POLL: Does a preference for Rei vs. Asuka affect preference for TOS vs. Rebuilds?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Angel
Banned

POLL: Does a preference for Rei vs. Asuka affect preference for TOS vs. Rebuilds?

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:15 am

PLEASE vote here:

https://strawpoll.com/polls/B2ZB3MV7zyJ

Just gathering data to test a hypothesis.
I'm just here for the fan art.

Blockio#938367 wrote:it will be in your best interest to shut up.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: POLL: Does a preference for Rei vs. Asuka affect preference for TOS vs. Rebuilds?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:35 am

Pity you can't check two boxes, because shipping is a plague on the fandom, regardless.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: POLL: Does a preference for Rei vs. Asuka affect preference for TOS vs. Rebuilds?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:29 am

Your hypostasis is probably correct, Angel. It's actually a nest thing to point out. I'm more of a LAS guy and I definitely prefer the original series (though for different reasons of course). It's probably not that common to find an OG Asuka fan who loves these movies (I'm not saying it's impossible, obviously).
Anyway, I would like to point out two things:
- Most people divide Soryu and Shikinami into two different characters and both have different fans.
- I would say that the movies appeal to LKS fans a lot more than LRS fans, to be honest. So you have to take that into consideration.

And, yeah, shipping is a cancer.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:31 pm

I'm a big fan of Asuka's character, but if forced by gunpoint I suppose I'd say a Shinji/Kaworu relationship makes the most sense to me, and I prefer TOS/EoE. Despite featuring more in Rebuild I don't think he's as coherent as a character and I don't like the redesign, he looks too manicured.
Après moi le déluge!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Voted plague! :asuka_urdead:

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:52 pm

Same :P
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:41 am

I did my part.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Urlance Woolsbane
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Urlance Woolsbane » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:21 pm

To the extent that I ship anyone, it's Shinji + Kaworu, but my disdain for the Rebuilds has nothing to do with Shinji's love-life and everything to do with their shoddy, unsubtle, "why show when you can tell?" characterization. Though I gave up after the first two, I'm given to understand that
SPOILER: Show
Shinji and Mari wind up together
which I wouldn't mind, were it portrayed artfully and convincingly, but nothing of what I've seen or read gives me any confidence that that's the case.

To put things in a more positive light, what I love about TOS is the depth of its characterization, its subtlety, and its respect for its audience. Shinji could be in a relationship with Ramiel, for all I care, and I'd still enjoy any iteration of NGE where the above held true

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:07 am

View Original PostUrlance Woolsbane wrote:Though I gave up after the first two, I'm given to understand that
which I wouldn't mind, were it portrayed artfully and convincingly, but nothing of what I've seen or read gives me any confidence that that's the case.

In my opinion, that’s probably the only option for Shinji. He’s already moved on from the others and decided to take a fresh new start.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:02 pm

Well, this confirms not one, but two hypotheses I had:

1) Red Team skews overwhelmingly toward the original series and EoE while Blue Team has more balanced preferences; and

2) This particular forum is skewed even more toward Red Team overall than most English-language Evangelion fan communities are, most likely as a result of an unofficial moderation practice of banning anyone who posts particular canon facts about Asuka that they don't like (note to mods: you can delete posts but you can't delete people's memories).

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I'm more of a LAS guy

movies appeal to LKS fans a lot more than LRS fans

Lolwut

View Original PostUrlance Woolsbane wrote:I'm given to understand that
which I wouldn't mind, were it portrayed artfully and convincingly

Spoiler alert: it isn't. It pretty much comes out of nowhere 30 seconds before the credits start rolling, and there's not even a lot of evidence that they're "together" beyond Mari's general flirty behavior and a bit of hand-holding.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:44 am

View Original PostAngel wrote:2) This particular forum is skewed even more toward Red Team overall than most English-language Evangelion fan communities are, most likely as a result of an unofficial moderation practice of banning anyone who posts particular canon facts about Asuka that they don't like (note to mods: you can delete posts but you can't delete people's memories).

If you're gonna post bait, at least try to make sure it holds up to basicmost scrutiny. Rei is a strong contender for being my favorite character in all of media, a fact that I have never been secretive about, and one that would certainly have prevented me from becoming a mod were your little conspiracy theory anything resembling true; nor do we delete people saying unfvorable things about Asuka, another fact that would be easily verifyable by looking through the threads and checking how many of them are expolicitly about how horrible Asuka is or isn't.

I'd also like to point out that unlike having a favorite character, baseless accusations of mod abuse very much are something that you can (and will!) get banned for. Consider this the only warning you well get.
We have dealt with more attempts at disruption by the nutcases calling themselves Rei Defense Force than I care to count; we have zero tolerance towards the exploits of them or their sympathizers. Take your personal crusade elsewhere.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Me: Praise the poll idea and share the link around to help you.
Also me and the other mods (apparently): Asuka fans who went undercover to destroy the "blue team" and defend the honor of fictional characters.

"Blue team", "red team"... Man, that's depressing.
We rarely delete posts, by the way. And when that happens, it's usually because we're dealing with some kind of spam thread or something.
Even if we wanted to, for some incomprehensible reason, we wouldn't need to waste time defending Asuka from Rei fans. Our site is civilized, everyone respects each other and there aren't many fanatical Rei fanboys out there anymore.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:29 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:everyone respects each other and there aren't many fanatical Rei fanboys out there anymore.

it's because they all grew up and realized Asuka is best girl

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:46 pm

I've been using a Rei avatar for a long time. This help a bit? :tongue:
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:41 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:nor do we delete people saying unfvorable things about Asuka, another fact that would be easily verifyable by looking through the threads and checking how many of them are expolicitly about how horrible Asuka is or isn't.

I'd also like to point out that unlike having a favorite character, baseless accusations of mod abuse very much are something that you can (and will!) get banned for.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:We rarely delete posts, by the way. And when that happens, it's usually because we're dealing with some kind of spam thread or something.

As I've already said, you can delete posts but you can't delete the memories of the people who've seen those posts. Actions speak louder than words. I won't get any more specific than that because I didn't start this thread to discuss those posts or actions. Let's move on.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:09 pm

Angel, you have just recieved a warning not to spread baseless accusations. If you lie about this one more time, it will have consequences for you.
Unless you have hard evidence of these posts we supposedly deleted because they don't fit whatever site groupthink you claim we have, it will be in your best interest to shut up.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:01 pm

I really can't separate the Rebuilds from TOS; it's all interconnected into one big Evangelion experience for me and it'd feel incomplete without both. I prefer Asuka though ^_^

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:02 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Angel, you have just recieved a warning not to spread baseless accusations. If you lie about this one more time,

My accusations aren't baseless and I never lied. I did, however, use the word "unofficial" for a reason. "Unofficial" can be interpreted in a lot of ways. Perhaps you're interpreting it more personally than it was intended? For all you know, I could be referring to the actions of someone who isn't even a moderator anymore. I have been lurking since 2015, after all, and only started posting again when I learned about MidJourney-generated fanart (in keeping with my signature).

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Unless you have hard evidence of these posts

That's an impossible demand when deleting posts necessarily means deleting evidence.

View Original PostBlockio wrote: it will be in your best interest to shut up.

a) that's very disrespectful language. As a moderator, you should set a better example.

b) I suggested moving on. I'm ready when you are.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:24 pm

Angel, I understand that you might not be talking about us. But what's the point of bringing it up then? Apparently, these people aren't even here to defend themselves anymore.
I too was a lurker for a long time, I know a lot of people who helped keep the site together for many years and I can tell you that didn't happen. Even the most absurd and ridiculous comments like "Asuka is canonically homophobic" were not deleted. So if something was deleted, there was probably a reason for it. I know this is bullshit because Asuka's die-hard community thinks the same of us.
Also, sorry to say this, but basically there is no "blue team" anymore. The whole idea of dividing the fan base like that is preposterous, but I'm not talking about that. Rei isn't as popular anymore and the discussion nowadays revolves much more around Kaworu and Asuka (possibly because of Q).
In any case, we respect everyone's preferences here. We're not perfect mods or anything. I've apologized before for some misfortunes I've had with other users. But you can't drop a bomb like that and expect us to say nothing. Blockio is a mod and he called you out. If you wanted us to move on, you could've just listened to him. You can always use the feedback thread if you want.
Also, don't ignore warnings in bold red and try to correct the staff like that. You're in thin ice and about to get yourself banned.

Now we're done here. Let's focus on the poll results.

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:51 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote: You can always use the feedback thread ... we're done here.

Noted. Factual corrections to your claims will be taken to the appropriate location.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”