Can anyone verify the authenticity of these quotes?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Angel
Banned

Can anyone verify the authenticity of these quotes?

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:23 pm

SPOILER: Show

For those who can't see images for whatever reason: Anno basically says he made up a lot of the show's mythology as he went along. He says he came up with the name "Human Instrumentality project" in episode 2 just because the kanji looked cool, without having any idea what it would eventually be, and also says he didn't have a good reason at first for why the pilots had to be 14.

I just want to know if these are real quotes or if it's just 4chan being 4chan again.

EDIT:
When trying to show us n image, but the imgur link under a image tag. It will then show up to everyone - Bernardo
I'm just here for the fan art.

Blockio#938367 wrote:it will be in your best interest to shut up.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Can anyone verify the authenticity of these quotes?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:04 pm

If memory at all serves me, they're from the Anno at the elementary school interview thing; the bits that I do remember well are heavily misquoted to be much more "don't think about it, it means nothing" than the actual subs were
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:03 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:If memory at all serves me, they're from the Anno at the elementary school interview thing

I'm not familiar with that. Is a link or transcript available somewhere?

What about Sadamoto's quotes?

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:41 pm

A link would be here.
As far as Sadamoto goes; some time in the early 2000s, he has gone on record saying that he has not watched Eva beyond the single digit episodes and, judging by the things he blatantly gets wrong about the events of the show, it is fairly safe to say that years later he still hasn't. His involvement with the show was mechanical design, not writing; anything he has to say regarding the story and themes (especially the latter given his visible lack of understanding thereof again in Anima) is best taken with a massive grain of salt.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:58 pm

^ You’re talking about Yamashita here, right?
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:38 pm

Oh, right, got the names mixed up in my head, that one's on me.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:As far as Sadamoto goes; some time in the early 2000s, he has gone on record saying that he has not watched Eva beyond the single digit episodes and, judging by the things he blatantly gets wrong about the events of the show, it is fairly safe to say that years later he still hasn't.

This reminds me to ask:
Does anyone know if Anno and Sadamoto would have had any lengthy discussions about what was allowed to go into the manga? I'm interested to know if Anno set rules over what could be considered canon or if any character back stories in the manga might have been collaborated between the two of them.

I currently suspect that some of it came verbally from Anno, but we'll never know which parts (I'm just guessing here).

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:42 pm

The only thing I ever recall reading to that tune is Sadamoto (yes, actually the right name this time :misato_wink:) saying that the final chapter with Mari in it was his own thing, has no bearing on NTE and hasn't been substantially talked over with Anno, so I assume that he had a fair bit of freedom

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:31 pm

It was "his thing", after all. But I bet Anno had at least an idea of what was going on with the manga. Frankly, he borrowed a lot of stuff from it and that's pretty obvious.
Sadamoto did design Mari, if I'm not mistaken. So he probably knew a thing or two about her backstory and all (if that was even finalized when 2.0 came out, which I believe it was).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:50 pm

I think it's the other way around; it's far more likelys that Sadamoto included things he thought were cool from the production of NTE, rather than Anno seeing the manga and incorporating that.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:39 am

I think both things could have happened.
Anno is not as detached from his work as some may say. He likes manga and anime, so he probably did take a look at what Sadamoto was writing. In the end of the day, it's his franchise. He most definitely didn't supervise it or anything, though.
That's merely speculation, of course.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:19 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:A link would be here.

Well, that backs up the "I used it because it sounds complicated" quote.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:28 pm

Not in the "nothing means anything stop thinking about it" way that the screenshot is trying to imply. Sure, the original decision was probably made because it was a cool sounding word, but going forward from that, there was a lot of legwork put into working the aesthetic into the themes and lore

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:55 pm

I just meant "that's one source found, and all the rest still to go". We can worry about interpretation after the quotes have been verified.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”