Evangelion: Perfect Dub

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Osoa
Embryo

Evangelion: Perfect Dub

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:26 pm

If you're like me, then you're stuck between the two NGE dubs: ADV and Netflix. On the one hand, you have the iconic and irreplacable performances of actors such as Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant, but on the other, you have an overall more polished performance from background actors and higher-quality sound effects (looking at you, jam gun sound effect from EoE). I personally choose to go with the ADV dub as some of the original performances are just so good (apart from the first few episodes, that is), however some of the slip-ups and mistakes really take me out of the experience sometimes. So, I decided that I may as well fix them.

My aim is to primarily use parts of the Netflix dub, alongside corresponding parts of the Rebuilds and the original Japanese audio to create, in my opinion, the best possible dub of Evangelion we're going to get until (if) a new dub is ever done. I don't want to change any major voice actors from ADV (maybe except for Hyuga, as I simply think his voice is a bit too goofy) and instead correct errors and replace more minor roles. So far, I have only completed Episode 1, but plan on doing the entire series and End of Evangelion. I want to release Episode 1 and a changelog today, so that any of you can take a look and point out any suggestions / errors in your own time, if you want to. I don't have a specific schedule for when to release a new episode, but I hope I can find the time to finish the entire project.

It also seems like there's two other projects similar to mine (Definitive Dub Project and Dub Genesis). I don't intend to compete with or detract from the others, so please check them out if you want. Dub Genesis seems to be inactive but DDP is making good progress.

Here is the changelog for Episode 1 (if it doesn't specify a Rebuild title or specific dub, it's from Netflix):
3:44 - replace "direct hit on the target" and scream after
4:30 - replace generals
4:50 - replace generals
5:11 - replace generals
5:24 - "get down" replacement from 1.11
5:48 - replace celebrations
6:28 - replace "status of the target"
6:33-6:54 - replace almost everything, apart from "it's a demon!", because you know, religious symbolism and all
9:09-9:24 - replace generals
11:50 - "hi there ritsuko" from 1.11
12:00 - "sorry" from 1.11
13:24 - replace scream from 1.11
14:05 - lowered volume on Misato's gasp

And here is a link to the project's folder: https://mega.nz/folder/aKB2iQhZ#vlFbBhTRqEbr95cooDhS1Q
Last edited by Osoa on Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

Re: Evangelion: Perfect Dub

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:11 am

Great to see some alternative takes on a Definitive Evangelion Dub! From what I can tell here, it looks like this project will only cover the original show and EoE? While mine is a merged dub taking the best aspects of both and throwing them together into one product, this one is looking more like a touch-up of ADV's effort. So I'm assuming pretty much all named characters will be from ADV? Looks great! I'll follow this one alongside working on my own!

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:17 am

View Original PostCoolJosh2002 wrote:Great to see some alternative takes on a Definitive Evangelion Dub! From what I can tell here, it looks like this project will only cover the original show and EoE? While mine is a merged dub taking the best aspects of both and throwing them together into one product, this one is looking more like a touch-up of ADV's effort. So I'm assuming pretty much all named characters will be from ADV? Looks great! I'll follow this one alongside working on my own!

Yeah, I'm not interested in covering the Rebuilds (honestly, I think the funimation dub is overall pretty good, shame it's not widely available) or Death and Rebirth. The only character I may completely swap from ADV to Netflix is Hyuga, I think the rest of the primary / secondary cast do a good job, especially as the series progresses. Thanks and good luck on your project, I'm following it closely too!

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:40 pm

So, I've made a few more edits to Episode 1, here's the full changelog:
3:44 - replace "direct hit on the target" and scream after
4:30-4:37 - replace generals and align pen snapping with video
4:50-5:02 - replace generals
5:11 - replace general
5:24 - "get down" replacement from 1.11
5:47 - replace celebrations
6:03-6:14 - replace picking up car from 1.11
6:16-6:26 - replace Misato's lines from 1.11
6:28 - replace "status of the target"
6:33-6:54 - replace almost everything, apart from "it's a demon!", because you know, religious symbolism and all
9:09-9:28 - replace generals and align first line with video
11:49 - "hi there ritsuko" from 1.11
12:00 - "sorry" from 1.11
13:24 - replace scream from 1.11
14:05 - lowered volume on Misato's gasp

There's a few more places that I tried really hard to replace using both 1.11 and the Netflix but simply couldn't get it to sound believable, those being:
    • The lights going dark when Shinji first sees the Eva
    • Misato's reaction to them using Unit 1
    • Misato being upset that her dress got dirty
The new version is on the project's mega folder.
I will move onto Episode 2 soon, however I am busy over the next couple of weeks so progress won't be as fast as it has been for Episode 1.

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:48 am

Episode 2 is done. I may try and polish it a bit more sometime soon but to be honest my mental health hasn't been doing the best as of late and I struggle to find the moitvation to do this. I am determined to finish it, but it may be quite a while. Hyuga is in this episode, and I will come back to him and replace his lines with the Netflix actor if I can confirm that all of his lines are replacable throughout the entire series. Until then, he will stay as the ADV dub.

Here is the changelog:
4:10-4:45 - replace all seele members except gendo
5:16-6:18 - replace all selle members except gendo
9:03-9:08 - replace "that's right"
21:18-21:30 - replace scream with Japanese

As always, the video and audio file can be found on the project's MEGA folder.

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:41 pm

A "perfect" dub would need to be done completely from the ground up with a new voice cast and better translations.
I'm just here for the fan art.

Blockio#938367 wrote:it will be in your best interest to shut up.

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:19 am

View Original PostAngel wrote:A "perfect" dub would need to be done completely from the ground up with a new voice cast and better translations.

True, I have thought of this and may change the project name later on, just don't take it too literally at the minute.

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:06 am

Episode 3 is up now. After watching this, I may completely replace Toji, Kensuke and / or Hikari as well as Hyuga, however like Hyuga I don't want to do that until I am certain that every instance of them speaking can be safely swapped without causing issues. As a result of this, I've decided I'm going to release two versions of each episode: a 'Revamped' version and a 'Overhauled' version. The Revamped version won't fully replace any actors that won't be completely safe to make the edits to and will try to be as seamless as possible in it's edits. The only issue I've noticed so far are clicks when an edit occurs due to one clip being implanted into another. There doesn't seem to be a lot I can do about that at the minute but it's not too noticable. An example being Keel Lorenz, who I'm pretty sure can be fully replaced without issues or immersion breaking. The Overhauled version will come after I've finished the Revamped versions and will attempt to fully replace several characters, currently those being Toji, Kensuke, Hikari and Hyuga. I can't assure you all that this will be completely seamless though, and I will probably have to mix and match actors, which some people won't like. That is why I'm doing it in two versions. Due to this change, the project's name will probably change sooner or later, just not sure what to.

Here is the changelog:
Episode 3 Revamped
3:47 - remove 'huh'
19:12 - replace scream with Japanese
19:24-19:37 - replace scream with Japanese

Episode 3 Overhaul
5:33-7:32 - toji, kensuke and hikari
8:49-8:57 - hikari
9:40-9:44 - hikari
9:45-10:24 - toji and kensuke
11:23 - hyuga
12:34-12:44 - toji, kensuke and hikari