Eva VHS English subtitles?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Shaundu
Embryo

Eva VHS English subtitles?

•      
  •      

Postby Shaundu » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:30 pm

Apologies if this is the wrong board for this kind of request. I’m working on a project regarding the Japanese -> English translation of Evangelion, specifically of episode 24. I was able to obtain a copy of the ADV Platinum Collection DVD for this episode, but I’m unable to obtain the VHS copy nor find the VHS translation script online. Does anyone have the ADV VHS English script for the 24th episode, or could you point me to where I could find it? Thanks!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Eva VHS English subtitles?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:17 pm

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shaundu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shaundu » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm

I did look into this, but it seems like it makes edits that deviate from the true original VHS subtitles, based on what screen-caps I can find from that original version. If the true original subtitles are somewhere in that download, then I must be missing it…

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:10 am

In addition to the corrected subtitles, there is a Corrections spreadsheet included in the download. You can use this to manually replace the corrected subtitles with the original uncorrected subtitles.

However, even if you do this, you probably won't be able to restore 100% of ADV's typos. While you can rest assured that all translation changes are documented, there are a few very minor typo corrections that are not. Episode 24 happens to be the very first episode I transcribed (there's a reason for this), and early on in the transcribing phase of the project, I would make very minor corrections to typos on the fly, as I transcribed the episode. But it didn't take long before I decided even the tiniest of typo corrections should be documented, and so I was meticulous in this for the vast majority of the series.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles
The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation
Evangelion fan since 1996. Former Eva Mailing List member (late '90s).

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”