Can we create polls?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Angel
Banned

Can we create polls?

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:31 pm

If not, we should be able to.
I'm just here for the fan art.

Blockio#938367 wrote:it will be in your best interest to shut up.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Can we create polls?

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:21 am

No, we can't. I mean, this is not the purpose of this website.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:17 pm

I shall elaborate on what Joel said; EGF is not meant as a social media platform, it is meant as a platform for meaningful conversation. A poll option, which by definition is just a popularity vote with no further thought to it, runs completely antithetical to that. There are plenty of those around in Eva groups on Reddit, Twitter and Facebook (and to be frank: all of those places are utter cesspits in no small part due to the kind of popularity tribalism encouraged by features such as likes and polls, which we pointedly want to avoid here), so if you want a poll option, you should go there instead; the users on there will by nature of the platform also be much more receptive to engaging in that way.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:51 pm

Joel and Blockio pretty much said it. We've never allowed polls during our site's history for all the reasons previously mentioned, and to our benefit.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I shall elaborate on what Joel said; EGF is not meant as a social media platform, it is meant as a platform for meaningful conversation.

And that's why you have a forum section for topics like "which Eva kicks the most ass?"

View Original PostBlockio wrote:A poll option, which by definition is just a popularity vote with no further thought to it, runs completely antithetical to that.

It certainly CAN be used for that purpose, but it can also be used to gather information to fuel meaningful discussion. In my case, I wanted to see if people's preferred ships (or lack thereof) played a significant role in whether they preferred the original series or the Rebuilds. My hypothesis was that the original series would be overwhelmingly preferred by A/S shippers while people who preferred the Rebuilds would tend toward R/S. I could still ask, but polls produce higher-quality results than manually counting replies to a thread.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:35 am

For a purpose like that, you can always simply link a strawpoll, or any other free online polling service.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:35 am

I wasn't aware that any such thing existed

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”