Would you want Funimation to redub the series?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Sorry for creating a new thread, I didn't know this one already existed. On a related question for the admins, when does it change from "this post already existed so I'll post there" to "thread necromancy"?
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:57 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Going by what i know about the incident, i wouldn't be surprised if defensiveness of her directional choices had nothing to do with it.

It didn't. The post in question came pretty much out of left field, and there was no excuse for it. It was pretty vile.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:10 pm

If it means the series gets a proper DVD or Blu-Ray release, then sure why not.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:If it means the series gets a proper DVD or Blu-Ray release, then sure why not.

Don't the rights still belong to the people behind the former ADV?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Don't the rights still belong to the people behind the former ADV?

I'm assuming that if Funimation is redubbing it, they will have purchased the rights. Also, does ADV even exist as a company anymore? I thought they went out of business. If so, I believe all their copyrights would have expired.
Movin' Right Along

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Not necessarily. It's common for a basically defunct/nonexistent company to tie up distribution rights for years, trying to get a cut of the proceeds from further distribution, or hold out for more money.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:07 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Not necessarily. It's common for a basically defunct/nonexistent company to tie up distribution rights for years, trying to get a cut of the proceeds from further distribution, or hold out for more money.

But ADV's been out of commission for what, five years? I think there's an expiration date after which a defunct company can no longer reach from beyond the grave so to speak.
Movin' Right Along

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

What happened to ADV?

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 am

They're not ADV anymore, and they're not dead: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-01/adv-films-shuts-down-transfers-assets-to-other-companies

This has been posted like 5 other places on the forum already. ADV was dissolved into pretty much 5 companies that took over different aspects of what ADV was doing before they dissolved. There was 2 partnerships before with Sojitz and Sentai, where a bunch of licenses were acquired and they mostly went back that way. Sojitz was a financial backer back then and apparently most of the titles they licensed were with Sojitz's help. You may recall how Sentai Filmworks licenses stuff left and right, a lot of those were old ADV titles and some portion of ADV ended up as part of Sentai Filmworks. ADV's old broadcast service went to Valkyrie Media Partners and is being run as "The Anime Network", at the very least, they've got streaming rights and a satellite channel. ADV's production studios became Seraphim Digital, essentially all the post production stuff and dubbing that ADV did. ADV Films went to AEsir Holdings, and the rest became Section 23 Films. Section 23 still owns a shitload of old ADV titles including NGE. Section 23 is not a defunct company.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 am

My goodness, I missed the presence of Amanda Winn Lee? Well, now I'm all sad and cranky.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: What happened to ADV?

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:They're not ADV anymore, and they're not dead: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-01/adv-films-shuts-down-transfers-assets-to-other-companies

This has been posted like 5 other places on the forum already. ADV was dissolved into pretty much 5 companies that took over different aspects of what ADV was doing before they dissolved. There was 2 partnerships before with Sojitz and Sentai, where a bunch of licenses were acquired and they mostly went back that way. Sojitz was a financial backer back then and apparently most of the titles they licensed were with Sojitz's help. You may recall how Sentai Filmworks licenses stuff left and right, a lot of those were old ADV titles and some portion of ADV ended up as part of Sentai Filmworks. ADV's old broadcast service went to Valkyrie Media Partners and is being run as "The Anime Network", at the very least, they've got streaming rights and a satellite channel. ADV's production studios became Seraphim Digital, essentially all the post production stuff and dubbing that ADV did. ADV Films went to AEsir Holdings, and the rest became Section 23 Films. Section 23 still owns a shitload of old ADV titles including NGE. Section 23 is not a defunct company.

After a certain amount of time with no activity/releases, rights and licenses generally revert. At some point, they will go back to Gainax, but that doesn't stop Section 23 from suing, say, Funimation if they acquire the license, claiming they still own it. Even if their claim is still completely spurious, they can cause enough of a legal hassle that they may have a chance of being bought off in a settlement to drop it. This happens all the time.

I find this stuff fascinating for some reason.

Funimation or anybody else is going to run all this past their bean counters and legal staff and do a cost benefit analysis. There will probably never be another release of NGE, even if the Japanese do an enhanced Blu Ray transfer.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: What happened to ADV?

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:After a certain amount of time with no activity/releases, rights and licenses generally revert. At some point, they will go back to Gainax, but that doesn't stop Section 23 from suing, say, Funimation if they acquire the license, claiming they still own it. Even if their claim is still completely spurious, they can cause enough of a legal hassle that they may have a chance of being bought off in a settlement to drop it. This happens all the time.

I find this stuff fascinating for some reason.

Funimation or anybody else is going to run all this past their bean counters and legal staff and do a cost benefit analysis. There will probably never be another release of NGE, even if the Japanese do an enhanced Blu Ray transfer.

I think there's enough of a niche market for it that there will be another release at some point. We just have to wait until the licensing runs out it seems. Meh, it's not like the platinum collection is unwatchable or anything, the sparse menus and substandard picture quality just make it seem like I'm watching a bootleg.
Movin' Right Along

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 am

Wasn't it the general consensus that NGE wouldn't benefit all that much from a Blu-Ray transfer anyway?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:22 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wasn't it the general consensus that NGE wouldn't benefit all that much from a Blu-Ray transfer anyway?

I think we reached the conclusion that the whole series would have to be redrawn to see any significant improvement.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 am

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/375369/Eva-on-Blu-Ray/#375369

MassiveInvader
Adam

Re: Would you want Funimation to redub the series?

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:26 am

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:Would you want Funimation to redub the series with the their rebuild movie cast? I personally would love to see this happen as I prefer Funimations cast over ADV's

I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:11 am

I think they had the most expensive cast. Money was well spent though as their known anime actors suited the characters very well (namely Kaworu and Ritsuko).
I MUCH preferred Funimation's dialogue over Amazon's.
That said, I think it would be perfect to me if Amazon just used most of Funimation's script. The phrasing conveyed likeable personalities, some humour and added emotional impact.

As much as I love the funimation version, I really disliked that Kensuke's voice was too high and Kaji's voice was too low, it just didn't work for me.
ADV's Kaji will always be my favourite and he's gained a lot more acting experience since the 90s (I think he's doing Broadway now). I'm a little disappointed they didn't get him back in for an audition, I think he would have nailed it!

I wasn't crazy about Amazon bringing back Fuyutsuki and Maya from the EoE cast either as I don't feel their acting has improved.

Both dubs have their ups and downs.

tommysimon2023
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tommysimon2023 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:15 am

There is a reason for that. Yes, you are right.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”