Some questions about those 17 flashing pictures in the beginning of the ep22

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
J-1011
Embryo

Some questions about those 17 flashing pictures in the beginning of the ep22

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:25 am

Hi, I'm a new fan of EVA. Nice to me you!
Recently, I re-watched the NGE and I am pretty curious about the 17 flashing pictures in cut 308 of episode 22. Those pics are presented in some special ways (such as image inversion, reversed colour, etc.), which makes me feel that they have some implications (for example, they may indicate Asuka's inner activities, which is about what Asuka is contemplating during the month when Shinji is dissolved in ep.20).
So I looked for the source of these pictures and now there is only one pic whose origin is unknown(as you can see below). Looking forward to a hero for helping me.

EDIT:
Good news, my hero save me by his word:"it origins from the opening". God bless him!
Last edited by J-1011 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-1011
Embryo

Re: Some questions about those 17 flashing pictures in the beginning of the ep22

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:59 am

And here, I'd like to share some ideas about those pics. Although I have little knowledge about the graphics editor (Sorry for that haha..), I will post my thought based on how it changes the pics to explain my point.
For instance:
Pic No.1
origin:
(ep.09 cut 287)
Asuka(to Shinji): “Full power, maximum speed from the start, got it?”
Changes of the pic: reversed color + cold color
-------
what Asuka said reminds me of the fight in ep.19
At that time, just like what Pic No.1 hint(Full power, maximum speed from the start), Asuka attack Zeruel with all her might but fail, and Shinji, who appears with his great 400%, knocks down Zeruel.
Thus, the reversed color may show the anger about her powerlessness and envy. Cold color means that she feel upset about losing to Shinji again.
Last edited by J-1011 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

J-1011
Embryo

Re: Some questions about those 17 flashing pictures in the beginning of the ep22

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:15 am

Pic No.2
origin:
(ep.15 cut 031)
Asuka(thinking about Kaji): “He's always out lately, no matter when I call.”
Changes of the pic: Some kind of filter? With a cold color atmosphere
-------
Since Shinji disappear in EVA-01, he never show up again in Asuka's life no matter how she hates/misses him.
Just like the cold color shows, what a cold man Shinji is... and that kind of filter make it like an old picture. So Asuka may be just thinking about the two men that she cares about but unfortunately, she loses their connection.

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:26 am

Pic No.3
origin:
(ep.18 cut 031)
Asuka: “It's obvious. The three stooges are about the only ones who don't see it.”
Changes of the pic: reversed color + warm color
-------
Personally, I think color reversion may be indicating emotional exchanging. From pic. No. 2 to No.3, the color gets warm. So I guess now Asuka begins to miss Shinji (Since she said in the following: "Actually, he's the most dense of them all." and begin to swing her feet unconsciously)
Last edited by J-1011 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:42 am

OK, let's continue.
Pic No.4
origin:
(ep.9 cut 012)
BOY (OFF): “and she's here in a foreign land with a heart that can't be mended.”
and then Asuka gives those letters a War Stomp
Changes of the pic: turn into black and white
-------
That's reminding me of the scene just before(Asuka: "I'm not interested in stupid brats!")
And also her comment on Shinji in ep. 10 (Asuka: “What a boring guy.”)
Thus, though the talk with Hikari arouses some romantic expectations for Shinji, indeed, that will be a pale daydream since he has let her down so many times.
Just like what this pic says: "she's here in a foreign land with a heart that can't be mended."

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:12 am

Pic No.5
origin:
(ep. 8 cut 124)
Asuka(speak to Shinji): "You're coming too!"
Changes of the pic: rotate 180 degrees, with warm colour and maybe filter of Gridding?(Sorry I don't know how to describe it...)
-------
That's an interesting transformation in the picture. In my point of view, I reckon this changing as "reverse fact/expectation". What I mean is that for example in the pic, Asuka asks (or we can say "invite") Shinji to come with her. Relating the nearest time Asuka "invite" Shinji is on the next episode(ep. 09). That's the Wall of Jericho.
Thus, Asuka invite Shinji to come with her, but Shinji didn't make any action at that time, Asuka think that he turn her expectation down.
Hence, as we can see when Arael attacks Asuka, it reminds her about the scene above and Pic No.6(I will explain it soon).
But still, that didn't thwart her to invite Shinji with a kiss in ep. 15, the background colour is still warm(or it just means that when Asuka is thinking about this moment, her anger does not reach its climax). About the grid, currently, it doesn't pop up with any idea. (maybe is your turn, great!)

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:38 am

I don't know excatly how to proceed here as a mod, but we don't allow multiples posts in a short time period, with some exceptions.
By the way, we have an article on the Wiki which talks about these frames: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_An ... Evangelion

I could merge your posts, but you've posted so much to the point where it's a little tricky.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 am

Pic No.6
origin:
(ep. 9 cut 357)
Asuka(delightfully "dance" with Shinji) fight against Israfel
Changes of the pic: rotate 180 degrees + reversed colour
-------
Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win! And dance reminds me of the kiss of that night in ep. 15
“Hey, Shinji, do you want to kiss?”. Asuka invite Shinji with a kiss, but Shinji didn't give her anything even a hug. Without satisfying what Asuka want, thus, Pic No.6 rotate.
So it hurt so much, just like a needle pierce deeply into her heart. Hence the colour reversed to express the sadness and fury in her heart.
Finally, it will change into a scene mocking her failure, just as we will see later in the battle of ep. 22.
Last edited by J-1011 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:49 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:I don't know excatly how to proceed here as a mod, but we don't allow multiples posts in a short time period, with some exceptions.
By the way, we have an article on the Wiki which talks about these frames: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_An ... Evangelion

I could merge your posts, but you've posted so much to the point where it's a little tricky.

Oh, sorry about that. I didn't know that it will post multiple times, sorry for the inconvenience. So should I just delete this Subject?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:59 am

No, keep it the way it is. I would just like to say that you can use the "edit" button to add or modify the content of your post.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:05 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:No, keep it the way it is. I would just like to say that you can use the "edit" button to add or modify the content of your post.

Got it! Thank you so much and sorry again for my folly.

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Weird trivia but every image in this sequence is found on the Collector Discs minus the last one, so these are all most likely sourced from the scans of the cels they used for that. For the frame of Asuka and Shinji in Eva 02's cockpit, the background only matches with the Collector Disc image, not the frame in the show.

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:40 am

View Original PostZeruel48 wrote:Weird trivia but every image in this sequence is found on the Collector Discs minus the last one, so these are all most likely sourced from the scans of the cels they used for that. For the frame of Asuka and Shinji in Eva 02's cockpit, the background only matches with the Collector Disc image, not the frame in the show.

Interesting Point!, I didn't note that before, thank you. You mentioned the frame of Asuka and Shinji in Eva 02's cockpit, maybe the one you talk about is this one:
and maybe it is just taken from the ep.8 and crop it to make this frame focus on Asuka, I guess.
There are many flashing frames in Episode 22 and I'm just curious about which episode they come from, just to indulge my curiosity haha... Anyway, thanks again for your hints!

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:53 pm

Yeah that's the frame I meant. Here's a comparison with all three versions (episode 8, episode 22 and the cel scan) aligned https://slow.pics/c/vinY30fD

You should be able to notice the clouds only match between the last two. There's another similar sequence at ~21:30 in ep 22' which also uses these cel scans, one of them is from episode 16 and aside from it being the same cel there's a steam effect missing (meaning it's not just taken from episode 16) Again kinda random and not super useful but it's just interesting info for me. Also generally I can identify the episode any given frame is from, the disc release it comes from and pretty much any animation cel. It just comes with spending thousands of hours/dollars on this series.

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:50 am

Wow, that's... amazing! You are really an expert that put me to shame. You mentioned the one from episode 16 with the steam effect and I suppose it's this frame:
and corresponding to ep.22 is the one below.
Hum... Interesting, I didn't notice that before, thank you. And also I'm just curious about why the shining sunlight is missing comparing these two frames from ep.22 and ep.16:
Your word enlightens me a lot about why some of those frames are different from their original episode, thanks! Thus, that can explain why the frame at around 21:41 in ep.22(the tube in the classroom) is different from the one in ep.18.(or maybe I find the wrong place haha, never mind).
Recently I'm just searching for where those 3 flashing sequences in ep.22 come from and I found that there are still 5 frames that can't be found in the series.
Though I think it's just because I am not careful enough to find them, finding out the truth is always fascinating. What you said is right, maybe I should just look for the disc version/cel scan for searching it. Thanks again and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:07 pm

That frame of Tokyo-3 from episode 16 is missing the lighting because these cel scans are just that- scans of the cels. They didn't need to add the extra lighting or other effects. The scan of Kaworu in the bath is completely missing the blue tint they added later, along with the steam effect.

You'll also notice these cels are less cropped than the show, but even then they don't show the entire thing. Here's the sources of those frames you point out in the order you posted them: 22 (OA), 26, 11, 1

I skipped the middle frame, because it's so distorted that finding the source is harder, but I know it's not from the show. It's either hanken artwork or a picture of a figure (both of these are used in EoE)

J-1011
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby J-1011 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:01 am

Real omniscience! Please allow me to offer up my sincere gratitude to you.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”