The Hunt for Episode 16 in HD

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
HARVEST
Adam

The Hunt for Episode 16 in HD

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:55 pm

So, it is now infamous that Episode 16's original 16mm negatives have been lost, and that the Blu-ray had to be an upscale from a Renewal DVD source taken from a 35mm interpositive.
However, this is incompetence from Khara's part, since the restoration for Episode 16 was done in 1080i HD back then for the Renewal DVD.
The series has been rebroadcast in other TV stations in Japan using the Renewal version, with some of these broadcasts being in 1080i HD.
The Renewal version has been broadcast at least five times in HD:
- BS11 (Jan - Jun 2008)
- TV Iwate (Jul - Aug 2009)
- Yomiuri TV (Jul - Aug 2009)
- Nippon TV (Jun - Aug 2009)
- Nankai Broadcasting (Jul 2009 - Feb 2010)

Now, I am looking across the Internet for an HD broadcast of Episode 16. As these broadcasts may be the only way to watch Episode 16 in native HD.
If Khara just went back to the original Renewal 1080i source and deinterlaced it, we would have a much better Episode 16.

I am hoping someone can give me leads to find this lost HD version of Episode 16.
There may be 1080i broadcast rips from over a decade ago but this may be lost already stuck in dead torrents.
We must preserve this episode of Evangelion in the best quality, to prevent this HD version from becoming lost media.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: The Hunt for Episode 16 in HD

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:48 pm

You'll probably need to go on Japanese bulletin boards and ask around there for this to be fruitful.

Another source to look for is pictures of cels on yahoo auctions and mandarake. If you can find a bunch of cel pictures from the episode it can be used to improve quality.
In and of itself, self-evident.

brandneweyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brandneweyes » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:31 pm

Hello. Now don't get upset, because my intent isn't to demean, but you sound like a typical Western fan. There is an HD version of 16. It was released back in 2003 along with the other episodes. As you can see from its screen caps, which I'm the author of, 2003's Renewal is very much so, with equally jaw-dropping color. https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/com ... 16_screen/ Mind you, I'm aware of the crushed blacks, but if it's an HD version you want, then KIBA 1004 has what you're looking for.
Last edited by brandneweyes on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:00 am

View Original Postbrandneweyes wrote: There is an HD version of 16. It was released back in 2003

High definition is described on Wikipedia as "generally any video image with considerably more than 480 vertical scan lines".

View Original Postbrandneweyes wrote: You'll have to pay a premium to import

In the US you can get the entire series with the movies for maybe $60 with over seas shipping and get it within days of ordering. NGE on Laserdisc is around the same price but is obviously more expensive to ship.

View Original Postbrandneweyes wrote: As you can see from its screen caps

Those aren't screencaps, they're filtered, edited, and resized. The edits of the night scenes have specifically been heavily brightened and tampered in a way that gives the effect of someone taking a picture of their TV with a phone. https://slow.pics/c/2F3CZFcl

brandneweyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brandneweyes » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:18 pm

Windows key+PrtScr is not considered Post-processing, nor is its definition. I have not editing a single aspect of the images in question. You can either choose to believe that, or think it's a conspiracy. But spreading baseless claims is a crappy thing to do, and is a reflection of your character. Strictly speaking Japanese animation, U.S. home video releases have a notorious reputation for being bad quality. And looking through your post on Reddit (though I could be mistaking Reddit for Imgur), you yourself laud the Renewal, calling it more than just a remaster. I own the physical copy of multiple JR2 HD remasters e.g. DYRL: BCBA-3171, DBZ's Deadzone: DSTD07851, Perfect Blue: GNBA-7534, Macross Plus: BCBA-3048 ect. ect. and can verify my 32-bit color/4:2:2 Chroma subsampling claim on all. Clearly Ep.16 has crushed blacks, even on JR2 DVD, but it also has 32-bit color/4:2:2 Chroma subsampling. And that's not limited to titles labeled as HD remasters by the way; I own multiple first edition copies with identical specs as far back as 2001.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:40 am

View Original Postbrandneweyes wrote:Hello. Now don't get upset, because my intent isn't to demean, but you sound like a typical Western fan. There is an HD version of 16. It was released back in 2003 along with the other episodes.

They mean in BD resolution.

Western fans, in my experience, are widely aware of the differences in media releases.
Après moi le déluge!

brandneweyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brandneweyes » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:26 pm

Yeah. But "...BD resolution.", is only as good as the video. Meaning unless video has been optimized for that storage format, the initials have no significance. You can stick rough looking DVD video on Blu-ray, e.g. ANSX-3935, but that won't change its quality, no more than playing MP3 through quality speakers will suddenly change the recording. Don't get me wrong, when Blu-ray is Blu-ray, then it's worth it. E.g. Millennium Actress: BCXA-0815, Devilman: BXCA-0628, Valley of The Wind: VWBS-1110, Memories: BCXA-0091, GiTS: BCXA-1230, ect. ect. But Ep.16 on JBD is significantly inferior to 2003's release. You'll also be hard pressed to find a JBD that outshines its HD remaster, which is why you'll notice my listed examples were never given the aforementioned treatment, but instead a Blu-ray equivalent.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:42 pm

View Original Postbrandneweyes wrote:Yeah. But "...BD resolution.", is only as good as the video.

Right, and OP's premise is to secure good video. No one has said that the BD for ep 16 is better than Renewal. The premise suggests the exact opposite, so I'm not sure what your contention is.
Après moi le déluge!

brandneweyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brandneweyes » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 pm

Correct. But the Renewal of 16 offers more than fantastic video, with equal stunning color and detail, as my provided screen captures clearly show, crushed blacks aside. I know Windows+PrtScr captures the monitor's resolution, not the video, but in 480 on an LED television, you'll think it was 4k.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:20 am

View Original Postbrandneweyes wrote:Correct. But the Renewal of 16 offers more than fantastic video, with equal stunning color and detail, as my provided screen captures clearly show, crushed blacks aside. I know Windows+PrtScr captures the monitor's resolution, not the video, but in 480 on an LED television, you'll think it was 4k.

I'm not denying that, I proudly own a copy. But that's not really the point.
Après moi le déluge!

brandneweyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brandneweyes » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:38 am

Suppose then I'm misunderstanding. He cites Renewal's 16 as being scanned in 1080i, but then asks where he can obtain a copy featuring those same dimensions, stating it must be kept in the best possible state. If latter's the case, then the home video release (of JR2 HD remasters, and Blu-rays) has what he wants.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”