Concurrency Project 2.0

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

neo
Embryo

Concurrency Project 2.0

•      
  •      

Postby neo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:48 am

Hi all! I am posting this on behalf of Concurrency2.0, who is the person responsible of making this project/version of the concurrency theory.

This is a HQ recreation of the OG Concurrency Project made by Sailor Star Dust and SommenRider, that was finalized over 12 years ago. This version is in 1080p, and uses the best subs possible. This is the best possible way to watch the Concurrency Project with the best possible script.

Sources:
| 25 and 26 use yurasyk video, 5.1 FLAC audio and dekinai subs.
| End of Evangelion is McBaws
| Test-type is encoded from the disc, with ac3 audio (losslessly transcoded to FLAC so it can be merged with the other audio tracks)
ALL audio in the project is Japanese, there is no English track for either dub.

Gdrive: "folders/1qKmkCZ3EkwBOh8XyxvVfxOp4t0FuYe7D"
Nyaa: "The Concurrency of the End of Evangelion 2.0"

If you have any suggestions, feel free to message Concurrency2.0. ^_^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFO File

This is a recreation of The Concurrency of the End of Evangelion 0.00 (v3) by Sailor Star Dust and SommenRider.
The original project used low quality footage and had some questionable editing in places. The goal of this project was to recreate the vision of the original but in far higher quality.

All video here is reencoded from the source and subs are hardcoded. If youre curious why, check the FAQ.
I'm aware this release is not completely optimal but its the best I know how to do and WAY better than the original. If you have suggestions for improvements in methodology or other changes comment in the evageeks thread or message Concurrency2.0 on evageeks. There may also be general mistakes I didn't catch, in which case they will possibly be fixed in future releases.
If you're going to complain about the release being sub-optimal then please, go make a better version yourself.
Do not use MPC to play the video! It has issues with the splicing that no other player (I have tested) has. If your video player isn't working, use MPV.

Sources:
25 and 26 use yurasyk video, 5.1 FLAC audio and dekinai subs.
End of Evangelion is McBaws.
Test-type is encoded from the disc, with ac3 audio (losslessly transcoded to FLAC so it can be merged with the other audio tracks).

ALL audio in the project is Japanese, there is no English track for either dub. If there is high demand for a dubbed version I might consider making one.

FAQ:

Q: Can I repost this to Rarbg/MySpleen/WDMA/etc?
A: Yes, just please do not change the nfo or at least keep the info in the upload description.

Q: Why is the video reencoded?
A: I couldn't splice the original video sources together due to differences in codec etc. In addition, due to the way h264/h265 work, unless I was cutting exactly on keyframes it would cause corruption and artifacting. The only fix I could find for this was to reencode to one consistent codec and do the encode at the cut points.

Q: Why didn't you encode from a disc/remux?
A: The encodes I used made significant improvements over the original disc, done by very skilled encoders. I do not have the skills or time to replicate their work on a fresh disc, so I used their encodes as a base instead.

Q: Why are subs burned in?
A: Splicing them together caused the subs to lose their formatting and for some of them to not appear or appear incorrectly. I have no experience with creating and editing subs beyond OCRing so my fix was to burn them in. Considering no other sub tracks exist for this video (original project subs wont work as the video timing is not the same), I don't think its a huge deal unless you speak Japanese and don't want subs.

Q: Is the audio reencoded?
A: No. All of the audio is the same quality as it was in the source encode or disc.

Q: Why is some of the audio glitching out?
A: I noticed this happening in MPC, however it does not happen in MPV, VLC PotPlayer. It seems to be an issue with MPC not handling the places where the video is spliced very well. If your video player has issues, use MPV!

Q: Can you do a dubbed version?
A: Maybe if theres enough demand.

Q: Where can I contact you?
A: Concurrency2.0 on evageeks

neo
Embryo

Re: Concurrency Project 2.0

•      
  •      

Postby neo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:02 pm

Unfortunately, neither me or Concurrency2.0 have Nyaa accounts so we can't directly respond to this. But, to the guy who quoted the word restoration, even though its used no where in the torrent name or description, do you even get the point of this recreation project? :uhh:

As stated, if you have better ideas or suggestions, feel free to comment here or message Concurrency2.0. Complaining about the way they did it without offering an alternative is pointless. :tongue:

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:29 pm

There's an alternative for every point you list in the FAQ, you just refuse to do things properly. Nyaa commenters are generally pretty dumb but in this case they're all correct, this release is embarrassing.

Concurrency2.0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Concurrency2.0 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm

Are you going to name the alternatives? The release is far higher quality than the original project, which was the main goal, not to make a perfect optimal release because I know I dont have the skills for that. I dont see a way to splice the videos together without reencoding or combine the subs without causing them to stop working properly, but since you apparently do, Id love to hear it and then I can do a newer release with those things fixed.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Moderation Warning

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:58 pm

View Original PostZeruel48 wrote:[...] you just refuse to do things properly. [...] this release is embarrassing.

I'm watching closely, and this comment sounded agressive to me.
I ask that everyone maintain order here.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 am

This is actually very nice to see, thank you! Back in the day Concurrency was a very popular and fun idea, so it's nice to see it resurrected.

I don't see what's the big deal here? Maybe you can just call it a remake or a tribute or whatever then. Semantics. If one prefers it to have the original quality that's fine and all, but most people interested in the whole idea of Concurrency just want to see. I highly doubt either SSD or SommenRider would mind, even though they haven't been active for ("only") the past year. In fact, I might be misrembering the context, but I'm pretty sure there was interest on their part on redoing it at some point in much the same way. From some quick search through the EGF Discord backlog:

Either way, there's nothing stopping people from making their own version.

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:21 am

View Original PostConcurrency2.0 wrote:Are you going to name the alternatives? The release is far higher quality than the original project, which was the main goal, not to make a perfect optimal release because I know I dont have the skills for that. I dont see a way to splice the videos together without reencoding or combine the subs without causing them to stop working properly, but since you apparently do, Id love to hear it and then I can do a newer release with those things fixed.

There's no way to splice videos together without reencoding, but you could've used one of the Blu-ray m2ts sources as a base. The 25 and 26 bits admittedly could look worse but the burned in subs cancel that out. I don't know why your subtitles won't combine, because while tedious it is 100% possible to do that. Some other notes:
-the test type OP has poor deinterlacing(?) artifacts and is sometimes just not deinterlaced at all. I believe the US/JP Blu-ray version of this is higher quality than the 2003 DVD.
-There's a split few frames at ~1hr33m where the subtitles for FMTTM are still visible
-Not sure if it's your encoding or what but the deleted live action scene is a lot crustier than the BD extra. The reality is that splicing SD DVD content into HD Blu-ray remasters is never gonna work.
-I'm gonna assume the "fair use" cards are just inherently part of the original (since you didn't bother remaking them) but this is absolutely not even close to fair use, so it seems redundant to include them when they're also very out of place.
-Another thing I'm not sure I can entirely blame you for, but the editing is just very poor and feels like little thought was put into it. Scenes cut between the two entirely separate endings throughout, and the extended OP/ED is just kinda there somewhat half way through. Scenes will abruptly cut between the two main sources with different music which is super distracting.

From both a technical and idea perspective, this project doesn't work. The amateur editing, poorly inserted DVD content and burned in subs will drive anyone who cares about quality (which a decent amount of people on nyaa do) away. The base idea is an insult to the original creators, and when it's all put together it completely falls apart.

Concurrency2.0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Concurrency2.0 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 am

View Original PostZeruel48 wrote:There's no way to splice videos together without reencoding, but you could've used one of the Blu-ray m2ts sources as a base. The 25 and 26 bits admittedly could look worse but the burned in subs cancel that out. I don't know why your subtitles won't combine, because while tedious it is 100% possible to do that. Some other notes:
-the test type OP has poor deinterlacing(?) artifacts and is sometimes just not deinterlaced at all. I believe the US/JP Blu-ray version of this is higher quality than the 2003 DVD.
-There's a split few frames at ~1hr33m where the subtitles for FMTTM are still visible
-Not sure if it's your encoding or what but the deleted live action scene is a lot crustier than the BD extra. The reality is that splicing SD DVD content into HD Blu-ray remasters is never gonna work.
-I'm gonna assume the "fair use" cards are just inherently part of the original (since you didn't bother remaking them) but this is absolutely not even close to fair use, so it seems redundant to include them when they're also very out of place.
-Another thing I'm not sure I can entirely blame you for, but the editing is just very poor and feels like little thought was put into it. Scenes cut between the two entirely separate endings throughout, and the extended OP/ED is just kinda there somewhat half way through. Scenes will abruptly cut between the two main sources with different music which is super distracting.

From both a technical and idea perspective, this project doesn't work. The amateur editing, poorly inserted DVD content and burned in subs will drive anyone who cares about quality (which a decent amount of people on nyaa do) away. The base idea is an insult to the original creators, and when it's all put together it completely falls apart.

As I already said, the encodes I used as a base look better than the m2ts. An encode made from the m2ts would have been worse than an encode made from them due to the visual improvements encoders like Jensen are capable of which I am not. As for the subs, I'm not entirely sure what the issue was. I could combine them, but it caused many of them to stop working properly, as in some subs would just not appear or would appear drastically incorrectly. I don't think most people would be making their own subs for a project as custom spliced as this, so I really don't think it would affect 99% of people.
-That could be fixed
-Just checked you're right its one frame I missed because theyre faint. As I said in the original post its likely theres things I missed so I appreciate pointing things like that out.
-That could be worked on
-Correct they are directly from the original and just there to maintain the 'feel' and be as close to a recreation as possible
-Yeah I wish I could fix that but as you seem to understand I'm working with cuts someone else determined without the dialogue/music stems, so not a ton of wiggle room there

Return to “Fan Works”