Evangelion platinum boxset (2006)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Altholas
Embryo

Evangelion platinum boxset (2006)

•      
  •      

Postby Altholas » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:02 pm

Hi all!

First off, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I am new to the forum!

I was wondering if anyone here knew much about the Evangelion platinum boxset from 2006. I saw a few articles about it a couple of years ago claiming there was a variant of it worth as much as £800-£1000, and was wondering if anyone was able to confirm if this was made up or is accurate.

Unfortunately I am unable to find the article after all these years, however I think it was referring to the "flat pack" 7disc version with All 26 episodes on 7 DVD Discs with remastered video and audio, 4 directors cut episodes, 8 animatic episodes, 10 commentaries, 4 documentaries and it including the 60 page cinematic booklet.

I read that this was an expensive version as it had additional extended directors cut episodes, making it very desirable.

I picked up what I believe to be this version of the release in 2006 In the UK, so it would be a great help if anyone could confirm if it actually has a value anywhere near that amount!

I have pictures of the boxset I can post if that can help anyone determine if I have that version!

Thread moved - JoelcrNeto

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Evangelion platinum boxset (2006)

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:26 am

The Director's Cut versions became standard from the time they were release - they don't add any rarity value.

There is an old summary of releases here; the episode numbers with an apostrophe are the DC versions. I'm not sure how accurate it is; it doesn't include UK releases, and my UK version of the tin box (Platinum Perfect) edition includes extensive printed material (a booklet which includes all the content from the booklets of the original separate disks, plus some decent postcards) - so I'd be surprised if the US version had nothing as this listing claims.

Anyway, "value" is nothing inherent - simply what it gets bought and sold at. Check out what sets like yours go for on eBay (but note that a lot of Platinum sets sold there are fake copies, not originals). I paid £45 for my set 15 years ago, but I've no idea what it would fetch now; remember that values were somewhat high during the long period that the US/UK editions were out of print, but now there is a readily available Blu-ray release, who knows...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Altholas
Embryo

Re: Evangelion platinum boxset (2006)

•      
  •      

Postby Altholas » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:07 am

Thank you very much for the detailed information on this and the link!

I picked mine up in the UK for about the same price, I'm fairly sure it's the platinum perfect version as it includes the postcards / booklet with art etc.

I've been thinking a lot about selling it as I haven't really watched the series on dvd for a long time now, ever since it became available on Netflix tbh!

I saw someone posting it for £700 on eBay, but then another Listing fairly recently for as low as £100, so hopefully I can get a decent chunk of change for it!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”