Garden of Eden?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Garden of Eden?

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:41 pm

In the 21st episode, the Geofront is revealed to Fuyutsuki as something they uncovered that was preserved that way.
Could it be (figuratively or literally) the Garden of Eden?

Maybe the black moon was the garden that humans were banished from so long ago.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Garden of Eden?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:12 pm

This is one of those cases where I feel like there's a divide between out of universe themes and in-universe lore; out of universe (if my admittedly somewhat shaky memory of ep 21 is not failing me), it makes sense for the Black Moon to be figurative for the Garden of Eden in some capacity, but in-universe I think that would be pushing the interpetation a bit far
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:42 am

Are there any previously discussed explanations for how perfectly landscaped the Geofront was? It seems to be presented as a long forgotten paradise.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:52 pm

Geofront is stated pretty early on to be manmade
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:22 pm

The early introduction is "this is our secret base"; the reveal comes a lot later

Episode 21 wrote:FUYUTSUKI:“What is this?”
IKARI (OFF):“A cavern left behind by someone, who was not us. Though eighty-nine percent of it is buried.”

but it is likely that the parklands and gardens surrounding the NERV pyramid were planted when the underground base was being established within the FAR artifact.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

gelflinghand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gelflinghand » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:03 pm

The landscaping would be recent, but if Lilith has been there the whole time, then yes, the Geofront is where the first humans were created, and they could well remember it as a paradise after they were sent out to populate the rest of the planet.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:12 pm

The further thought occurs that they set up base at ground zero of mankind and called it "Project Eden". It seems to be recognised as a figurative or literal Eden in universe.

The landscaping and building being their own work makes sense though. It should have occurred to me that if they'd had time to start the buildings they would have had time for gardening too. :facepalm:

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:04 am

I wouldn’t say humans were created in the Geofront. The themes of evolution running through Eva and the section on Lilith in the Classified Information implies there’s a sort of pre-programmed evolution going on, that Lilith releasing the primordial soup of LCL will inevitably develop into Lilin to receive FAR souls. I don’t think vegetation would grow naturally in the Geofront without the light reflectors/condensers they’ve constructed.

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:44 pm

Perhaps the garden of eden was the south pole where Adam was found rendered inert by the Lance of longinus after first impact and got frozen over due to climate change

jimmyanderson2023
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jimmyanderson2023 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:44 pm

It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I am new here. The reason I'm here is because I'm watching Garden of Eden. I love it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:49 am

That line in ep 21 is the closest the show comes to explicitly confirming/mentioning the precursors/FAR.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:46 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:This is one of those cases where I feel like there's a divide between out of universe themes and in-universe lore; out of universe (if my admittedly somewhat shaky memory of ep 21 is not failing me), it makes sense for the Black Moon to be figurative for the Garden of Eden in some capacity, but in-universe I think that would be pushing the interpetation a bit far

As we know from the Bible, God created Adam and Eve. However, later the devil in the form of a snake on legs told Eve to eat the forbidden fruit, she with Adam ate and everything fell apart.

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:04 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:In the 21st episode, the Geofront is revealed to Fuyutsuki as something they uncovered that was preserved that way.
Could it be (figuratively or literally) the Garden of Eden?

Maybe the black moon was the garden that humans were banished from so long ago.

Hm.....I think there isn't really such a place in NGE. Humans weren't ever really banned from the black moon, they and all other life on Earth just originated from there.

I know all of the religious ideas are applied rather loosely but there isn't really an equivalent to humanity's fall from paradise i.e. Eden, it's something they were born with from the beginning (the fruit of knowledge, i.e. guile and intelligence) rather than a choice someone made.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”