lazy way out of writing stories for Evangelion, short-dark stories have intrigued me 1000 times more than a shipping story. Long fanfiction stories are not that good for Evangelion I haven't really seen even a few stories that are long and decent... well because evangelion is near impossible to go against canon believably. Majority of fanfiction is from Shinji's perspective and Shinji is a powerless and weak character, he is always going to be behind, outplayed, and used by those around him unless you make him OOC. Nobody knows how to really get away from the canon... Short stories are what shine of course, because I can believe that a drunk Katsuragi and Shinji can stumble into watching a western from the 60's it's not inconceivable that Shinji will be curious and get drunk or something...

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:05 pm

...for what it's worth, I do have an ongoing longfic that's fully AU and isn't shippy either,
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:30 pm

I think I have a few recommendations I can give.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Rise of the Minisukas by Blackunknown. I find that one pretty hilarious.
It started with Shinji and his battle against Sachiel. While he was down, two mini versions of Asuka appeared before him, one resembling Soryu in her plugsuit and the other resembling Shikinami(complete with hat and eyepatch). And then a horde of them showed up to take down the angel. This fic gets weirder and more absurd each time in an entertaining way.

The 2nd Try: Short Stories and Aki-Chan’s Adventures by B123. Both of those stories are based on The 2nd Try and Aki- Chan’s life by JimmyWolk and tells some untold tales of the lives of Shinji and Asuka and their daughter Aki. I just find both them adorable, much like Jimmy’s original work.

Windup Heart: an Evangelion fanfic by Telegraph Nine.
In this fic, Shinji becomes fatally injured during the fight against the eighth angel, and as a result
Gendo orders Ritsuko to transfer Shinji’s soul into a Rei clone, and becomes designated as the Fourth Child
. I haven’t finished it yet, so I might need to do that.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:00 am

View Original PostJohn Spangler wrote:Can someone please recommend me some good NGE zombie apocalypse fic?

Zentrodie under his other pseudonym did this really good one, I think it was called the end of the beginning or beginning of the end, or some variation of that.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:16 pm

Been getting back into reading fanfic over the past month. Admittedly most of the new ones I've read (as in hadn't read before, not that they're newly published) were pretty hit or miss. A couple did scratch the itch I needed scratched, but overall many of them were lackluster. That said, there were two that definitely were "hits" in my opinion, and honestly I'm surprised I haven't seen them discussed anywhere, especially considering their author (though neither of them take a turn into Darkfic or tragedy so maybe that's why)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13325040/1/Patient by Adam Kadmon

Normal world AU Rei POV oneshot. Short summary is that Rei has clinical depression and therapy could be going better. Solid Rei story, though characterization is perhaps a bit more cynical and nihilistically apathetic than she is in canon, in case that's something of a dealbreaker for you (excessively extended review/reason for recommending in spoiler tag)
(Hope this isn't too long for this kind of thing) So there are two main reasons I recommend this one. The first is admittedly a bit of a personal one. Rei's my favorite character in the entire franchise, and I think a lot of that affinity is rooted in how I relate to her. I won't get too much into it, but the main things I relate to her most on are her loneliness and isolation from others, her lack of self esteem that leads her to feel like she's replaceable and worth so little, and how (at least near/at the end of her character arc in Rebuild) she's looking for what her place/purpose is in the world is after having assumed for the longest time that that was something decided for her. And with all that in mind, I'd say this story captures that perfectly about her, and along with that, I think it manages to transpose those aspects of her into this version of her as elements of her depression rather well. And to a certain extent, the story does almost feel somewhat therapeutic in that regard (At the very least I'd probably recommend this as like a palate cleanser if you've read a bunch of Kadmon's other stories right before).

The second reason, and partially why this is in a spoiler tag, is that I think it's one of the best depictions of what makes Rei and Shinji's dynamic work (mainly from Rei's side of the equation). As another preface (since this is like my first real post here so nobody knows me), I've read a lot of Rei/Shinji stories in my time as an Eva fan and their dynamic is probably one of my favorite in media (and also, yes I am an LRS fan, but I would uphold that it's more in a "I'm a fan of their dynamic as characters" kind of way than a "I need them to make out or whatever" way). That being said, I wouldn't really call this an LRS story, but funnily enough I think it manages to capture what the actual appeal of it better than a lot of stories that are actively romantic. A lot of Rei/Shinji stories kinda just bank on how they're similar in personality and demeanor, how their dynamic is a whole lot more stable than say Shinji and Asuka's, and/or how Rei develops feelings for Shinji due to him being the first person to genuinely care about her/treat her as a person. And I mean yeah, all that is true, but I feel like that's really just scratching the surface (or alternatively, they just arbitrarily make Shinji like Rei more. Which I mean, that's fine, but I also consider it kinda lazy as opposed to building off/up to that from their base friendship in canon). By contrast, I really like how Patient focuses more on how the reason they're able to bond is how Shinji is able to empathize with Rei: he's been where she is before, he knows what it's like to feel isolated and alone in your struggle. And because of that he's able to offer Rei what no one else up to that point really could: understanding. What Rei was looking for in her search wasn't a miracle cure, or to hear that she can "reinvent" herself out of her depression, it was for someone to finally be able to connect with her. Someone who accepted her for who she was, metaphorical hedgehog spines and all, and offered compassion and empathy without judgement. Someone who gets where she's coming from, and could sincerely give her hope that she could be free of her pain, that she could be happy as the person she wanted to be, and it's this empathy that's finally able to lead her to making that first real step forward.

They're kindred spirits, and they understand each other. Perhaps not in each other's entirety, but at least where it matters. And this story "getting" that about them and their bond (even if a bit abstracted from it's original form) is I think what made this of my favorite Eva fanfics of all time

TLDR: if you like Rei and you like her relationship (platonic or otherwise) with Shinji, you'll probably like this. Also if you've ever dealt with depression or have just been feeling down in general, maybe this could help give you insight. I know it did for me.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14002112/1/Quickening by Adam Kadmon

The second one I wanna recommend is Kadmon's (current) most recent story, and in contrast to the thing I wrote above, the main thing I have to say about this one is that I think it's one of the funniest fanfics I've read. This one though I don't really want to say much about the actual content of it because I think it works better/is funnier if you go in the first time completely blind

For real, read the story first before reading this

So this is one I really wanted to talk about (as you can probably see by the post length), but again I find it hard to do so because as I said before, I feel like explaining it ruins the surprise of it and takes some of the fun out of the initial experience (though maybe that's just me). But anyways, there are two main sub-reasons why I really liked this one, the first being Asuka herself, and more specifically, how she's portrayed as an awful person. Now ok, I know how that sounds, but I swear I'm not trying to bash Asuka. What I mean is that Kadmon writes her a lot like how he wrote her in Electioneering, where all of her character flaws are amped to 11: she's stuck up, she believes she's god's gift to mankind, and she's condescending and dismissive to everyone else, viewing them as either objects that orbit her or as puppets that she can manipulate to do her bidding; and that makes her a great unsympathetic comedy protagonist. She's written a lot like the characters from Always Sunny are, where the comedy mostly comes from watching them be total jerk to everyone else in pursuit of whatever highly questionable goals they're trying to achieve, and then laughing when things don't go their way because, well, they kinda had it coming (again, just wanna reiterate that I don't hate Asuka). Which adds another layer of irony in how not only does she end up succeeding in bringing Rei and Shinji closer together, but also in the fact that this is a Kadmon story and could've gone a whole lot worse for her and all the other characters. And yet because (or in spite) of her, somehow it ends up working out.

Which brings me to the second reason I thought this one worked, and the main reason why I'm so adamant about not spoiling it: the way that I did not see the ending or several of the events leading up to it coming. Which is to say, I did not expect it to go from "parody/affectionate satire of Eva fanfiction (specifically LRS stories)" to a genuinely kind of sweet and wholesome pseudo-start to what would otherwise be an honest to god LRS story. At multiple points I kinda just assumed I knew where it was going (the end of the first half, the scene in the beginning of the second half, several midpoints in the second half, etc.) and expected it to veer off into an Asushin story or something...and then it never does that and ends up committing fully to the idea of Asuka trying to set up Shinji and Rei together. Which in and of itself is an amusing concept, even setting aside Asuka's actual motivations for wanting them to get together, but the way the story so firmly commits to this idea of Rei and Shinji getting closer through/despite Asuka's shenanigans (and despite the multiple points at which it could've just gone with an Asushin route and then decided not to) is just really funny to me. Also, as a quick tangent, another funny thing I've noticed: Kadmon mentioned preferring Rei and Shinji as a pairing in that one parody he wrote, and mentioned shipping in regards to other stories he's written about them, but I always sorta assumed he was just being sarcastic about that. But this coupled with Patient kinda leads me to believe that he was actually being sincere when he said that, which I find hilarious.

While we're on the subject, another thing I find interesting about this story is how it's kind of a case of having your cake and eating it too. The first part is essentially half composed of snippets of an actual, sappy, self-indulgent LRS story, liberties taken with Rei and Shinji's characterization and all, but it manages to get a pass due to the fact that it's even more fictional than the story around it by virtue of it being in-universe fanfiction. Then in the second part where Asuka enacts her plan to get them together like in "Impact of Love", it doesn't actually go her way as Shinji and Rei are still Shinji and Rei, and their characterizations of being extremely timid and excessively indifferent respectively are fully intact. But then by the end of it all, for completely canon-compliant reasons, they do end up genuinely growing closer and start opening up to one another. Of course it does ultimately end here with them just starting to become better friends, with the epilogue showing that they continue getting to know each other better (and I guess the slight implication that they might be more than that now, but that's more up for debate), but again, considering who wrote this and the nature of how the story started out, it going from parody to somehow heartwarmingly played straight was...well, certainly unexpected.

Also just as one last thing that I found funny that didn't really fit into the above two reasons: I like how "Impact of Love" is written like a real, sappy romance novel with tension and build up as it gets progressively spicier as it approaches it's... uh... "payoff". And then meanwhile, "Love Strikes" (the one with Asuka in it) is written more like the start of a porno that's pretending to have a narrative. Which again, going back to how Adam Kadmon of all people is apparently a fan of this pairing is just very funny to me

All in all though I must say, I'm almost a little disappointed. I've read a bunch of posts on here saying how Kadmon's stories are some of the darkest and depressing (if at least well written) stories in our fanbase's collective fanfiction library. But all I found were a lighthearted comedic story and a...well, less lighthearted but still genuinely uplifting one. This is a joke btw. I have read the FF.net version of Witness, I know what the original version is about, and I've read what you guys said about some of his other stuff
Jokes aside, it does kinda make me wonder what caused him to mellow out, cause a bunch of his other more recent stuff is also decidedly lacking in sudden swerves into dark tragedy(though I haven't read Imaginary Number yet so maybe he hasn't lost his edge).

Anyways, this is like my first real post here so I apologize if this isn't how you're supposed to write these posts. And also for subjecting you to my ramblings if you read all that^
Last edited by MsenjaKagami on Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:43 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Jokes aside, it does kinda make me wonder what caused him to mellow out, cause a bunch of his other more recent stuff is also decidedly lacking in sudden swerves into dark tragedy(though I haven't read Imaginary Number yet so maybe he hasn't lost his edge).

Wisdom that comes with a couple more years under one's belt, probably.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:55 pm

Yeah that makes sense. Considering his first stories were written and published over 10 years ago now, that much time probably gives a person a lot more perspective.

Tangentially related to that, this doesn't apply to these stories, but it's fascinating to me whenever I read some of the older stories that do still hold up and I think "damn these were made when I was still in elementary/middle school". Hell I think some of the ones from the early 2000's predate my ability to read
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:05 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Windup Heart: an Evangelion fanfic by Telegraph Nine.

that one is sooo good. that person really knows how to do sci fi
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:08 am

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:
All in all though I must say, I'm almost a little disappointed. I've read a bunch of posts on here saying how Kadmon's stories are some of the darkest and depressing (if at least well written) stories in our fanbase's collective fanfiction library. [/size]

Kadmon is a technically capable writer. His stories are basically all well-written and run the gamut between happy to bittersweet to "where's the brain bleach, I don't want to remember this". The later examples, you might have to look beyond FF for some of them, are some of the most...difficult to read fics in eva that aren't written purely for shock value like certain aquatic themed author.

Return to “Fanfiction”