-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: -46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I think you're mixing it with the early draft of 3.0 (which is available in the bonus of the 3.333 blu-ray): the surprise timeskip was already decided by the time 2.0 was released (Kaji mentioning the tale of Urashima Taro was a foreshadowing), Anno didn't got past initial ideas and plans for this movie (the NTP was made using what few elements he made from that initial idea).

Yeah. Anno has likely some initial ideas (like Commander Nagisa and ViceCommander Kaji), but I really doubt he has a lot planned for his original of a movie without Shinji.

In fact, Kaji being alive (and living in Neo NERV) in the imageboards of an early version of 3.0 shows that he sacrificing to stop the Third Impact wasn't always planned. That said, Kaji being absent in 3.0 implies that the staff had already decided that he was dead at that point.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But in the end, the second half was pushed to Thrice. I don't think that we have explanations on why did Khara decided to do that, maybe we'll get more info in the CRC? One theory that I've seen is that after the devastating 2011 earthquake and tsunami, they removed the second part because having a group of survivors surviving in makeshift house would hit too close to home (since that was happening to hundreds of thousands of Japanese at that same moment), but this is just speculation.

Honestly, I think it's just that they don't have enough time to properly develop the characters.

In the imageboards, the scenes of Shinji reuniting with his friend and Rei Q finding a place happened very quickly.

I think the staff just noticed they need more time for a proper development of the events in the Village.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:26 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:In fact, Kaji being alive (and living in Neo NERV) in the imageboards of an early version of 3.0 shows that he sacrificing to stop the Third Impact wasn't always planned. That said, Kaji being absent in 3.0 implies that the staff had already decided that he was dead at that point.

Kohji mentioning Kaji just after the Wunder's first battle in 3.0 could had mean that he was planned to still be alive at the time 3.0 was released. In fact, a lot of people in the forum thought that it meant that Kaji would appear in the last movie... well we got a Kaji indeed.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Honestly, I think it's just that they don't have enough time to properly develop the characters.

In the imageboards, the scenes of Shinji reuniting with his friend and Rei Q finding a place happened very quickly.

I think the staff just noticed they need more time for a proper development of the events in the Village.

The way the events are presented in the images we can see, I interpreted it as the end of the movie after Shinji regained hope and got his character development:
  • first you have Shinji with all his old classmates and Rei Q enjoying a dinner and laughing -> he got over his despair
  • the flash-backs to Rei II while he was going back home with Rei Q and Kensuke, making him stop and run somewhere else to cry -> I interpreted it as Rei II's death finally sinking him, and him wishing for Rei Q to stay because Rei II never could had this peaceful life to be the moment he moved on from her (making him surpass Gendo who never could move from Yui's disappearance, the parallel being even stronger by the fact that both are trapped inside EVA-01)
  • his resolve to go back to the Wunder to join the fight to fight his father -> he finally found his resolve and reason to fight, and just as he says that, the Wunder arrives, with Asuka landing in the Village with EVA-02 in a way reminiscing her first scene in 2.0, to mark the beginning of the next phase of his journey

We don't get to see what were the scenes planned to bring Shinji from the despairing broken husk in the red wasteland to his healed state at the end of the movie.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Kohji mentioning Kaji just after the Wunder's first battle in 3.0 could had mean that he was planned to still be alive at the time 3.0 was released. In fact, a lot of people in the forum thought that it meant that Kaji would appear in the last movie... well we got a Kaji indeed.

Honestly, I've never understand why that phrase implied Kaji was alive for so many people. Kohji's phrase just implies he admires Kaji.

Kaji living in Neo NERV in a early version of 3.0 makes a lot of sense when we consider ViceCommander Kaji was an older idea. That's why I think he doesn't appearing in 3.0 means they decided Kaji died.

Also, in the imageboards, Kaji has the role to show the red Earth to Shinji and mention Shinji was blamed for this (we don't have the dialogue, but the images make it pretty clear this is what he said). When Kaji didn't appear, the role falls on Kaworu.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:21 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Honestly, I've never understand why that phrase implied Kaji was alive for so many people. Kohji's phrase just implies he admires Kaji.

Kaji living in Neo NERV in a early version of 3.0 makes a lot of sense when we consider ViceCommander Kaji was an older idea. That's why I think he doesn't appearing in 3.0 means they decided Kaji died.

Also, in the imageboards, Kaji has the role to show the red Earth to Shinji and mention Shinji was blamed for this (we don't have the dialogue, but the images make it pretty clear this is what he said). When Kaji didn't appear, the role falls on Kaworu.

For Kohji, IIRC the rationale was that him realizing in 3.0 how much of a maverick Misato is implied that he joined the Wunder only very recently, and that he could have had this conversation with Kaji just before embarking. (ie they go for drinks, Kohji mentions that he'll be assigned to the Wunder, and Kaji gives him a heads up on the kind of person Misato is)
And there was also the assumption that knowing how Kaji is important in the story, and after his last scene in 2.0 being about how things reached a boiling point with SEELE and how Kaji's group was very probably what would had become WILLE, then Khara wouldn't had him just killed offscreen. Well Anno showed that he could do just that. :tongue:

As for Kaji in neo-NERV in the proto-3.0, I always wonder what would had been the planned justification for that: what does he brings to Gendo and Fuyutsuki at this point that would justify them keeping him around? I even wondered if the "Kaji" in this proto-3.0 couldn't had been a clone designed to manipulate Shinji! (he didn't seemed to had changed at all compared to 2.0)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:50 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:As for Kaji in neo-NERV in the proto-3.0, I always wonder what would had been the planned justification for that: what does he brings to Gendo and Fuyutsuki at this point that would justify them keeping him around? I even wondered if the "Kaji" in this proto-3.0 couldn't had been a clone designed to manipulate Shinji! (he didn't seemed to had changed at all compared to 2.0)

To be fair, Misato doesn't seem to have changed much once she lets her hair down. And the biggest physical change of Ritsuko is her haircut. Not to mention that designs weren't consistent in the imageboards.

I suspect the writers wanted a reliable character to reveal the information about the World to Shinji (so people won't doubt it). However, they decided Kaji died, then the role of revealing information about the World falls on Kaworu (the next better option in Neo NERV).

Regarding the in-story reason for Kaji in Neo-NERV proto-3.0, he was likely ViceCommander Kaji so I think SEELE "trust" him.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:08 pm

View Original Postwriter wrote:Now for some speculation, has it been considered that the Shinkinami known as "My original" in Thrice may be the one within Eva02 during Thrice, and that the Shinkinami we meet in Thrice is a clone of that Asuka, perhaps sharing her memories or at least knowledge of her life and experiences?

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question correctly, but there has been a lot of consideration of the Shikinami twins (see here, there, over yonder, etc.).

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:i hereby dedicate first reply to blindfolded best girl

Are those hieroglyphs I'm seeing?
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:12 pm

I was wondering if -46h might come out on Amazon, maybe sometime later. I think Khara might not want to disincentivize people from buying the BR/DVD if they could just watch it online. But that also means we'll probably not have an official sub (or dub) for a while. So we'll have to rely on potentially inaccurate fansubs?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:41 am

View Original PostAkko wrote:
View Original Postnerv bae#938700 wrote:i hereby dedicate first reply to blindfolded best girl

Are those hieroglyphs I'm seeing?

The common theory is that those are sealing glyphs like those on the pilars, DSS Choker or in Asuka's eyepatch, and that this blindfold is a prototype version of said eyepatch.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:47 am

dedicating this reply to the third picture from the tweet, perhaps not coincidentally depicting THIRD FUCKING IMPACT

that's actual third impact right?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:That's actual third impact right?

Probably, it looks identical to the one from EoE and it looks like it's in progress since you can see the earth gradually becoming "core-ized" in the pic and the crosses look different from 3.0 where they were frozen red.

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:48 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I'm not sure if I'm reading your question correctly, but there has been a lot of consideration of the Shikinami twins (see here, there, over yonder, etc.).

———
that's actual third impact right?[/quote]

Sure looks like it to me. I had an idea concerning Asuka being on the beach during EvaInfinite in Thrice. Perhaps the white beach does actually happen in NTE, the major difference being that Asuka wakes up on the beach alone. Shinji saves her during actual 3I and sacrifices himself, which is why she’s got so much anger toward him in 3.0. It’s not that he didn’t save her, it’s that he left her alone to deal with the post-impact world. And since the Shinji that was a part of 3I sacrifices himself, the clone that they pull from Eva01 has no recollection about the events.

This could be a different Asuka than the one that is cloned from the remains of Unit08, but in that case I believe she would at least been briefed. This leads into the concept of characters missing time and being trapped in the Dirac Sea, and maybe there’s some evidence of this during Thrice.

We see that when Shinji enters EvaInfinite he instantly knows what to do and where to find Rei, who is shown to have waited for significant time to complete her mission (getting Shinji to Gendoh). This leads to the understanding that Shinji is comfortable with EvaInfinite and must have experienced it during his merging into Eva01. How he gets put into a box and shipped off to space is anyone’s guess, but I’d guess that it is done with Shinji’s full knowledge, just not the Shinji from 3.0 (who only has memories of 2.0 due to being a recreation from that time). The last thing clone Shinji remembers is saving Rei. The real Shinji, who is still in Instrumentality, only arrives in Thrice when the clone accepts his fate and passes the barrier into EvaInfinite.

And thank you, those threads were exactly what I was looking for!
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:15 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:dedicating this reply to midori's mom (tentative name)

What's written on her hat? "charmy"?

As some people commented on Twitter, this girl looks like Shinji with a wig.

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:15 pm

I feel almost certain that’s Midori. not her mom. Her clothes look like something a slice of life character would wear and I think character design can make exact age hard to tell. Like in Q/Thrice Sakura’s probably in her early twenties (and is visibly older to Shinji, hence his confusion when she says ‘imouto’), but design wise wouldn’t look out of place as one of the pilots class mates and doesn’t look visibly older than the Curse of Evafied Mari and Asuka. While Yui, if her NGE age is a guide, was younger than pre-time skip Misato and probably a few years older than Midori and Sakura are, but looks/is designed far more mature/motherly.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:10 pm

Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:37 pm

Holy crap! Crops of the individual images:

SPOILER: Show

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:48 pm

Official account shared this too:

Nice cropping those.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 pm

Is this implying 3I happened just before 3.0?

EDIT: Hey hey, they're also selling new MP Eva merch at this expo... it's already surprising they're releasing stuff from the NGE canon... unless they're showing up in the movie?

SPOILER: Show

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:07 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Is this implying 3I happened just before 3.0?

Because there’s a new pink-hair Midori picture? No, I don’t think that’s evidence of moving Third Impact up 14 years. Seems more likely to me that she’s in a pre-flashback scene, set within a couple of days of 3.0, before a flashback to Third Impact (where we see her with brown hair, or her mom).

These new pictures confirm the presence of Model-02α-EIV! What angel is infecting its arm; 9th, 11th?

What Unit is pictured in the middle distance beyond Midori(‘s mom)? What angel died to make the further distant cross; 11th, 12th? What does the partial coreization of the earth mean?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:59 pm

Pretty sure it'll be Midori rembering N3I and Asuka remembering 3rd Impact.

EDIT: Screw that actually, that pic doesnt line up with the end of 2.0.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”