Mari vs the Evas in the Paris battle

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Mari vs the Evas in the Paris battle

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:46 pm

View Original PostAsukaShikinami10 wrote:Exactly what I was thinking today. It doesn't make any sense that WILLE planned from the very beginning of Operation Paris the implementación of the overlapping system, since they didn't even know the Gates of Hell were still open.

I disagree. WILLE might have planned to implement the overlapping system, even though they didn't know the gates were still open, as a matter of contingency planning. They knew the gates existed, even if they didn't know whether they were open or closed. Ritsuko was familiar with Dr. Katsuragi's theories of evangelion imaginary, etc., and so it's quite plausible that she knew about the anti-universe and that it was navigable with an overlapping compliant eva unit. WILLE doesn't want to deal with any of that bullshit: they just want to shutdown Unit 13 before it activates. But as a matter of contingency planning, they have to be prepared for their first plan to fail because the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:21 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I disagree. WILLE might have planned to implement the overlapping system, even though they didn't know the gates were still open, as a matter of contingency planning.

A shame that they didn't planned a contingency for the case the enemy Eva with two entry plug slots would be a dual entry system. :rolleyes:
I think he issue is that this overlapping system is said in a throwaway line by Mari at the beginning of the movie, and then never mentioned again (I don't remember a scene like Ritsuko mentioning it in their preparations just before starting operation Yamato for example), so we're not sure what exactly it is and what's its purpose in WILLE's battle plan.
We guess that it was to kill and absorb the Adam's Vessels, but that might be instead to let Mari synchronize her Eva's AT Field with Asuka's for their special attack, or maybe its both.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:03 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original Postnerv bae#938166 wrote:I disagree. WILLE might have planned to implement the overlapping system, even though they didn't know the gates were still open, as a matter of contingency planning.

A shame that they didn't planned a contingency for the case the enemy Eva with two entry plug slots would be a dual entry system. :rolleyes:

I remember discussing this a bit last year:

SPOILER: Show
View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Maybe it's a translation issue. The Reichu translation gives:

(Beast Eva-02's A.T. Field body ruptures.
The two spears impaling Eva 13's chest smoothly slide out, and they fly toward [Eva-02's?] body.
Both hands that were fixed to the pedestal come out of the restraints, and Eva 13 stands up.
When it seizes Eva-02 -- which has returned to normal -- by the neck, its four glowing eyes turn towards Asuka.)

[01:27:56, 1378]

Asuka:
Wasn't it single-entry?

[[Reichu] NOTE: Presumably she's operating on the assumption that four open eyes = two active pilots.]

Under this translation, Asuka isn't surprised about the dual-entry configuration, but about the presence of two pilots at that moment in Unit 13. 3.33 established that the Ayanami type is not suitable for use in Unit 13 in some circumstances (okay, retrieving spears, but let's extend this to Impacting too) and that neo-Nerv's only pilot choices are Ayanamis and Nagisas; if Wille knows these facts then they must go into this battle believing Unit 13 has either zero pilots (if Kaworu is dead) or one pilot (if Kaworu has been zombified). But Wille never guessed that neo-NERV had Asuka's original up its sleeve, enabling the two pilots to be present.

Per this quote and a bit of the other discussion in that topic, we can understand why WILLE didn't have a contingency plan in place for this circumstance: There was just no way NERV could possibly have a second qualified pilot!

Although, admittedly, I will join you in rolling my own eyes at the script here because I can't remember why Asuka would be surprised about Unit 13 springing into action when ... uh ... WILLE is there to stop Unit 13 from springing into action. :rolleyes:

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I think he issue is that this overlapping system is said in a throwaway line by Mari at the beginning of the movie, and then never mentioned again (I don't remember a scene like Ritsuko mentioning it in their preparations just before starting operation Yamato for example), so we're not sure what exactly it is and what's its purpose in WILLE's battle plan.
We guess that it was to kill and absorb the Adam's Vessels, but that might be instead to let Mari synchronize her Eva's AT Field with Asuka's for their special attack, or maybe its both.

The overlapping system is not said in a throwaway line. Instead, the system is mentioned again during Operation Yamato, when after taking Shinji in Unit 08 into the anti-universe, Mari states: "Eva Unit 08 Improved is overlapping-compliant. By incorporating Vessel of the Adams, it's in an extra four-in-one state. So we can navigate through the anti-universe. Pretty nifty."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”