Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:29 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I found Doan's Island to be a massive waste of time, whatever that's worth. WFM is still great though, very eager to see what the Char/Gendo clone is planning lol.

Doan was just very bland. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. I'm a HUGE Kai fan though so I got some screenshots and had some fun seeing him interact with other characters.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:03 pm

I found a playthrough of the G-Saviour videogame; interesting case, this one.
SPOILER: Show
The story is pretty good, if in need of some streamlining to get rid of some of the clunkiness; dialogue ranges from serviceable to a bit more campy than I'd like, but never really crosses over into painful, and with the exception of the bridge operator who sounds like they just got Jane from accounting to do the job, the voice acting is also pretty serviceable, especially given the era. I also did not expect the game to actually be voiced in English in the first place.
The base outline is quite cool, suppressing a series of attempts to stage a coup d'etat by right wing radicals under the lead of an overly ambitios military strongman a plot beat that has aged a little too well for my personal liking, but politics, and fairly systematically shutting down their access to ressources and facilities until they are finally cornered.

But what was incredibly funny was the very last line of the ending crawl invoking F91's "this is only the beginning", and then much like F91, GS bombing so hard that it never got a proper followup
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:06 pm

Finally sat down to watch War in the Pocket. Show good; didn't super blow me away or anything, but bar some mildly egregious choices in the music department that kinda kill the mood of some scenes, very competently made
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:55 pm

G-Witch has been delayed to December 25 and January 8, so while I can't quite hope to see the series finale on Christmas Day, it looks like I have something big to look forward to.

This episode, to quote Palpatine, was "a surprise, but a welcome one". The backstory and setup for the G-Witch world continues to get more and more complicated, and in a good way. LFrith Ur and Thorn look they'll be a bigger threat to our poor heartbroken tomato-haired tanuki than the Pharact, Michaelis or Beugir-Pente could ever be.

Although I think the A-Eri-Al theory is where things are going, I won't be surprised if LFrith Fehu or LFrith Oss turn out to be the mystery unit that hasn't hit store shelves yet, and I won't be surprised if Miranda Mercury, aka evil Ericht Samaya, lands up piloting it! :kaos_akuma:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:15 am

Watched the first two thirds of Stardust Memory today; I don't think I like this show. Most of the Fed-side plots are moved primarily by means of idiot balls and the ways in which the show plays favorites with Zeon has a very uncomfortable ring of irl nazi apologist rhethoric to it. I'm gonna finish it, but especially with the reputation that precedes its final handful of episodes, I do not expect this to end up even in the top two thirds of Gundam shows

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:32 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Watched the first two thirds of Stardust Memory today; I don't think I like this show. Most of the Fed-side plots are moved primarily by means of idiot balls and the ways in which the show plays favorites with Zeon has a very uncomfortable ring of irl nazi apologist rhethoric to it. I'm gonna finish it, but especially with the reputation that precedes its final handful of episodes, I do not expect this to end up even in the top two thirds of Gundam shows

That was the last UC Gundam I watched as well and while I didn't love it I think I enjoyed it more than yourself. I know Japan loves it; apparently in the 90s it kept trying to outdo all the other OVA's increasing its budget and getting more and more flashy. The action scenes are pretty good though and I personally enjoyed the final confrontation.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:15 pm

It is a very prety show, definitely, the occasional jank shot of the GP01's head nonwithstanding. But plot-wise... eh.
EDIT: Finished it, and picked up the two Mayfly of Space episodes along the way.
That... fucking sucked. Somehow, the show has managed to frame Bask motherfucking Om in a more sympathetic way than most other Fed officers. Bending over backwards to make the Feds look bad while sucking off the space nazis is a really bad look for a franchise that even at this point already had a problem with people fetishizing Zeon into being um akshually the good guys

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:33 am

I'll never understand the stuff with Nina's character at the end of 0083. One of the most forced plot twists in this entire franchise.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:57 pm

It's definitely up there, but I feel like it's more the result of a larger amount of dubious decisions leading up to it rather than the root of the issue

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:49 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:It's definitely up there, but I feel like it's more the result of a larger amount of dubious decisions leading up to it rather than the root of the issue

There's a manga artist I'm friends with and I knew he enjoyed 0083 from a time we did karaoke together and he busted out the OP. I was talking to him about it when I started the anime and said something like "Yeah, Nina's kind of cute maybe I'll draw her." He gave me a very enthusiastic "No! Wait until you finish the show!" So I kind of had that spoiled for me, haha.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:12 pm

Thinking about it, I almost wonder if Nina's character isn't supposed to be riff on the female characters from Zeta Gundam being uh, flippers. That show at least has lolPaptimus mindhax stuff people can point to to justify it (As unconvincing as those arguments may be), but the 90's OVAs downplay Newtype despite similar characterization issues that goofy psychic connection stuff in older shows at least somewhat solves.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:55 pm

I've never thought about it from that angle, but that would make sense on some level, if it's supposed to be very pointed shade thrown at Zeta

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:38 am

I wouldn't even say its shade necessarily, but it IS a very Zeta-esque bit of character development for the show that's somewhat of a lead-in to Zeta.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:52 pm

The finale for G-Witch's first cour finally dropped, and WOW, it sure makes me wonder how the next cour in April is gonna go ahead. I put the image below in spoiler tags because it's fairly large - and it's a spoiler that makes perfect sense once you've seen the episode to the very end.

(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:53 am

Yeah, that went PLACES. Show good, can't wait until we get more

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:57 am

I just caught up to G-Witch myself and yeah, what a heck of a ending! It's like Suletta has turned out to be, idk, Todd from Breaking Bad or something. It's a very different dynamic from previous "sociopathic" Gundam protagonists like Heero or Mikazuki at any rate. Wild stuff. I'm also really excited to see how things play out in season 2. Hopefully the "Sunrise season 2 curse" thing doesn't come into play here.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:11 pm

Watched Build Real with some friends; fun little show! Very cozy atmosphere, low stakes, but still meaningful plot, and a surprising amount of pretty genuine feeling pain train early on. Solid 7/10 show, good way to spend an evening

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:25 pm

I skipped on Build Real since I thought the pre-Rerise Build series were all bad enough to begin with and could not imagine the live action format not making it somehow worse.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 pm

I take offense to Vanilla Fighters and Beginning G being bad, that was quite lovely. But yeah, Try and Vanilla Divers were not great. But no, Real is actually quite a fun little watch. It's very whimsical and cozy, great show to just unwind with

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:10 pm

After eight(8) months of being in publication, we have finally seen a Gundam in the flesh in Despair Memory Gundam Sequel. It's quite a ride so far, but I'm enjoying it, and I do rather look forward to what's to come based on the vague promises the manga suggests

Return to “Anime and Manga”